What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Get Busy Growin' or Get Busy Buyin' II

5th

Veteran
Well I'm doing 3 troughs. 5 feet long, 8" wide, 10" deep. Wasn't gonna do nothing fancy...just potting soil, vermiculite, perelite, compost, and some casings with no drainage...but I'll do away with the compost n' casings as I plan on running an automated feed system myself...and my nutes seem to have everything the plants want. I wanna try coco...just so much to figure out with hydro....ahhh...the things to come...auto feeding...flip boxes...if your going deep....go balls deep I reckon'

no drainage? what kinda materials r u building ur trough's out of? i was thinking about using wood and coating it with something like rhino liner or something like that. B sure to post some pics of the stadium whn u get a sec, i'm interested to c what u have come up with.

bobblehead

Veteran
looks real good. One bit of advise though, is I wouldn't have left the opening in the reflectix. I would recommend covering the opening with reflectix, and using it as a door. It really makes a difference when you trap all the light, and we're talking about some solid light being lost to empty space right there... My $0.02...

5th

Veteran
Thanks for poppin' in Mega. Heres hopin' so.

I wouldn't have left the opening in the reflectix. I would recommend covering the opening with reflectix, and using it as a door.

It's been there since the start bro. Just didn't think anyone cared to see it. I don't think the plants would look as good as they do now if it was not part of the system.

It used to be held in place with zip ties...that got old fast...good old fashion duct tape does the trick though.

Thanks for poppin' in n' making sure my shits correct. :tiphat:

5th

Veteran
Can't believe it's been a week already...

Can't believe it's been a week already...

I really thought this was gonna drag on...but the past week really flew by...I'm hoping the next seven or eight weeks is like that. I managed to start weening myself from my plants...used to spend all the time in there...now I just sit around killing fools on Playstation, getting high, n' drinking beer....lifes rough...

Swapped out the tubes n' the Res. (tubes hold about two gallons incase of pump failure...might have forgot to mention that...)

No Idea how much water I added to the Res. ...but I filled it to the brim.

ppm-480
ph-5.9

Yeah the last picture is no hell...lights went out right after so it is what it is.

Got my half stadium built sublime...just can't show any pictures of the build ...security thing...built it in my rec. room....
Things just made up of scraps of wood anyways...nothing I'm overly proud of lol. I'll snap a few pics when I'm soaking myself trying to set up the drip system sometime this week though.

Take care all, n' thanks again for everyones input. :tiphat:

5th

Veteran
Decided not to bother with an automated watering system...I'm burning to much electricity as it is...not gonna fuck with another pump n' timer...maybe next time...lol...that being said...I don't plan on keeping this same setup. Hmmm...more flooded tubes...anyways...

Lil' experiment going on here...top row is 6 unrooted BBxNL clones.

Middle row is 6 rooted BBxNL clones...

...bottom row is 6 OG Kush rooted clones.

Tidy'd up the Kush mom...shes not all on her side n' shit anymore...gonna flower it when I flip this other room in three weeks...hoping my relay's will be here by then...

:tiphat:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
That OG kush is a weed. I just put some cuttings in to get some clones and it out rooted every thing else combined. I had like 6 strains I was cloning and ended up with almost all OG Kush. The others are coming slowly though.

Have you thought of blumats instead of the pump. You could then also just add the coco to your troughs and let the root intertwine.

Looks great.

5th

Veteran
Have you thought of blumats instead of the pump.

When I get blumats it'll be for this summers outdoor. I don't like growing in dirt....I do like hooking up a few hoses n' done.

I like smoking OG....I just never wanted to grow it was all. This ones stretchy as fuck in veg so I can only imagine end of flower.

And thank you. :tiphat:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Yes it seems to grow fast as all get up. I have been leaf pruning it to keep it shorter. Don't know how it will go as It is the first run of it for me.

I don't like dirt either. Much prefer coco.

looks good bro, better then what i threw together. hows the tubes looking bro? i bought the stuff to set up a flooded tube gro about 2 month's ago and never built it, was scared of snows and power outages this winter, and a crop failure. i think its snowed twice this yr.

5th

Veteran
Much prefer coco.
After staring at your buds...I can see why. Your grow is something to be really proud of.

i bought the stuff to set up a flooded tube gro about 2 month's ago and never built it, was scared of snows and power outages this winter, and a crop failure. i think its snowed twice this yr.

Ahhh man...I bought a Dewalt cordless drill, four extra batteries, and a drill mount pump for just such an occasion...pumps still in the package...
First snowfall last year was 4 ft...I've got green patches on my lawn at the moment...shits fuck'd.

My main concern with the tubes, was leaks...guess I worry to much...cuz the only way that'll happen is if I let the roots fill up the tubes with too much veg time...

Personally I think you should put yours together...but I'm biased like that :)

:tiphat:

5th

Veteran
Agreed. Where mine is more a "this is what you don't wanna do". Were both contributors in our own right.

Agreed. Where mine is more a "this is what you don't wanna do". Were both contributors in our own right.

nah ur gonna kill it man. whn u get that flip flop going and both flower rooms rocking, u wont know what to do with all the smoke.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Auto watering is worth it's weight in gold IMO. Looking great man, lets get this party started :)

Agreed it is the next thing on my list to get.

My grow also shows some mistakes if you know what you are looking for. I did not intend to run my thread as long as I did. To many people wanted it to run out to see what it could do so I ran it out to pay back the site for the info I got to set it up. You are doing great as well.

5th

Veteran
Thanks for the kind words guys. Means alot.

Just a few questions though...

Did a Res. swap/ tube flush three days ago.
ph was 5.9 ppm was 480

...well three days later n' I'm at a ph of 6.6 with the ppms at 370...
also down about 10 gallons of water(Res. holds 16 gallons)...I was gonna do a swap out tomorrow.

Whatever it is...plants seem to like it....

Yeah the questions, 1. should I up the ppm's when I swap out next?
2. Is ph 6.6 to high on average?

Everytime I take off a leaf to get at the flowersite underneath...I'm finding more good flowersites (good as in not the shit I'll be hacking off after stretch)...3. Anybody defoliate during the first 3 weeks of flower?

Thanks again for the words n' the help fellas. :tiphat:

Just jacked this from Farmhouses thread, whilst out looking for answers...

Makes perfect sense to me Bro.....ppm`s droppin over a couple days and ph risin couple points sounds like that "circadian rythym" for dialed results......

Since aero`s the fastest hydro setup there is as far as increased metabolisms and supposedly faster finishes , then the accelerated growth at 3 weeks in oughta be right on track for swellage once stretch is over....

Make sure you keep the plants opened up and breathing/transpiring/absorbing lumens ftw , and don`t let em choke each other out where they`ll compete for light and environment......sideways canopy is EVERYTHING......

With my ebb and flow buckets I had a topoff rez R/O and full strength juice that alternated since I only went to each setup once a week and it would keep nutrient concentrations steady to a certain extent and ph levels in the mid 5`s to the low 6`s week to week.....

You might wanna consider doin the same thing since your plants are suckin so much juice and droppin ppm`s.so fast....

Once stretch was over I kept close to 750 ppm`s and by the time I got back a week later , they`d be in the mid 600`s from adding the topoff juice....

Just something to consider and make your life easier.....and.....the bitches don`t like bein jacked up with ppm`s and let down couple days later....so.....figure somethin out my buddy...

6-750 ppm`s across the board will make yas happy.....guaranteed.....ran em for too many yrs ....

Good luck Bro....DHF....:ying:......

Last edited: