What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

All About THCV! Where To Find It? What does It Do? Research From Israel 4/22/2017

Galaxy420

eh, you want to be more specific? different cannabinoids have different affinities to both CB1 and CB2, not to mention other substances in the plant that also effect receptor affinity. Caryophyllene for example..

regardless, CBD+friends only needs to bind enough to encourage repair to neural pathways. This is not a cure, but something to abate the effect of these degentrivie ailments

quite reasonable to this so im my opinion. I am not a medical expert, but logically it would seem to make sense.

My best friends father has been diagnosed with ALS for as long as i've known him (15+ years), So as long as he stays as mentally strong as he has in the last decade+ I may have a better idea of the possibility in a few years time (gatta find a reliable plant for thcV first.)

I said it wrong- the cannabinoids influence the cellular enzymes and cause more enzymatic reactions that feed/ fuel the cell. the receptors' metabolism ( biochemical pathway) are enzymatic driven actions dictated by the ligand molecules ( cannabinoids)...

brown_thumb

I said it wrong- the cannabinoids influence the cellular enzymes and cause more enzymatic reactions that feed/ fuel the cell. the receptors' metabolism ( biochemical pathway) are enzymatic driven actions dictated by the ligand molecules ( cannabinoids)...

I'm thinking cannabis use (especially consumed orally) along with a diet encouraging ketone body production is the current optimal treatment for these diseases. My thinking is to use MCT oil as the carrier for extracted cannabinoid compounds.

Easy7

Veteran
People hear antagonist and they think 'non-drug'. This isn't true at all. So far, nicotine antagonist will paralyze you and can kill you.

So don't jump the gun and think all is known about mind or drugs that affect the mind. It's still a neural attachment and it's function is not entirely certain. Cells can modify behavior a lot of different ways and I don't believe all is entirely known.

After all the self is just a bunch of neurons but it's a prison too. It's entirely possible to transcend antagonize. It may even be easier, because the source is inside you and not associated with attachment to an outside source. We live in a society of cheap gimmicks of utility something has.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
So lets take a step back and look at who this is.
Steep Hill Labs has started a company that licensed Doug's Varin.
And of course they are spinning this nice little tale about the novel qualities of their patent strain.

Just because a business operates a lab does not mean that they are purely scientific, impartial, or benevolent.

Those stating that THCV is aboslutely non-psychoactive are doing so because their business imterest are in posing this cannabinoid as a pharmaceutical and so it cannot be an entheogen nor an inebriant

The fact is, THCV makes cannabis highly psychoactive.

For unbiased science, look to the studies earlier than the 80's.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
@Thcvhunter

The Steep Hill Labs article says in the 3rd paragraph in bold:

THCV is more strongly psychoactive than THC, but only has about half the duration of THC. THCV is also a protagonist of THC, modifying the effects of THC. The energetic effect of THCV is more pronounced and stronger.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
So lets take a step back and look at who this is.
Steep Hill Labs has started a company that licensed Doug's Varin.
And of course they are spinning this nice little tale about the novel qualities of their patent strain.

Just because a business operates a lab does not mean that they are purely scientific, impartial, or benevolent.

Those stating that THCV is aboslutely non-psychoactive are doing so because their business imterest are in posing this cannabinoid as a pharmaceutical and so it cannot be an entheogen nor an inebriant

The fact is, THCV makes cannabis highly psychoactive.

For unbiased science, look to the studies earlier than the 80's.

I also am not impressed with Steep Hill science.

So You say that unbiased science needs to be Pre 1980's?
I say THCV does not get you high because when 12 subjects including me, in a double blind test all felt the same way about THCV, and also with THC spiked with THCV. They all said that pure THCV is not active alone and THCV did not make pure THC stronger. They had all answered a 100 question Organoleptic survey before and after the tests. These were the same tests where we did prove that the right terpenes do modulate and a few could potentiate THC.
That and all recent studies published in the science journals say THCV is a CB1 antagonist, please show me the science that supports your view even if it is pre 1980's. Please list the references.

