Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Ready to give up! (spider mites)

Thread Title Search
Ready to give up! (spider mites) Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2018, 05:58 AM #1
Smoke_A_Lot

Smoke_A_Lot is a jewel in the roughSmoke_A_Lot is a jewel in the roughSmoke_A_Lot is a jewel in the roughSmoke_A_Lot is a jewel in the roughSmoke_A_Lot is a jewel in the roughSmoke_A_Lot is a jewel in the roughSmoke_A_Lot is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Ready to give up! (spider mites)

So my first problem was getting my old seed stock to germinate. Now i finally got some plants established an was checking them out last night in my tent. I picked one of the cups up and was examining the plant and i noticed a lil speck crawling in the soil, on a closer look they were in the soil and outside the pot. I thought it was just that single plant & tossed it, came back to look at the others and i noticed the same on all of them (complete infestation) !!

Going to throw all the plants out, and scrub the hell out of my tent with bleach and start over! Now they question is where did they come from? The soil was "Black Gold Natural & Organic" that's a good brand from what i gather. Could they of come from the bag of soil? I also started them in root riot plugs. My dad has a couple house plants in the house he's had for years, we have 2 cats but they're indoor cats, all my windows have screens. What caused this?

Now I'm being extra cautious! after i clean the tent should i throw out my bedroom carpet the tent sits on just in case?! Tell me if I'm going overboard here, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. What else can i do to prevent this happening in the future? I've grown before but NEVER had problems with spider mites.

Smoke_A_Lot is offline Quote

Old 09-13-2018, 06:07 AM #2
Itsmychoice

Itsmychoice is just really niceItsmychoice is just really niceItsmychoice is just really niceItsmychoice is just really niceItsmychoice is just really niceItsmychoice is just really niceItsmychoice is just really niceItsmychoice is just really niceItsmychoice is just really niceItsmychoice is just really niceItsmychoice is just really nice
They probably weren’t spider mites on the soil, maybe springtails which are harmless. Spider mites are usually noticed on the leaves. Either way I would do some preventative sprays or dips every week in veg. If they are of any size I would dig them out of the trash. Ogbiowar foliar would be spray nummero uno.
Itsmychoice is online now Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:45 AM #3
Smoke_A_Lot

Smoke_A_Lot is a jewel in the roughSmoke_A_Lot is a jewel in the roughSmoke_A_Lot is a jewel in the roughSmoke_A_Lot is a jewel in the roughSmoke_A_Lot is a jewel in the roughSmoke_A_Lot is a jewel in the roughSmoke_A_Lot is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmychoice View Post
They probably weren’t spider mites on the soil, maybe springtails which are harmless. Spider mites are usually noticed on the leaves. Either way I would do some preventative sprays or dips every week in veg. If they are of any size I would dig them out of the trash. Ogbiowar foliar would be spray nummero uno.
Okay, that makes sense! Idk if i forgot to add that but the lil insects weren't on the leafs at all! Just on the surface of the soil & the cups containing them. I can't confirm if thats what they are because they're so small, barely visible to the human eye - i had to squint to see them. They looked kind of like ants i suppose, multiple legs, transparent in color but with a redish/tan tint to them.

Anybody else wanna chime in?

Smoke_A_Lot is offline Quote

Old 09-13-2018, 07:28 AM #4
toastyghostie

toastyghostie is on a distinguished road
Man I hate the gigantic unnecessary signatures but yours is pretty alright!

Google spider mites

There are all kinds of mites you're probably fine
toastyghostie is offline Quote

Old 09-13-2018, 08:12 AM #5
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond reputetroutman has a reputation beyond repute
Before throwing everything out do get an organic Pyrethrin pesticide and try to deal with it.

I imagine if you did throw everything out you would be spraying anyways.

Give it a shot at least.

Check this link out:

https://www.saferbrand.com/advice/ins...t-spider-mites

Working on Something Sneaky

Legalization may kill black markets. Government tyranny creates them.
troutman is offline Quote

Old 09-13-2018, 08:20 AM #6
insomniac_AU

insomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud of
Sorry for all your problems mate. I feel for you. TBH growing in soil indoors is not my specialty. When I've tried it I've run into all the same sort of pest issues. Common sense tells me that if your environment is sterile the vermin must be coming from the medium. I wouldn't throw the plants out yet as suggested try to deal with the problem. It might not be too difficult if the plants are small. You could discard the medium and replant after the plants are pest free. Might be worth a try anyway.

Old 09-13-2018, 09:39 AM #7
stoney917
i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD

Location: sPeCial EdUcAtIoN tRaiLoR behind the school with the rest of the window lickers
stoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant futurestoney917 has a brilliant future
Way overreacted mang...100% not mites first guess fungus gnats , or like dude said springtails.... not terrible but do weaken ya plants defense so if mites/other pests/other issues do show the door is wide open n they settle is quicker... get some h202 n neem watch ur problem go away.... hopefully they are still in ya trash.... they will come back fine....

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:46 AM #8
TheBlaze

TheBlaze has much to be proud ofTheBlaze has much to be proud ofTheBlaze has much to be proud ofTheBlaze has much to be proud ofTheBlaze has much to be proud ofTheBlaze has much to be proud ofTheBlaze has much to be proud ofTheBlaze has much to be proud ofTheBlaze has much to be proud ofTheBlaze has much to be proud ofTheBlaze has much to be proud of
Not spider mites. I deal with them on a regular basis. A living soil is an ecosystem for all kinds of tiny creepy crawlies.
TheBlaze is online now Quote

Old 09-13-2018, 09:47 AM #9
TheBlaze

TheBlaze has much to be proud ofTheBlaze has much to be proud ofTheBlaze has much to be proud ofTheBlaze has much to be proud ofTheBlaze has much to be proud ofTheBlaze has much to be proud ofTheBlaze has much to be proud ofTheBlaze has much to be proud ofTheBlaze has much to be proud ofTheBlaze has much to be proud ofTheBlaze has much to be proud of
Might be this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoaspis_miles
TheBlaze is online now Quote

Old 09-13-2018, 09:55 AM #10
Coughie

Coughie has much to be proud ofCoughie has much to be proud ofCoughie has much to be proud ofCoughie has much to be proud ofCoughie has much to be proud ofCoughie has much to be proud ofCoughie has much to be proud ofCoughie has much to be proud ofCoughie has much to be proud ofCoughie has much to be proud ofCoughie has much to be proud of
Yeah...

Red-tan, on the soil, crawling fast enough to freak you out..

Those are hypoaspis miles.

More weed, less overreacting;
Calm thyself.