What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How much Terpene is too much?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I bought a bunch or terps for edibles and this stuff goes a long way so I am playing with them and learning what I can about them.

One thing I am doing is tasting each one. Today's test subject is Alpha Pinene.

Found in pine trees and used in turpentine. Supposed to taste like turpentine but it doesn't seem to be like that to me.

Here is how I taste it.

First I took 1 microliter (i use a capillary tube measured at 1 ul) and placed it on a small bud in my glass vape. AT very low temp I could definitely taste it over the familiar taste of my C99. Did it again. Same taste.

Then, I took 2ul and did the same. Nice taste. More defined.

Then 4 ul. Got a nice feel for the taste.

How about effect? It is supposed to provide... pain relief, energy, calming, focus, uplifting (quite frankly that sounds rather contradictory but, whatever).

Is 10ul enough to show some effect? Is it too much? And, as the OP says..... How much terpene is too much?

I will stick to 1 terp per day. I would like to do multiple sessions of about 10ul throughout the day to see if it really has any effect. Maybe 5 sessions of 10ul for 50ul in a day???

However, my tolerance is so high that it's possible that I could take a dangerous amount before ever feeling any effects.

So... does anyone really know what a safe amount of terp is supposed to be? I am going to see what reading is available and I'll post and pertinent info I find. I think I recall someone saying terps a required to have an MSDS sheet. That might be helpful.

Well, thanks for any comments.

I am using these five terps:

Alpha Pinene
Myrcene
Beta Caryophyllene
Limonene
Linalool

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
<<A little at a time – Terpenes can be added to aromatherapy blends, diffusers, lotions, edibles, tinctures, cocktails, homemade cleaners, bug repellents, plant extracts, and generally used as you might an essential oil.
Terpenes are POTENT and should never be consumed, inhaled, or applied to the skin before being diluted. Be sure to consult their SDS before working with isolated terpenes.
Certain terpenes are more potent than others and they must be handled with care. When using isolated terpenes be sure to use the appropriate skin protection, eye protection and operate in a well ventilated area.
In most cases you will want to stay within 1-5% concentration by volume but can vary depending on the isolated terpene, blend, person, and desired effects>>.

https://buy-terpenes.com/products/tt/isolates/alpha-pinene/

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I have been reading various safety sheets and it's all very confusing.

For example, one sheet says, LD (Oral) Rat 3700 mg/kg

So, I ASSume that means Lethal Dosage (if taken orally) when tested on a rat was 3700 millgrams of terp per kilogram of rat.

So, I am about 70 kilos and so I should be able to consume (orally) about 9 ounces of Alpha Pinene before I'm lethal. So, I guess it's safe to say, 1/10th of that would be safe. So, just drink an ounce the first time. LMAO

Come on.

And, how about this....

In case of warming: Vapours can form explosive mixtures with air, risk of ignition

And, we are vaping the stuff in vapes that go from 0 to 500F. Surely one of those temps and air mixtures should be just right for an explosion in your face.

So, while the MSDS data sheets may contain a lot of information.... understanding the information and applying it to exactly what we/I am doing is somewhat more confusing.

Thanks again for any input.

ozzieAI

Veteran
hey RD...as stated in the other terp thread i use 2ml/20 gr of bud and once i add oil, lecithin and terps get a mix of around 70ml...

this is strong enough for me and others to notice the difference in terpene profiles....

as for how much is too much...i think you are pushing the envelope when you go over 5%...

given your insanely high tolerances i would be cautious doing high numbers of terpenes as you already stated knowing how much to apply can be problematic...

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Thanks ozzie. I should have remembered that. I do remember you posting it. I don't know about all this medical talk but I sure know why they call it dope. Or, did for 50 years. I can't remember shit. LOL

Thanks for the post bud. That will give me a guideline.

I can't say I noticed anything different about last night. Taste was fair. I'll try another terp next chance I get.

I'm not sure how your 2ml/20g converts to vaping but if an average vape bowl is 100mg of flower then terps would be 2/20 would be 10ul of terps for each hit. I did do 10ul last night but it was divided into 4 bowls of 100mg each.

Thanks again for the reminder post. I don't know what I would do without you folks around here that hold me up. And, then pick me up when I fall down. LOL Almost like my friends picked me up when I fell during my "drunken period". LOL

Thanks again

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Any terpene not produced by the same plant is too much. Grow a strain that produces great flavors. And mail back the terps. I am so sick of people handing me pens that taste like candy or cake or some other crap. 100% cannabis derived extracts or find a new hobby.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Any terpene not produced by the same plant is too much. Grow a strain that produces great flavors. And mail back the terps. I am so sick of people handing me pens that taste like candy or cake or some other crap. 100% cannabis derived extracts or find a new hobby.

Awesome comment dude!!!!

Wow, you are incredibly well informed about terpenes, I can just tell.

And, I agree. I also use 2 different salt shakers. One to salt my corn and one to salt my broccoli. It is so different when the salt comes from a different shaker.

Again, thanks for the incredible contribution. I am so glad that the Pinene in cannabis is so totally different than any other pinene.

I would love to talk more about it with you because you obviously are so well informed but I have to run out and buy more salt shakers because I am having potatoes and radishes tonight and I can't use the same salt as I use on my corn and broccoli.

Thanks again bud. Oh, you didn't breed, did you? OK, cool.

Idiot.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Awesome comment dude!!!!

Wow, you are incredibly well informed about terpenes, I can just tell.

And, I agree. I also use 2 different salt shakers. One to salt my corn and one to salt my broccoli. It is so different when the salt comes from a different shaker.

Again, thanks for the incredible contribution. I am so glad that the Pinene in cannabis is so totally different than any other pinene.

I would love to talk more about it with you because you obviously are so well informed but I have to run out and buy more salt shakers because I am having potatoes and radishes tonight and I can't use the same salt as I use on my corn and broccoli.

Thanks again bud. Oh, you didn't breed, did you? OK, cool.

Idiot.

Your herb must be pretty good if you feel the need to flavor it. No need to be a genius. Thanks though. Ill keep hunting worthy phenos, you keep pretending.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Hey bud, I was just teasing. Love ya dude. :)

And, actually I agree with what you say about finding the taste naturally. I just happen to have these terps that I bought to mix with some edibles (just to see if it really did make a difference) and now I have all these terps left and nothing to do with them. LOL

So, I'm just playing and experimenting. Once these terps are gone, it's unlikely I will buy any more.

Just fuckin' with ya, my friend. Love ya.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Thanks. I was probably feeling cranky. But it is how I feel about them. So far I have a kosher tangie, skunk haze and bruce banner that all produce a far better and more flavorful extract than any added terp pen I have tried. And several more I that are good, but not as good.

Stick to the 100% cannabis stuff. Lol. You know that.

ozzieAI

Veteran
the main reason why we add terps back into our mixes is to replace the ones lost during the process of making edibles.

yes using cannabis derived terps would be 'best' but they are uber expensive and at the end of the day limonene is limonene whether it comes from cannabis or lemons...

i make caps out of decarbed buds...the decarb removes all/most of the terps giving my caps a bland effect...by adding terps back i can now make my mix have any effect i want. for example my 2 main recipes reflect indica and sativa effects from the same original buds i used.

this is where the 'magic' is at...

beta

Veteran

Why? Terps are terps, whether they're produced by cannabis or oranges. They are identical on a molecular level. You can't tell the difference, and no device can tell the difference.