As for THCV making Cannabis highly psychoactive, I have never seen anything like that and I have been around THCV varieties for decades and bred the varieties to increase the THCV contents, and the higher they got the less active to get you high the Cannabis was, that simple.
I had a GC and a HPLC and I know what the THCV contents were. If they were a 10 or 20 to one ratio of THC to THCV the Cannabis will still get you high, similar to 10 to 20 to one ratios of THC to CBD, while a 10 or 20 to one ratio of THCV to THC reduces the THC effects considerably, as does a 10 to 20 to one ratio of CBD to THC, that will not make the THC stronger and few will say it does.

I know that even 1 to 1 ratios of THC to CBD Cannabis do get you high as that is what most afghan hash was, but the effects are different, longer onset then THC only Cannabis products, reduced peak experience, and the reduced effects last longer. But none of this means CBD gets you high, alone or with THC, it is the THC getting you high with the CBD modulating the effects, and not to make you higher, just different then THC alone.

I understand that some folks will disagree but until they have tried the tests that I described they are just having opinions not real science based on testing and science.

If anyone can describe a test to prove that THCV does get you high, or can make Cannabis stronger, please explain to me so I can try it, I still have a little pure THCV left frozen away.

I do know people that claimed CBD gets them high, but they are very few, while THCV was for decades believed to be stronger then THC until recently, and the THCV myths die slowly.

As for medical use, THCV may well have many uses, that is not my point, I am referring to THCV and if it gets you high or can make Cannabis more potent, that I can not agree with.

If THCV got people higher I would shout it from the roof tops, but I have never found that ever, that is the truth. In general I am in favor of helping folks get higher, it is what I love myself....
-SamS

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
As for THC and CBD ratios.

I find the 1:1 to be my favorite for medical use.

Too much CBD is boring.

I wish I still had some RSC Lebanese water hashish now. I bet it's a 1:1 ratio. :)

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Dude, you are king at strawman logical fallacy.

I wonder if you just assume what someone says and give a response you prepare for general population.

Im not and never have talked about pure THCV.

You do understand that in your tests you are using an extract, right?
And that an extract is far different from flower.

A plant that has THCV may have other metabolites that create the psychedelic effect.

Whether its the THCV itself or the other secondary metabolites that make the psychedlic effect matters none to me.
Wjat does matter is that plants with THCV, when taken as a full-plant medicne, are strong(er) and are psychedelic.

I also am not impressed with Steep Hill science.

So You say that unbiased science needs to be Pre 1980's?
I say THCV does not get you high because when 12 subjects including me, in a double blind test all felt the same way about THCV, and also with THC spiked with THCV. They all said that pure THCV is not active alone and THCV did not make pure THC stronger. They had all answered a 100 question Organoleptic survey before and after the tests. These were the same tests where we did prove that the right terpenes do modulate and a few could potentiate THC.
That and all recent studies published in the science journals say THCV is a CB1 antagonist, please show me the science that supports your view even if it is pre 1980's. Please list the references.

As for THCV making Cannabis highly psychoactive, I have never seen anything like that and I have been around THCV varieties for decades and bred the varieties to increase the THCV contents, and the higher they got the less active to get you high the Cannabis was, that simple.
I had a GC and a HPLC and I know what the THCV contents were. If they were a 10 or 20 to one ratio of THC to THCV the Cannabis will still get you high, similar to 10 to 20 to one ratios of THC to CBD, while a 10 or 20 to one ratio of THCV to THC reduces the THC effects considerably, as does a 10 to 20 to one ratio of CBD to THC, that will not make the THC stronger and few will say it does.

I know that even 1 to 1 ratios of THC to CBD Cannabis do get you high as that is what most afghan hash was, but the effects are different, longer onset then THC only Cannabis products, reduced peak experience, and the reduced effects last longer. But none of this means CBD gets you high, alone or with THC, it is the THC getting you high with the CBD modulating the effects, and not to make you higher, just different then THC alone.

I understand that some folks will disagree but until they have tried the tests that I described they are just having opinions not real science based on testing and science.

If anyone can describe a test to prove that THCV does get you high, or can make Cannabis stronger, please explain to me so I can try it, I still have a little pure THCV left frozen away.

I do know people that claimed CBD gets them high, but they are very few, while THCV was for decades believed to be stronger then THC until recently, and the THCV myths die slowly.

As for medical use, THCV may well have many uses, that is not my point, I am referring to THCV and if it gets you high or can make Cannabis more potent, that I can not agree with.

