What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zeke99 PPK thread

zeke99

My guess would be a restriction in the drip ring..not enough holes.
Cable ties do help, two on each barb. My rings are about 12 long with 12 holes delivering a quart from the 185 gph pump on each site.

My vegging 12 bucket system with one 1200gph mag drive pump has large store bought halo rings and they have 54 holes each. I get a trickle out of each one. I dont think it is giving me a quart so that is next on my things to do. I got to make some to restrict some of the flow.

Hope that helps:biggrin:

I think it might help. Perhaps the pump is too strong and like you said, there are too few holes in the drip ring. I punched 10 in each and the piece of tubing for each ring is roughly 10 inches long.

The pump only fires for 6 seconds!

Mr Blah

I think it might help. Perhaps the pump is too strong and like you said, there are too few holes in the drip ring. I punched 10 in each and the piece of tubing for each ring is roughly 10 inches long.

The pump only fires for 6 seconds!
wow! 6 seconds? how much liquid are you getting in that 6 sec?
Other than the restriction it should work unless the T's are a different size as the hose.

Mr Blah

Also if it is leaking very badly you can put pipe clamps on them also but can get expensive if doing a lot.

I used the regular 1/2" vinyl tubing in the hydro store and there 1/2" t's and elbows.
You didn't use the hard plastic 1/2" line did you?

zeke99

wow! 6 seconds? how much liquid are you getting in that 6 sec?
Other than the restriction it should work unless the T's are a different size as the hose.

Here's where I might have screwed up (not the leaks, but the volume of water). I measured the volume (1 quart) with the drip ring removed from the elbow. I didn't have a large enough container to fit the drip ring in for catch and measure purposes.

Also if it is leaking very badly you can put pipe clamps on them also but can get expensive if doing a lot.

I used the regular 1/2" vinyl tubing in the hydro store and there 1/2" t's and elbows.
You didn't use the hard plastic 1/2" line did you?

No, it's the 1/2" soft vinyl tubing with 1/2" Ts. The 5 tees on the floor are where the leaks are.

zeke99

I placed an order for a larger tent and it should arrive on Friday. 6.5' x 6.5' x 6.5. I wanted to have room to be able to get behind the plants and I don't think strain will do well in a VSCROG. We shall see how it does in the vert setup. I don't want to back to using hoods. I might have to order some different beans.

Mr Blah

I use the 6.5 cube on my upstairs rooms. I put 4 in with screens and there is no room to walk around. That is with 2, 1k's in the middle.
I take out the light on week three or after the stretch and train to the screen. I also veg for 7+ weeks.

zeke99

I use the 6.5 cube on my upstairs rooms. I put 4 in with screens and there is no room to walk around. That is with 2, 1k's in the middle.
I take out the light on week three or after the stretch and train to the screen. I also veg for 7+ weeks.

TY for sharing that tidbit and your strategy, that is very helpful. I don't know what I was thinking when I originally ordered the 5' x 5' tent. Unfortunately the tent delay has brought on another period of stagnation, as we've had a mega heat wave and I've been unable to control the environment.

I've re-punched the wave halos, using the 2nd biggest point on the punch tool, have added two more punches to each halo and will recalibrate the wave timer.

We'll see how that goes. The biggest challenge with erecting the tent is going to be disconnecting the bottom buckets so that I can get all of the lines into the tent through one of the holes that has the drawstring thingy. I figure the best course of action is too disconnect the float valve, the pump manifold, to empty the bottom buckets of water and then pull the 1/4" tubing from each bucket.

Mr Blah

Just took some pictures of the room that harvested so you can see. Also some pictures of the room still flowering. Both are 6.5 cubed tents.
I've got a 12" exhaust fan right above the 2, 1k's.

Also instead of trying to go through the holes that the tent come with don't be afraid to make some new ones.

Attachments

• IMG_20170614_075725078.jpg
    IMG_20170614_075725078.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20170614_075655899.jpg
    IMG_20170614_075655899.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20170614_075752146.jpg
    IMG_20170614_075752146.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 25

DunHav`nFun

Just wanted ta stop in and show respect for another PPK`er ......now...

From many yrs of hydro experience , everywhere there`s a fitting/as in a tee that changes solution flow ,what happens is it causes volume reduction and increase in back pressure on the pump , thus causing your leaks that shouldn`t leak per se if the feed setup`s dialed..... that said....

There`s an easy solution that I learned from Heath Robinson long ago to help dial equal flow and pressure to each plantsite on vertical setups at different levels , and works just as well for flat grows.........

A few inches above solution level in your rez , add a tee with an elbow pointed back down to rez , then directly above it , add a ball /choke/control valve to "manufacture" and maintain equal flow and pressure to each plantsite by allowing excess pump flow to go back down into the rez to keep shit mixed and oxygenate solution instead of causing leaks at the weakest points of dispersion ....regardless...

