What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone here use 100% perlite as a medium...

gregor_mendel

Particularly in dutch buckets, or anything with top drip.

I did a search but apparently perlite is too common of a word for our search engine. So if anyone has a link to a grow, please share it.

I use dutch buckets AKA bato buckets.

Recently I switched from GH coco mixed brick to straight coco chips.
This is NOT a good medium for drip. The moms in ebb and flow do ok, but they like more broadly graded coco as well. I will be going back to my regular coco mix in both.

All that is an aside that explains how I arrived at my curiosity about perlite.

Perlite, after all, is what the US greenhouse industry uses in dutch buckets.

What kind do you use if you use it? Do you rinse it? (that seems like a pain in the ass)

Horticultural grade medium or coarse OR big and chunky?
I am looking for experienced opinions here.

Thanks much!

the "hempy bucket" style uses 100% perlite among other variations of media.However it uses a "reservoir" at the bottom of the perlite, not a top drip

pimpjuice

A bato bucket is the commercial equivalent of a "hempy bucket" ... Bato's have a reservoir in the bottom.

I'm using 100% perlite in my bato buckets this run. It's working great. For years I grew in nothing but perlite, before that I was using a 70%perlite 30%vermiculite but ultimately switched to straight perlite.

medium grade, I just pour it into the pots. Wet it down good before transplant to make it easier.

Milwaukee

Straight perlite has worked really well for me. I just get the big bags they have at home depot. Water as needed.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
here is a good link. perlite is used predominately in top drip applications in the greenhouse industry. if you are going to use it any other way it needs to be amended with something that has a decent cation exchange capability. apparently the top drip works great with 100% perlite as it presents a continuously correcting flow of water and nutrients to the roots. you must have good drainage to do this. run it through and recirculate at least several times a day.

http://www.perlite.org/perlite_info/guides/plants/ROLE OF PERLITE IN HYDROPONIC CULTURE.pdf

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
I've used it in a top drip setup before. Never used it in bato buckets, but I could see how you could.

P.D.S

My last run in my room was 100% perlite with a top drip system, worked fine for me. I use the coarse grade and i rinse it before i use to keep the dust down. If you have anymore questions id be happy to answer them, ive used perlite many times over the years

gregor_mendel

Thanks to all of you. It's great asking a question and hearing what you want to hear.

I suggest all follow delta9nxs's link.

Pimpjuice: Are you the 10KW, 90 bato pimpjuice?

Prepping for my next run, I just recently expanded 6 bales of coco, one at a time, then moved to my garage for mixing, as 3 were chips and 3 were pith.

As I was doing it, I told myself it was the last time. At the time, I was thinking hydroton, but perlite is easier to come by, and much lighter. I know that coco can be reused, and I have before, but I still think the perlite may perform better.

i love 100% perlite, i dont automate it, i run mums in them and hand water, 2-3 times weekly, for me personally i wouldnt want it automated since p'lite holds water pretty well, but this is the only method where i have never ever had an issue with, and so easy to flush, never had algea, only time you will see discoloration is if you use thick nutrients

i've had algea on my hempy buckets (70% perlite, 30% vermiculite).

it was only on the top layer though, it didn't appear to penetrate down at all.

you can also reuse it (i think) ... i have been for a year or so now and i'm not seeing any adverse affects.

goodluck, peace, sg

happyherb

no wuckin furries!
Veteran
i used coarse and the smaller stuff(only cause i didnt read the bags they sold me) perlite for years...with clay ball base (around 2 inch)...sometimes i grew my clones(cloned in rockwool) in a 50/50 coco perlite mix in small pots and placed that into 30lrt double pots(top one for perlite bottom one for drainage) and connected as many pots i wanted to a rez a recirculated the ferts..so so easy....best system ive used with DWC in close 2nd for yield.HH. =]-~

gregor_mendel

What is everyon'e preferred tranplant method

What is everyon'e preferred tranplant method

Maybe I shoud say medium.

Do you go from rooted plug into your final perlite container,
or grow it a bit first in a rockwool cube or 4 inch pot of perlite?

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I use hempy buckets with an 80-20 of perlite-vermiculite and I go from rapid rooters to 12oz. cups to 5 gal buckets (all hempy style)
I've had algae problems only when I watered too often and I've not used an automated system but I bet you could get one dialed in with a little work. Good luck.

globel

can you flood drain with this it or is it too light and will it float? say 60 2 liter pots on a 4x8 ebb-flow

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I wouldn't use it in an ebb & flow. I think it would wash a majority of the perlite away.