If THCV got people higher I would shout it from the roof tops, but I have never found that ever, that is the truth. In general I am in favor of helping folks get higher, it is what I love myself....
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
No, I first used flower that was 1-2%, or 5%, or 10% and/or higher in THCV and the higher it got in THCV and the less THC the worse the high was and the less the high was, that is why I did the pure THC & pure THCV tests, to confirm what we found with the herb tests.

Maybe you need to try herb that is higher in THCV then THC and then say THCV containing herb makes you higher? I have and it does not. The less THCV and more THC the stronger the herb seemed subjectively. That and the right terpenes.

Maybe read:
"The effect of five day dosing with THCV on THC-induced cognitive, psychological and physiological effects in healthy male human volunteers: A placebo-controlled, double-blind, crossover pilot trial.
Amir Englund, Zerrin Atakan, Aleksandra Kralj, Nigel Tunstall, Robin Murray and Paul Morrison
Article in Journal of Psychopharmacology · November 2015
DOI: 10.1177/0269881115615104

They say:

"Subjective impression of THC strength:
Nine out of ten participants reported THC as being either weaker or less intense under THCV condition (χ2=6.4, p=0.011)."

and:

"Subjective effects:
Following completion of both THC sessions, participants were asked which THC session they felt was the weakest or least intense. Nine out of ten reported the THC session under THCV condition to be the weaker/less intense experience, suggesting THCV has a significant impact on the subjective intensity of IV THC. Furthermore, we asked participants to rate on a four-point scale how pleasurable they perceived the experience. THC significantly increased how pleasurable the experience was, with no difference between placebo and THCV conditions, suggesting that THCV does not impact on the pleasurable effects of THC.
However, future studies would benefit from employing more sensitive measures to evaluate these effects."

Odd how they found the same results that we found???
-SamS

Dude, you are king at strawman logical fallacy.

I wonder if you just assume what someone says and give a response you prepare for general population.

Im not and never have talked about pure THCV.

You do understand that in your tests you are using an extract, right?
And that an extract is far different from flower.

A plant that has THCV may have other metabolites that create the psychedelic effect.

Whether its the THCV itself or the other secondary metabolites that make the psychedlic effect matters none to me.
Wjat does matter is that plants with THCV, when taken as a full-plant medicne, are strong(er) and are psychedelic.

sdd420

Veteran
Sam just said thcv plus thc didn’t get him higher than just thc. You might have smoked a incredible bud that has you thinking this way but couldn’t it be all thc terpenes and entourage effect rather than thcv?

It was my understanding that THCV is psychoactive, but a stimulant cannabinoid, as well as an antagonist to THC. Which is why high THCV strains feel weird but are the love of ex speed freaks. That durban poison is my favorite for hiking and the high is definitely different than a high THC plant, but still gets you high.

clearheaded

ok guys, little thought expirment for us with no thcv experience. Lets be old research folks. users have uplifting feelings of clear racy NLD "type" of experience hmm only thing that seperates it chemically (terps not being on the radar for most) is some thcv so draw a conclusion oh must be thcv but again likely just entourage effect. if u will, ie several compounds not 1 or 2 or 3 ie not thcv and just thc. Think similar thing happened (baring not confused about peaks of cbn and cbd) with cbd being sleepy and left longer increased cbd. only thought it increased cbd because effects became more narcotic when left later and thought cbd was causing that effect but more so cbn increased or higher ratio of certain "heavier terps" on more mature cannabis.

we get small amounts of info about cannabis and we attempt to extrapolate it to our experience which of course will change in this new era, but spreads alot of misinfo in its wake. one day we all will be able to like sam and try different cannibinoids and terpenes together in different ways and studies will be conducted to help to sort it all out scientifically. still the WLD cbd couch lock thing is kicking around which as most of us know here is hogwash, so hopefully again in this new era we wont jump on saying its 1 or 2 chemicals causing an effect but have this entourage effect term around until we infact do narrow down these profound and subtle differences we all have with dif chemotypes and not just set and setting and the smell of a really great time we had back when which then boosts our mood or thc and cbd ratio.

numberguy

[ a few can potentiate ] did any increase the psychoactive properties of thc? even if only bye a small % or in certain individuals. Experience's appreciated.