Many ways ta skin a mule bro , just tryin to help from all those yrs of fuckin up and fixin it.....your leaks are from excess pressure , so slow down the feed with the above mentioned quick fix and you`re golden IME.......anyways....

Not trying to fuck up D9`s design , only showing what works with oversized pumps and recirculating hydro setups.....

Good luck...DHF....:ying:....

Last edited:

zeke99

A few inches above solution level in your rez , add a tee with an elbow pointed back down to rez , then directly above it , add a ball /choke/control valve to "manufacture" and maintain equal flow and pressure to each plantsite by allowing excess pump flow to go back down into the rez to keep shit mixed and oxygenate solution instead of causing leaks at the weakest points of dispersion ....regardless...

Thank you so much for checking in, Fred!

Just to clarify, what you mean by the Tee with elbow is to have the "bottom" end of the Tee act as an elbow and I could use the same PVC ball valve that I've used at each plant site? And to close the valve a little bit until the leak is solved?

Mr Blah

No I think DHF is talking about using a ball valve at the pump side. having a T before it goes to any site.
Pump>T>(one for valve back to control bucket and the other to start your loop to the sites).

zeke99

No I think DHF is talking about using a ball valve at the pump side. having a T before it goes to any site.
Pump>T>(one for valve back to control bucket and the other to start your loop to the sites).

DHF's and your comments just sparked my memory. In my old system (circa 2012), I used 1/4" tubing for the manifold and had to do something similar, but can't remember what exactly. Maybe it was as simple as pushing a tee into the pump line above the water level, in the pump bucket as DHF suggested? I think it was. Will try that tonight. Started to get excited here now, I haven't grown in a few years. Shit, I haven't even smoked or vaped in a month!

DunHav`nFun

It`s just a "bypass" that diverts excess pump pressure back down into the rez preventing the fittings from being over run Zeke.....simple....babyshit.....so....

What I meant about the elbow is that it attaches to the tee with a small pc of tubing so solution blows back down into rez instead of just pissin at the side of the rez and runnin back down , which is aight as long as rez is sealed , it `s just I used the elbow to keep rez stirred up while oxygenating said juice .....that said........

Just like the ball valve and tee fitting you showed bro....straight outta rez and directly above solution level install the tee inline with the open hole pointed inside the rez sideways....add lil tube with an elbow or not....your choice....ball valve goes above the tee so all the back pressure`s directed back into rez instead of putting unneeded pressure on the pump itself for longer life of equipment.....anyways....that way with the ball valve you can control feed and pressure to each plantsite/container as long as the loopfield manifold is maintained......regardless....

Hope that helps bro....I did a single PPK bastardized unit a while back and it practically grew itself once all feed sequences were tweaked....easy peasy....D9`s the man....

Good luck....DHF....:ying:.....

Last edited:

zeke99

It`s just a "bypass" that diverts excess pump pressure back down into the rez preventing the fittings from being over run Zeke.....simple....babyshit.....so....

What I meant about the elbow is that it attaches to the tee with a small pc of tubing so solution blows back down into rez instead of just pissin at the side of the rez and runnin back down , which is aight as long as rez is sealed , it `s just I used the elbow to keep rez stirred up while oxygenating said juice .....that said........

Just like the ball valve and tee fitting you showed bro....straight outta rez and directly above solution level install the tee inline with the open hole pointed inside the rez sideways....add lil tube with an elbow or not....your choice....ball valve goes above the tee so all the back pressure`s directed back into rez instead of putting unneeded pressure on the pump itself for longer life of equipment.....anyways....

Hope that helps bro....I did a single PPK bastardized unit a while back and it practically grew itself once all feed sequences were tweaked....easy peasy....D9`s the man....

Good luck....DHF....:ying:.....

This is extremely helpful. Sometimes I am a little slow on the uptake and this description made it extremely clear. Thank you very much, DHF.

zeke99

Just edited the post so re read it bro....hope it`s more clear now...

Peace...DHF....:ying:....

What I meant was that your 2nd response (the one that you edited) made the idea clear as day. Thank you again! I'll be picking up the elbow, tee and ball valve today. My tent arrives tomorrow. Hopefully it will be up and running tomorrow night.

zeke99

This is what I ended up with.

The volume of water leak out of the loop on the floor is significantly smaller, but it does persist.

zeke99

Is that the threaded ball valve and is it just shoved in? Does that leak?
How is the level in that control bucket after it fires? It looks low right now.

I've had it at roughly 5.5". The interior height of these two gallon buckets is 9.25".

The 6.5' cube tent is up:

Last edited: