What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Some advice please.

lovehaze

Hi everybody. So I don't post on here to much. My thoughts may be somewhat disorganized. I'm a licensed Medical grower. I've been working with this fine plant for about 11 years now everything... just about everything I know about cannabis I learned from the fine people here on Icmag. (and from personal experience) .
So recently my doctor tells me I can not smoke anymore (I guess ten joints a day for ten years finally caught up with me) and my lungs need a break. So this transition to a "edible" drug has left me with some serious questions. The most serious of which is do I even need to take this stuff anymore.
I religiously smoked sativa variety plants for obvious reasons as a heavy user anything else would have been entirely debilitating to my ability to function as a human being. That being said with out being able to smoke I can no longer have access to the same chemistry profiles that were benefiting me so much.
For purposes of simplification I am gonna try to keep this minimal. My understanding is that when Delta9-THC is in ingested the end result is: 11-Hydroxy-Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (11-OH-THC) which is a much more powerful drug than the Delta9-THC before it is digested. So we all have heard the stories about "accidental overdose" etc. So I tested some of this stuff...I took the whole candy "sativa variety" 42mg and yes I was relaxed. Now my understanding is that most people have serious overdose potential when it comes to these edibles. So essentially completely different effect than smoking. (not surprised this was not my first rodeo). I'm only stating this so you have some idea of my experience.

My question is thus: My doctor has suggested that because I use cannabis to treat chronic pain I might try the non-psychoactive Cannabidiol variety of the drug. Personally I see no problem with this but I don't like to put anything in my body without of a full understanding. So it follows that if you do not smoke the Cannabidiol but ingest it then it will follow a similar digestive breakdown process and end up in the system as some other drug. Does anybody know at this point what it breaks down into? Does the breakdown cause a similar potency spike and therefore effect? Maybe I'm not being clear? I'm just trying to get some feedback and would appreciate the conversation if I need to re-iterate anything I'm happy too. I am seeking after knowledge. If this conversation has been had or this information is anywhere else I would very much appreciate a link. Thanks for any help I always look to this place as a pinnacle of thought and knowledge. :tiphat:

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Lovehaze, what method are you smoking? A vaporizer may be less impactful for you. My lungs are very poor as well. I would suggest you go to Aceseeds.org . They have a couple regular packs of Lebanese still. It's a semi auto flowering sativa. A landrace strain with three selected phenotypes. The best information is under the breeders packs information area. The same genetics are available in the regular packs. They aren't separate by phenotype in the regular packs. All actual test results are available in information pages. I hope that this will help you in your selection. Peace

Betterhaff

Veteran
I believe whether you smoke or ingest the breakdown processes or end results are the same, just thru a different pathway.

One thing about ingesting, which a lot of people don’t understand, is there is little waste of the affecting compounds as there is with smoking. For example, is you smoke a joint you are probably only in-taking about 25 – 30% percent of the drug. If you ingest the same amount it’s like the smoking dose X 3. This is changing for the better because of the knowledge and practices that are coming about due to medical and legalization (more defined dosages).

shithawk420

Veteran
I believe whether you smoke or ingest the breakdown processes or end results are the same, just thru a different pathway.

One thing about ingesting, which a lot of people don’t understand, is there is little waste of the affecting compounds as there is with smoking. For example, is you smoke a joint you are probably only in-taking about 25 – 30% percent of the drug. If you ingest the same amount it’s like the smoking dose X 3. This is changing for the better because of the knowledge and practices that are coming about due to medical and legalization (more defined dosages).

I'm sorry but no sir.my uncle is a respiratory therapist and he smokes 10 1 gram joints a day at least.if you smoke the lungs feel it first.if you swallow the stomach feels it first.probably better to swallow though

T

Teddybrae

I'm sorry but no sir.my uncle is a respiratory therapist and he smokes 10 1 gram joints a day at least.if you smoke the lungs feel it first.if you swallow the stomach feels it first.probably better to swallow though

Guys ... just as a comparison with Mr Hawk's 10 x 1 gram joints ... the Wife and I are stoned almost to insensibility all day long when we each eat 1 cookie x 1 gram powdered heads! So that's one tenth of the smoked dose above.
we make the cookies by substituting powdered heads for some of the dry cookie ingredients. very simple. just out of the garden. not cannabis oil.
So I guess we've been eating for so long it has built up in our system? Liver can't clear the thc fast enough and stoned we remain? Dunno. But we're VERY healthy!
Peace ...
(PS: Mango Haze. high CBD)

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!

