What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Vert Bulbs

mg75

i use 1000w plantmax at the moment. looks like it works good. i was using 600w hortilux before.

mg75

the new hotilux are digital ballast friendly and will work on both. they are enhanced in their safety.... it says on the box.
old-stock hortilux might end their life prematurely on digital ballasts.

get the new ones!

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm going to Ushio's in my 600's also..but really as long as it is nekid it will work!

C

Cheeb

I've found MH lamps just radiate too much damn heat.
Had heat stress with a vertical MH where HPS did not show damage at the same distance.

In regards to the Hortilux BLUE MH lamps.
1000w units are in fact horizontal operation only.
The 400w units are available in HOR and Base UP. 2 different bulbs. Most shops carry the Horizontal unit, but should be able to order the base up lamp for vertical use.

Mister_D

Veteran
Ushio opti-red 600w all day long. Agro-sun red 600w is also a pretty good bulb. I don't use 1000's, but if I did it would also be a ushio. Any vertical rated bulb will work well though.

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
I have used ushio, hortilux, and sylvania grolux. The sylvania lasted longest, and I had my best yields under that. I am running 600 watt lumatek digis.

aod

OGShush

I swear to god my 600w Ushio fired on a NextGen ballast is brighter than a 1000watt hortilux fired on a core and coil. Works just fine in the vertical position. Got mine for $75 shipped I believe

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
i doubt the dual arc would work very well vertically. The bottom would be getting one spectrum and wattage and the upper would be getting another spectrum and wattage. Not to say that you couldn't grow buds....just don't think it's quite what one would want. We ran one horizontally for a while, but I think it went bad too quickly. Currently we run a 1kw hps vertically (bare bulb) around 12" from the plants and all is well.