Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > New Growers > Dark before harvest

Thread Title Search
Dark before harvest Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2018, 02:11 AM #11
mr.brunch

mr.brunch has a reputation beyond reputemr.brunch has a reputation beyond reputemr.brunch has a reputation beyond reputemr.brunch has a reputation beyond reputemr.brunch has a reputation beyond reputemr.brunch has a reputation beyond reputemr.brunch has a reputation beyond reputemr.brunch has a reputation beyond reputemr.brunch has a reputation beyond reputemr.brunch has a reputation beyond reputemr.brunch has a reputation beyond repute
That’s 48 hours of light down-time , fuck that... the next ladies could be using that growroom.
I like to repot and refil the room as soon as the last bud is hung

https://www.jackherer.com/thebook/

Originally posted by jimmy cliff:

So I'll keep on fighting for the things I want,
Though I know that when you're dead you're gone.
But I'd rather be a free man in my grave,
Than living as a puppet or a slave.
So as soon as the sun
Will shine,
I'm gonna get my share of
What's mine.
And then the harder they come ,
The harder they fall,
One and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Put out the joint, step away from the computer and go for a walk.
Current: seedsman Power Africa- https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=355286
Current: seedsman Girl Scout crack- https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=355287
Current: real gorilla seeds dosidos #1-
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=356370
Current: real gorilla seeds dosidos#1 run 2-
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=356370
mr.brunch is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:12 AM #12
Shmavis
Being-in-the-world

Shmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud of

Was reading an article about a longtime Canadian breeder (Dr. Atomic) and a claim he made therein reminded me of this thread. Here’s what he said:

“These plants were left in darkness for three full days before being chopped down. Cannabis plants react to an extended absence of sun or light with the realization that frost/death is imminent, and pump out a lot of resin in a sort of panic. They know that their life is soon terminated so they try to attract pollen in a last gasp to get fertilized. I believe these last three days of resin production contain the most potent cannabinoids.”

The article was from 2006, so maybe his thoughts are different today, maybe not. Wonder if science has shown one way or the other...
§467. I am sitting with a philosopher in the garden; he says again and again “I know that that’s a tree”, pointing to a tree that is near us. Someone else arrives and hears this, and I tell him: “This fellow isn’t insane. We are only doing philosophy.”

― Ludwig Wittgenstein, On Certainty
Shmavis is offline Quote

Old 09-10-2018, 06:58 AM #13
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
IMO, it's nonsense most likely generated (again) due to slightly less than ideal flowering conditions. His plants appreciated the break and rewarded him for it.

Good find though, as it documents how some of this line of thinking was spread. I too would like to hear their opinion today as well.

Douglas.Curtis is online now Quote

Old 09-10-2018, 07:11 AM #14
Shmavis
Being-in-the-world

Shmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud ofShmavis has much to be proud of

§467. I am sitting with a philosopher in the garden; he says again and again “I know that that’s a tree”, pointing to a tree that is near us. Someone else arrives and hears this, and I tell him: “This fellow isn’t insane. We are only doing philosophy.”

Last edited by Shmavis; 09-10-2018 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: drinking is no excuse for being so salty...
Shmavis is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:44 AM #15
Iamnumber

Iamnumber will become famous soon enoughIamnumber will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmavis View Post

Thank you for your messages Shmavis. I found them well articulated and helpful. You put it very nicely that you do not have info on the subject but are repeating what you have found out from good sources.

As said, very helpful and well shared information - Thank you kindly
Iamnumber is offline Quote

Old 09-14-2018, 11:53 AM #16
insomniac_AU

insomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmavis View Post
Perhaps nothing more than an old wives’ tale; however, harvesting during the dark cycle isn’t.

I do it more so out of routine than anything else. Running a multi-strain garden from seed it’s easier to remove plants for darkness to then chop later outside the flower room instead of potentially disrupting light cycle to chop a plant or two.

"Timing the harvest is Paramount to the final quality. Harvest your precious buds in the dark, just before the lights normally come on. If possible, do not allow the plants to see direct light as long as their roots are attached. Direct light on a plant will draw up stored starches and sugars from the root system. During the nighttime hours, our ladies are busy storing food down in their root system that they made during the daylight hours. During “lights out,” starches and sugars produced by photosynthesis during the day drain downward to the roots.
This is why I do it not for increased resin production. It's not a strict 24hrs anyway. My lights come on close to midnight and I don't want to start chopping at midnight so I switch the lights off until the next morning.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:51 PM #17
Shmavis
Being-in-the-world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnumber View Post
Thank you for your messages Shmavis. I found them well articulated and helpful. You put it very nicely that you do not have info on the subject but are repeating what you have found out from good sources.

