What's new

random light schedules for autos?

P

pugsly

Would it be possible to grow and flower autos on random schedules such as 18hrs light one day 13hrs the next day, 20 hrs the following day. Essentially just turning the lights on when out of the house and then switching them off when returning home?
They basically grow to a point and flower regardless right?

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They basically grow to a point and flower regardless right?

Yes but even in nature the light schedule is not going to as erratic as your thoughts and I think that in turn they would flower but hermie due to the stress.

jaytoker

A friend of mine grew autos like this except he would turn the lights on when he woke up and off at bed time. He didn't have hermi issues but the light schedule wasn't as erratic as your describing.

P

pugsly

OK thanks lads

not only have times been erratic but I have been alternating between LEDs and outside in the garden, no hermies yet but they have been very slow and flowering seems to be better in some individuals than others.
Only homemade f1s so thought the experiment worth a punt

Jhhnn

Veteran
True autoflowers thrive under continuous light w/ no dark periods at all. Just leave the light on from seed to harvest. I haven't done any comparisons, but I suspect that will maximize growth & yield.

Ollie

Veteran
I guess its due the wattage being used on 12/12 or 18/6 scheadules thats holding ya back?

If thats the case, i would rather look into a couple of LEDs and keep yourself below 300w all inclusive.

P

pugsly

Have decided to put them on a 12/12 under the LEDs, hopefully I will get away without an hermies and have something to crop in 6 weeks.

Ollie

Veteran
Just remember both yield and quality of the end product will suffer,
when running 12/12 as opposed to 18/6 or 20/4 in terms of autoflower genetics.

All the best

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just remember both yield and quality of the end product will suffer,
when running 12/12 as opposed to 18/6 or 20/4 in terms of autoflower genetics.

All the best

Exactly. I saw no appreciable difference at 24/0 as Jhhnn mentioned.

Erratic light schedule as S_a_H mentioned just stresses the plants.

If you are paying the utility bill, wouldn't you want the best possible utcome? No matter....do experiments and see what you end up with in light schedule.