What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

To defoliate or, not to defoliate...

Teh_Baker

Thanks for the compliment! You could also say that pruning, topping, or training isnt "necessary" outdoors. By that matter, in certain situations, you could also say that watering or even drench/foliar feeding isnt either...

What i am doing is looking for a method that can give me plants that are the easiest to manage, while still giving me the largest yield without a bunch of airy popcorn buds...
I work upwards of 65hours a week and have daily commute of over 100miles. I dont exactly have as much time as some other gardeners...

mushroombrew

Veteran
Thanks for the compliment! You could also say that pruning, topping, or training isnt "necessary" outdoors. By that matter, in certain situations, you could also say that watering or even drench/foliar feeding isnt either...

What i am doing is looking for a method that can give me plants that are the easiest to manage, while still giving me the largest yield without a bunch of airy popcorn buds...
I work upwards of 65hours a week and have daily commute of over 100miles. I dont exactly have as much time as some other gardeners...

No I wouldn't say that about "pruning, topping or training" those are necessary to get a strong plant that can support lots of weight. And to improve yield.

Defoliation is different in my opinion. I never practice it outdoors. Check my albums. Plenty of trees in Hawaii. No larf. But with
their leaves.

Like I said I strip lower nodes. That removes larfing sites. But leaves stay on. So its the tiny bud sites i pinch out. But those fans still produce energy for the rest of the plant.

Different strategy indoors. I defoliate aggressively. Much more than you did. People trip out; but it works.

Teh_Baker

I have done the same thing in the past as you describe. That how i usually grow. But i have heard tales of those larf buds being hard enough to play marbles with. That was achieved by removing a few fan leaves and allowing sunlight and airflow to penetrate the canopy. I would rather get usable buds from all that larf than to just rip it off... thats why this is an experiment... its 1 plant out of over 20 obviously outdoor... so no worries mate, we'll see what the results at the end of the season are...

mushroombrew

Veteran
I have done the same thing in the past as you describe. That how i usually grow. But i have heard tales of those larf buds being hard enough to play marbles with. That was achieved by removing a few fan leaves and allowing sunlight and airflow to penetrate the canopy. I would rather get usable buds from all that larf than to just rip it off... thats why this is an experiment... its 1 plant out of over 20 obviously outdoor... so no worries mate, we'll see what the results at the end of the season are...

Cool I will be along for the ride! Nice you are doing a comparison.
And like I said your plants look great so they will produce regardless of leaves. Maybe you will get great results?!

JOJO420

Veteran
This is a really cool topic, thanks for doing the side by side. I am really interested in the results. Will be checking in daily :)

Teh_Baker

Hey Jojo, thanks for stopping by. I wouldnt waste time stopping by every day. I wont be doing updates thats often. Only about once a week. I am working out of town right now, so even i only get to see the plants once a week...
Feel free to sub though...

JOJO420

Veteran
Hey Jojo, thanks for stopping by. I wouldnt waste time stopping by every day. I wont be doing updates thats often. Only about once a week. I am working out of town right now, so even i only get to see the plants once a week...
Feel free to sub though...

Subbed, and will stop in weekly :)

So I want to post pics of a Goji Og f2 seedling that was not topped and was not defoliated, damn near 12ft and still growing .

Attachments

• IMG_0672.jpg
    IMG_0672.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Teh_Baker

Subbed, and will stop in weekly :)

So I want to post pics of a Goji Og f2 seedling that was not topped and was not defoliated, damn near 12ft and still growing .

Hmmm, seems someone was just saying something about some plants dont need to be topped... that it all depends on specifics...

Btw Jojo, that goji looks very nice.

Teh_Baker

Have some pics... the flower has started finally. Now ill start to see how the results stack up...

Here is our test subject... she is short, but her nodes are tightly spaced... im hoping she surprises...
picture.php

Here is a shot of a few control Mazar. If you notice in the upper picture there is a shovel. In this lower pic the same shovel is being used for perspective.
picture.php

Have good one, all. G'night...

Teh_Baker

Well, the experiment is paused indefinitely... the TestMazar was attacked by rodents and lost the good fight. She went down with a ControlMazar at the same time. In times like these, i do envy the indoor grower who doesnt know what a woodland rat can do to a garden. Comes with the territory... i was excited to finish my dwarf though... maybe next year...

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Well, the experiment is paused indefinitely... the TestMazar was attacked by rodents and lost the good fight. She went down with a ControlMazar at the same time. In times like these, i do envy the indoor grower who doesnt know what a woodland rat can do to a garden. Comes with the territory... i was excited to finish my dwarf though... maybe next year...

Sorry to hear that man :( This rip is for your fallen comrades and better luck next time!