As said, very helpful and well shared information - Thank you kindly
You’re welcome. Thanks for the kind words. And yes, (practical) anecdotal evidence is all I have to point to. Just as deniers have nothing but opinions to deny with.

When we consider how a plant goes hermi in an attempt to preserve itself, it doesn’t seem too much of a stretch to think that it would pump out extra resin under such conditions (extended dark period) to attract pollen to get fertilized, as claimed.

It’s interesting, and something I have done for many years but admit I have questioned it from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac_AU View Post
This is why I do it not for increased resin production. It's not a strict 24hrs anyway. My lights come on close to midnight and I don't want to start chopping at midnight so I switch the lights off until the next morning.
Thanks for sharing your experience. You’re getting at the gist of what I was trying to get at. This is the New Growers forum and even if new growers don’t give an extended period of dark before chopping, they should strive to chop before lights on. There is sound reasons for doing so.

Shmavis is offline Quote

Old 09-15-2018, 03:06 PM #18
bsgospel

bsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of light
I have some thoughts for and against this:

Carbon assimilation is done best in the light. Stomata actively open and capture CO2 when light and heat are creating negative pressure, thus this the best opportunity for stomata to be open. In the dark, stomata are closed but porous- however, not even a percent of the activity when light is present. 50% of PAR is absorbed in the light becoming ~2% biomass. What might you think that percentage is in the dark?

That CO2 becomes CH2O becoming pyruvate to fuel TCA and mevalonate pathways which employ/metabolize root exudates and the excretions in our substrate and rhizosphere- ultimately becoming the prenoids/hydrocarbons which are the glands of our glandular trichomes. (There are a thousand more steps in there, but that's basically the frame...)

You can't get to frost/resin without light. I'm not saying a plant doesn't metabolize in the dark but the sort of negative pressure the light and heat provide are just as important as your nutrients, water, water use efficiency, etc. Preservation tactics would be employed and executed by the pericarp and endocarp cells of our bud- but guess what? pericarp cells also have stomata and they have to be open as well. If they were closed for a few days, how could these cells do anything remotely preservation like, let alone think about giving back frost, which costs the plant tremendously in terms of sugar or ATP/rubisco usage?

My point For is less.... pointed- when we go to cure, our enemies are heat, light and air- correct? Maybe the less light and heat you deploy on a standing plant, the less trichomes you destroy before harvesting? Or perhaps at a different angle of acceptance, or no angle of acceptance, of light- we perceive a difference in aesthetic quality?

Cheers, my friends!

Last edited by bsgospel; 09-15-2018 at 03:22 PM..
bsgospel is offline Quote

Old 09-15-2018, 03:49 PM #19
bsgospel

bsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of light
And also, to clarify: metabolization in the dark. Creation of sugars is not light dependent; I just mean to point out the assimilation in the process. How can we have more production when our assimilation is capped by the lack of light, if you see what I mean...The splitting of water and the reduction of CO2 have to take place simultaneously, so that can only happen in the light.
bsgospel is offline Quote

Old 09-15-2018, 05:35 PM #20
Iffy
Nil Illegitimus Carburundum

Iffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud ofIffy has much to be proud of
I do leave the lights off for 24 hours and sometimes more at harvest time. I'm not pressed by the need for the next cycle to replace them so why not? Even if it adds just a little je-ne-sais-qoit to the smoke, I'm willing to do it.
I judge my own harvest time by the colour of the trichs. When 10-15% of them have turned a nice amber colour I harvest. Occasionally this doesn't happen and all the trichs turn a milky white. When this happens, I turn the lights off two days later.
I'm not recommending this to anyone, it's just the way I've learned to do it and it works for me.
I do intend to play-around with the % of amber, to see if I can tweak the buds to a more pain-relieving smoke. I'll go for roughly 20% next time and see what effect it has.
Regards,
Iffy

The Chronic Pain Club - a resource for us all!

My definition of an EXPERT; An 'EX' is a has-been & a 'SPURT' is a drip under pressure!

****************************** ****************************** ****************************** ***
All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small.
Lao Tzu

****************************** ****************************** ****************************** ***
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Iffy is offline Quote