What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aqua 12 site ebb and flow system

Ganjagrower1

T5-1000W
Veteran
I am getting ready to set up an ebb and flow 12 site system which I have never used one before. I have used hydro dwc buckets and recirculating system never a ebb and flow. Now I will post pictures when I have everything setup. I have no idea about feeding schedules. Is it the same as it would be for a recirculating system. Pleas all the knowledge would be much appreciated.

Ganjagrower1

T5-1000W
Veteran
Ok here is a shot of the clones before I put them in the ebb and flow system. I will post pics of that as soon as it's up and running.

Attachments

• IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 11

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have you visited my Hail Hydro thread? It might be very helpful as it is like a tutorial

Ganjagrower1

T5-1000W
Veteran
Thanks for the info. I am still in the process of ready through the tread. Now correct me if I am wrong but it looks like you are doing DWC not an ebb and flow system. Anyway I hope to get some info on how often I should flood and drain in the beginning with clones.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the info. I am still in the process of ready through the tread. Now correct me if I am wrong but it looks like you are doing DWC not an ebb and flow system. Anyway I hope to get some info on how often I should flood and drain in the beginning with clones.

I have one plant in DWC the other two tents are F & D. The pictured one in a repurposed kitty litter container, the other in a low profile 4g tote (not pictured)

View attachment 404662

Ganjagrower1

T5-1000W
Veteran
Alright so my system was suppose to come in on Wednesday. Then I get a call and said their delivery came in and it wasn't on there. Said it's on back order. Then they call and they say it was filled the back order. So now it may be here today but most likely it won't be here till Monday. Went down and picked up a portable room ac. So the only thing I need to get is a ph and ec meter. Once I have that I will have everything I need. I will post pics as I get things going.

Ganjagrower1

T5-1000W
Veteran
So I ordered my nutrients. I am using canna nutrients. The hydro store around here only one carries it and they are out. Being delivered today so I will be happy about that. I got confirmation that my ebb and flow set up will be here Monday.

Ganjagrower1

T5-1000W
Veteran
Got my nutrients yesterday in the mail. Now all I have to do it wait till Monday and I will be all ready to go. The clones are finally going to have some feeding. It has been a couple of days since I have had them in about a 3 inch pot with hydroton. Already the roots are coming out of the bottom. I know everyone likes to see pics but I don't have anything to show yet.

Ganjagrower1

T5-1000W
Veteran
Alright I got everything set up. Been working the kinks out with the electrical. Using just a tad bit more then what the breaker is allowing. So I had to run an extension cord for a couple of things that way I can evenly distribute the power load.

My question on the ebb and flow setup being they are still young. How often do I feed. And how long of a flood do I give them in the beginning. I am totally new to the ebb and flow.

Also how do you know what you need to add back with nutrients and additives.

Attachments

• IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 16

Ganjagrower1

T5-1000W
Veteran
alright i see there has been a lot of views so far but now input.

i have a question for anyone that has any experience in ebb and flow setups like the one i have or something similar.
I need to know how often i would flood and drain. they are just on day 2 in this system. i went down today to pick up a multi tester so i know exactly what everything is. i want fail safe.

another question is how long do i let them flood before i drain again. how many times a day.

n_d_ledz

No expert of F&D but did mess with it years back.

In general, while small you can hand water daily, allowing them to drain back through the drain tubing to your res.

Once they have some size, frequency of the floods and duration all depends on how they are growing. There are rules of thumb but your environment will determine the "best" for you.

I did 3 floods a day at 15 min a flood, but that was because my timer only had 15 min increments. 1 flood was during lights off, the other 2 were at lights on and around midday. You can do more or less from that point, depending on how the plants are doing.

Ganjagrower1

T5-1000W
Veteran
Alright I am at day 4 of veg. They are starting to take off finally. I have been feeding 4 times a day and letting them flood for about 20 to 30 minutes. Ph is at 5.8 and my ec is at 1.6. Res temp is about 78 degrees. So far they seem to be doing ok from what I can see. But any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 12

DunHav`nFun

Ebb and flow buckets are the easiest and all but set it and forget it setup , IF you don`t fuck it up....

First off rez temp matters not , only wayta get root rot with ebb and flow buckets is if you over veg and clog the drain holes up with roots....also....

DO NOT let the rootzone sit in solution for any length of time , or you`ll be drowning the plant without proper O2 to roots....

Normal feed sequences for the manufactured units has always been 3 times a day lights on for 15 minute intervals due to the analog timers used with said controller buckets....these were the 2 1/2 gal units though....now..

