What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

vertical things?

420stoner

what things do you still need for vertical grow room like in a horizontal grow room?
for example: on vertical grows you dont need a reflector & on horizontal grows you do need a reflector.
thankz growers!:)

D

Duplicate

I'm surprised there aren't any replies to this thread. While looking through some of the bigger vert threads I couldn't find much in the way of an equipment list either. It might sound kind of stupid but it took me a while to find a power cord with a lamp on google! I just didn't know what to search for.

If any experienced vert growers are reading this and thinking what they would share here might be mundane you're probably wrong.

I

Iron_Lion

:scripture: A wise man once said....

"If you guys get to page 2 you might just find the answers your looking for."

:ying:

After all, we're just growing weed, not splitting the atom.

D

Duplicate

^ hahah indeed. I actually sorted by page view to find the primo threads. Found a lot of info but not a lot on actual setups. (uh it's a light that hangs down in your grow space, duh ;)) S'all good. I don't mind reading as it's got me this far but I was just commenting on being surprised at the lack of equipment discussion as I'd noticed it before this thread.

Looking forward to giving vertical a try; possibly on my next grow.

Subtract a reflector & oscillating fan, add a turbo fan blowing up at the light. Everything else should be the same no?

Haven't run vert, but my next show will definitely be vert. How do you guys hang your lights? Do you have some method to anchor them to the floor or walls as well to prevent crazy swaying or do they just dangle?

I use 12 gauge wire instead of chain to hang my horizontal reflectors, that stuff is the bees knees, well after you figure out that's how you got all those razorblade cuts on your fingers........

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
IMO, you'll probably see more variance in the technique than hardware. A vertical bulb will orient light distribution 90 degrees from horizontal. Your trim and training techniques have to respond accordingly. As with horizontal, it's all in the arrangement. Will air flow needs change? Not necessarily. You may need to orient air flow accordingly.

To answer your question, vertical setups don't require a reflector. Some growers use a degree of restraint to keep tops from growing into the lamp. Some take additional steps with a cool tube. Depending on bulb size, distance and direct air flow is key.

This is where you may see a distinct difference vs horizontal. Some vert setups have a circ fan on the floor, in the middle of the canopy, blowing upward to dissipate heat. Horizontal grows typically have the fan blowing between the top of the canopy and the lamp. Absent the inversion, it's the same basis.

Check out the single lamp or stacked lamp setups. This will give you visual comparisons to horizontal. Multi lamp spreads are more comprehensive but you'll see how a simple bulb inversion translates to the basics of air flow and light distribution.

usda101

Im dedicating 3k to making the switch . Loose the reflectors decide on wat style of vert , scrog , colloseium , stadium . Im going to hang the lights on yoyo's , My journal shows how i removed tube an reflectors . Any help i would also appreciate .

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
IMO, you'll get more info reading what's already posted. In many cases, setup is covered at the beginning of the thread. Inquiring with growers in their respective threads will get you more responses than you're getting here. They'll probably give you their new and improved info along with whatever aspects you need to know.

There are many area sizes, bulb placement variations and restraint techniques. Knowing which ones best suit your personal needs may be best served browsing multiple threads. You don't have to read everything, only where your interests lie.

420stoner

thankz alot for your answers growers,
i have read people that done vertical grows but i just dont know what things they still have like a horizontal grow i guess ill have to keep reading more!
thankz

Latest posts

Latest posts