What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Urgent help!!! Strange insect/worms/nimphs in runoff!!

carlo87

Hi guys, after watering my coco I found these strange pests in the runoff in the underpass, do somebody know what they are and how to get rid of them before they do damage? I did some research but I didn't find anything about this!! I need an urgent help from you, please!!

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I think they are called springtails. They tend to clump together in the runoff. I do not think they are big deal, but may indicate some root rot. I am not sure about that. See what others have to say.

This was top item in google, posted by someone from ICMag - springtails are essential for the biodiversity of soil they help fix nitrogen in soil by consuming decaying matter as well as keeping rhizopheres healthy, as a matter of fact they can alert hydro growers (if they're in abundance) as a sign that roots are in an unhealthy state. Soooooo don't do it! do not add another poison to your growing environment on their behalf, focus on the the borg, thrips and the w.flies. Sorry about not texting and using alphabet soup a'cause I knode how y'all don't like everyone to know what ye be talk'in bout as this place seems to be a click (lots of abbreviations and alphabet soup shit) , I thinx the point of this place is to share info not hoard it and while I'm at it, why show a grow if yas going to leave out the strain and of most importance the breeders name? Huggs 'n' kisses and superfine ash R. T. BOOKBINDER III

Here is another - Whats up guys, just found some springtails under my pots of coco, minimal numbers nothing crazy. I know these lil guys eat decaying material and love moist areas. Alot of people say their beneficial, alot of people say they do harm. Personally I feel their beneficial especially since they eat decaying or dead material in the rhizosphere and secrete nitrogen also. But my question is it possible for their population to get large enough to secrete enough nitrogen to cause problems in flower? Should I keep an eye on how much their reproducing? As of now I see probably 20 to 30 of them under each pot.

Hooter

My guess fungus gnat larve. do you have small flys buzzing around. In any case I would try mosquito bites. Crush them up and mix in top two inches of soil. This contains a pathogenic bacteria that kills larval stage of soil bearing insects. Harmless to humans. Be patient takes a while to disperse into soil through watering. Hope that helps.

carlo87

Thx for answers guys, for root rot I watched root and they are pretty white, so nothing is rot. I also thought that they were gnats larvae, but I don't have any gnats on color traps and flys in the grow box, then this crap seem to have paws. I have 5 pots and before they were only in one of them, now in everyone! I don't know, maybe azadiractin or BT can help me? Last watering I watering with aptus soil attack, but I repeat, from only a pot now they're in every!

Medfinder

Chemon 91
My guess fungus gnat larve. do you have small flys buzzing around. In any case I would try mosquito bites. Crush them up and mix in top two inches of soil. This contains a pathogenic bacteria that kills larval stage of soil bearing insects. Harmless to humans. Be patient takes a while to disperse into soil through watering. Hope that helps.

you must catch one and id it asap.

I just caught a few root aphids after I id them I found they came in with some store bought idaho potatoes.

Sure enough the bag started hatching within 3 days.

Root aphids can wipe out a cannabis crop be careful.

carlo87

no gnats I'm sure... Root aphid I never saw them and I don't have a microscope to look for them. Nothing pest on plant surface, and nothing on colour traps.

Hooter

Read this thread for assistance
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > Fungus gnats or WINGED ROOT APHIDS???

Minb

time ago had some plants infested. I used snake killer, and they were all killed in a few days. Growing in rockwool.

Ratzilla

Veteran
I also think spring tails.
I grow using organic principles and i am of the opinion that as long as any bugs i see are not on the plant itself that more harm can be done in trying to eradicate the bugs.
Ratz

Mo. G

I've had springtails in the past in my organic garden and they're basically harmless. A little sm-90 should rid them out. Nothing to worry about they're harmless.

Looks like springtails. They do no harm and actually eat decaying roots. Had them in hydro and would lift up the pots. the roots where all bright white and healthy.

Sativan

Me Too

Me Too

you must catch one and id it asap.

I just caught a few root aphids after I id them I found they came in with some store bought idaho potatoes.

Sure enough the bag started hatching within 3 days.

Root aphids can wipe out a cannabis crop be careful.

Oh man, I just found the worst infestation of root aphids in my plant's potting soil.

I'm trying Neem oil and I'll see what happens.

Latest posts

Latest posts