No reason whatsoever to be feeding small plants 800 ppms/1.6 EC at this point in the game even though you say they`re finally responding......they`re probably waterlogged and need less feed and less of it to help promote a healthy rootmass....

I never ran over 6-750 ppms/1.2-1.5 EC through end of stretch to end of cycle with zero deficiencies and dialed results for well over a decade.using DIY 5 gal ebb and flow buckets ... anyways....

I know this ain`t your first rodeo bro , just tryin ta help from all those yrs I fucked up and fixed it.....Once you dial ebb and flow buckets , they all but grow themselves....Good luck and.....

Peace....DHF....:ying:....

Ganjagrower1

T5-1000W
Veteran
Ebb and flow buckets are the easiest and all but set it and forget it setup , IF you don`t fuck it up....

First off rez temp matters not , only wayta get root rot with ebb and flow buckets is if you over veg and clog the drain holes up with roots....also....

DO NOT let the rootzone sit in solution for any length of time , or you`ll be drowning the plant without proper O2 to roots....

Normal feed sequences for the manufactured units has always been 3 times a day lights on for 15 minute intervals due to the analog timers used with said controller buckets....these were the 2 1/2 gal units though....now..

No reason whatsoever to be feeding small plants 800 ppms/1.6 EC at this point in the game even though you say they`re finally responding......they`re probably waterlogged and need less feed and less of it to help promote a healthy rootmass....

I never ran over 6-750 ppms/1.2-1.5 EC through end of stretch to end of cycle with zero deficiencies and dialed results for well over a decade.using DIY 5 gal ebb and flow buckets ... anyways....

I know this ain`t your first rodeo bro , just tryin ta help from all those yrs I fucked up and fixed it.....Once you dial ebb and flow buckets , they all but grow themselves....Good luck and.....

Peace....DHF....:ying:....

Thanks for the input.
Right now I actually have a feeding every 6 hours. I am not sure if that is to much. I am flooding for about a 20 minute flood after they are totally full and stop flooding.
Also how do I know when I need to add nutrients back in as well as water. How can you tell if it is evaporation or what the plants are taking in.

Ganjagrower1

T5-1000W
Veteran
do you have a ppm/EC meter? A bluelab truncheon is one of the best investments you can make

I have a meter I just need to know when I need to add back fresh water and nutrients. I am still new to this whole thing of ebb and flow. I just don't have the water chemistry down yet when plants use nutrients and then you have to add back.

Attachments

• IMG_0660.jpg
    IMG_0660.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 10

Ganjagrower1

T5-1000W
Veteran
Day 5 of veg. They are starting to really take off. There is much of a difference since the first day they were transplanted. Oh how I miss growing. I had to stop for a couple of years due to no space for what I needed to do. Now it is on a cracking. I spent more money making sure I have everything I needed this time. I didn't want to just use a ph pen like I have before for years. Also the ppm meter wand that I had broke. Now with the tri meter I got it covered now.
I am right about 5.8 for ph. What are your thoughts on this. I have read everywhere optimum is 5.8 for all nutrient uptake. But correct me if I am wrong. Should there be a ph swing from 5.2 to 6.0.

Attachments

• IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 12

Dollar

Ive run this Ebb and Gro system for many many years. I feed 4 times a day for 15mins each no matter what stage they are in. I run the 2 gals of the same system and you have the 5 gals. Run the feeds a short as possible. If you can fill all 12 buckets in 15mins go with that. If it takes 30 go with that. As the plants grow lower the 2 float switches at the back of the controller bucket until about halfway up and stop there for the remainder of the run. Its virtually impossible to overfeed unless you continually soak the roots for way too long. Its hydroton and requires constant wetting so the roots dont dry out. Every grower that has used this system has clogged the fill/drain lines with roots and lost plants. Buy some auto pot root control disks and place in between the outer pot and inner pot. This will prevent clogged fill/drain lines and you will avoid losing plants. When you get it all dialed in its so simple with huge harvests.
picture.php

Ganjagrower1

T5-1000W
Veteran
Ok so tell me if this is normal but I have some stretch and I am on a 24 hour light cycle.
Also I am trying to understand my ec. I started at 1.6 and now I am at 1.8 and I haven't added anything but ph down. Is that what is raising the ec. Over a couple of days.
? Now when I add water back to I also mix nutrients with that add back water.

Attachments

• IMG_0669.jpg
    IMG_0669.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Latest posts