Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Vertical / Colosseum Growing > Tutorial: How to build your own secure lamp holder for a stacked bulb vertical grow

Thread Title Search
Tutorial: How to build your own secure lamp holder for a stacked bulb vertical grow Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2012, 05:29 AM #1
Hundred Gram Oz
Our Work is Never Over

Hundred Gram Oz has a brilliant futureHundred Gram Oz has a brilliant futureHundred Gram Oz has a brilliant futureHundred Gram Oz has a brilliant futureHundred Gram Oz has a brilliant futureHundred Gram Oz has a brilliant futureHundred Gram Oz has a brilliant futureHundred Gram Oz has a brilliant futureHundred Gram Oz has a brilliant futureHundred Gram Oz has a brilliant futureHundred Gram Oz has a brilliant future
Tutorial: How to build your own secure lamp holder for a stacked bulb vertical grow

Hello ICMag, I thought I'd write up a little tutorial thread on how I built my tripod lamp holder. There are a few ways that you can setup your lamps for a stacked vert grow, my last run I had 2 bulbs connected with chains which brought about some problems including dead zones and bulbs not being fully independent.

The new design leaves the 2 bulbs fully independent from each other and both bulbs will be fully adjustable to the correct height with ease plus it's very stable and will last a long time.

Items and tools required

Dutch Barn style reflector, you will want one with the aluminum strip that runs up the back of the shade, pictures below.
A pair of pliers
Drill
Angle grinder
Camera tripod
Drill bit, bolt, & nut that need to be the correct size to fit through the tripods small mount piece.

I went ahead and bought some shades, I needed 3 new ballasts anyhow so I bought reflectors & bulbs in the package deal, I bought the dutch barn style reflector which are one of the cheapest reflectors that you can buy, I bought them for 1 thing, the strip of aluminum that runs up the middle of the shade, the lamp holder is already attached, here is the shade:

Note the aluminum with the maxibright sticker, I bought the shades just to get that strip of aluminum, very inexpensive.

Time to get the drill and drill out the pop rivets, there are 4 on these shades.

You will now have the aluminium strip completely off the reflector.

Next you will have to bend the strip into the correct shape, as shown below:

Now cut off the excess metal with an angle grinder, mind your fingers.

Tutorial Continued Below.

Last edited by Hundred Gram Oz; 06-07-2012 at 01:29 PM..
Hundred Gram Oz is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:32 AM #2
Hundred Gram Oz
Our Work is Never Over

Hundred Gram Oz has a brilliant futureHundred Gram Oz has a brilliant futureHundred Gram Oz has a brilliant futureHundred Gram Oz has a brilliant futureHundred Gram Oz has a brilliant futureHundred Gram Oz has a brilliant futureHundred Gram Oz has a brilliant futureHundred Gram Oz has a brilliant futureHundred Gram Oz has a brilliant futureHundred Gram Oz has a brilliant futureHundred Gram Oz has a brilliant future
Now you will need to drill a hole into your new aluminum bracket so you can fit on the tripod mount.

Here is the tripod that I bought, it was £20, it is fully adjustable with a ball rotation for extra movement, perfect if you haven't bent the metal totally level.

Take the little plastic mount (the one that fits onto your camera) you will need to take out the screw, it's held on with a little clip which can be easily removed with a screw driver, you will need to find a nut and bolt that will fit through the hole and will fit flush into the mount, also get the correct size drill bit while your buying the nut & bolt. Here is the plastic mount and the new nut & bolt.

Secure it to the aluminum.

Now attach it to the tripod

Tutorial Continued Below.

Last edited by Hundred Gram Oz; 06-07-2012 at 01:26 PM..

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:34 AM #3
Hundred Gram Oz
Our Work is Never Over

Congratulations you have now built your very own independent lamp holder that is fully adjustable! Attach it securely to your fan and your ready to put it into the grow room!

One of the things that I really like about the tripod is that you don't need to move the telescopic legs to adjust the height of the bulb, you simply need to adjust this little screw and move the bulb into position.
Adjust Screw

Bulb fully extended without having to adjust the legs.

I really dig this tripod lamp holder and I hope it helps some of you growers out there, if you build your own please post a pic here for fun.

Peace & Chat Soon

HGO

Last edited by Hundred Gram Oz; 06-07-2012 at 01:32 PM..

15 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:05 AM #4
SomeOldGuy
Banned

SomeOldGuy will become famous soon enoughSomeOldGuy will become famous soon enoughSomeOldGuy will become famous soon enough
very nice HGO, i really like how stable it looks.

peace, SOG
SomeOldGuy is offline Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 01:14 PM #5
TLoft13

TLoft13 is a jewel in the roughTLoft13 is a jewel in the roughTLoft13 is a jewel in the roughTLoft13 is a jewel in the roughTLoft13 is a jewel in the roughTLoft13 is a jewel in the roughTLoft13 is a jewel in the rough
Really nice DIY, HGO!

TLoft13 is offline Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 01:21 PM #6
Sqydro

Sqydro will become famous soon enoughSqydro will become famous soon enoughSqydro will become famous soon enough
wow thanks very much mate great idea to share!!
Sqydro is offline Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 02:06 PM #7
Bush Dr
Painting the picture of Dorian Gray

Bush Dr is a glorious beacon of lightBush Dr is a glorious beacon of lightBush Dr is a glorious beacon of lightBush Dr is a glorious beacon of lightBush Dr is a glorious beacon of lightBush Dr is a glorious beacon of lightBush Dr is a glorious beacon of lightBush Dr is a glorious beacon of lightBush Dr is a glorious beacon of lightBush Dr is a glorious beacon of lightBush Dr is a glorious beacon of light
Sweet idea HGO, although balancing the lamp on top of the fan is a temporary thing I trust

This ain't no ordinary herb I'm smoking - Fantan Mojah

Supermoto for that eXtra buzz

A friend in need is a friend in debt
Bush Dr is offline Quote

Old 06-07-2012, 02:10 PM #8
Hundred Gram Oz
Our Work is Never Over

Thanks guys, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks Bush I really love it and yes I took the pic before I secured the tripod, I'll requote myself from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hundred Gram Oz
Attach it securely to your fan and your ready to put it into the grow room!
Glad you like it bro.

Take Care
HGO

Old 07-28-2012, 06:10 AM #10
Sqydro

Sqydro will become famous soon enoughSqydro will become famous soon enoughSqydro will become famous soon enough
what do u do with ur top light here HGO have it bulb to bulb or stacked as normal?? gave this 5***** as it deserves!
Sqydro is offline Quote