I do "maripills" and vape concentrates as I no longer smoke, nor can I smoke without gagging. Straight decarboxilated bud in a size 0 cap. The ride is nice and mellow, hitting its crescendo between 2-3 hrs of ingestion and tappers off. Ride 6 hrs. I take 2 day time pills a day and one night time pill couple hours before bed. Want a real bang for your buck, take two pills 1-1.5 hour apart. Fasten your seat belts :)

Bonus - Because I grow for myself, I don't trim for looks. Trim all leaves off wet and then dry. They may not look pretty (beauty is only skin deep) but with far less waste and fuss. I do carefully trim my best bud and jar it for future reference (record of lessons learned)

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
My question is thus: My doctor has suggested that because I use cannabis to treat chronic pain I might try the non-psychoactive Cannabidiol variety of the drug. Personally I see no problem with this but I don't like to put anything in my body without of a full understanding. So it follows that if you do not smoke the Cannabidiol but ingest it then it will follow a similar digestive breakdown process and end up in the system as some other drug. Does anybody know at this point what it breaks down into? Does the breakdown cause a similar potency spike and therefore effect? Maybe I'm not being clear? I'm just trying to get some feedback and would appreciate the conversation if I need to re-iterate anything I'm happy too. I am seeking after knowledge. If this conversation has been had or this information is anywhere else I would very much appreciate a link. Thanks for any help I always look to this place as a pinnacle of thought and knowledge. :tiphat:
CBDs are OK by themselves but require large quantities for the same effect. THC enhances the medicine so to speak. IMHO your doctor is only taken the cautious approach but, I doubt he truly knows what he is talking about. The push from the "establishment" that THC is the "bad guy". Depending on your ailment you need THC, not just the CBD. AAMOF RSO is made from plants with a high THC content. According to Rick Simpson it is a requirement in the treatment of cancer. The dosage is 60g in 60 days. Most cannot handle 1g (especially those who never used before). Therefore, most allow 90 days. Most patients will inevitably fall asleep. Good! The body heals while sleeping. Once you are free of cancer, the maintenance dosage is 1g per month.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Great advice here.

I wanted to point out the lung issues you're experiencing are from poor quality cannabis, since clean cannabis does not impair lung function. The issue is most growers do not approach cannabis as the phytoremediation tool it is, and even organically grown methods can create a less than healthy smoke.

When your cannabis is grown cleanly, it smokes softly and with a very cool temperature. It's like inhaling air packed with flavor and aroma. You know you have really clean cannabis when the last hit in the bowl is so tasty on the exhale, you find yourself chomping at it to prolong the experience.Bong hits, all day, every day, 365. The only time I have issues with a smoking regimen like this is when I use un-clean cannabis. Otherwise, not even a tiny smoker's cough or coughing up grey phlem in the shower.

I put up a post in the hydro forum, but the information applies to organically grown as well. Feed your cannabis what it needs, in only the amounts it needs, because excess (organic or refined mineral, cannabis does not care) destroys quality and affects your health. ;)

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
I have had good luck with flower pressed at 185 degrees through 90-120 micron bags. A good clean nectar collector and some practice and there is nothing harsh, irritating or hot about it. One or two pulls is all you need. I hope to try some high cbd + high thc combos in the next week to see the difference cbd offers. For portable the Linx Ares really lets you sip on the rosin.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have had good luck with flower pressed at 185 degrees through 90-120 micron bags. A good clean nectar collector and some practice and there is nothing harsh, irritating or hot about it. One or two pulls is all you need. I hope to try some high cbd + high thc combos in the next week to see the difference cbd offers. For portable the Linx Ares really lets you sip on the rosin.

Much love for rosin! We make a coconut oil suspension with it and dispense with a dropper bottle. I've been lowering temps too, working around 165f now. It seems like the low temp rosin is at least partially non decarboxylated, which means you can basically dose higher without too much of a buzz. We've also noticed that the phytol and other 'green' chemicals are very kind to digestion and make your tummy feel great. I'd definitely recommend a rosin oil suspension to anyone looking for good way to ingest medicine orally.

fywv2dl1cb311.jpg

lovehaze

Going to bump this I might have been really high when I wrote it a year ago...Doctor says I have lower lung dysfunction. A mild copd, So I have quit smoking hoping for my lungs to bounce back...been a year since I tasted some sweet sweet herb. A moment of silence please...

Anyway. my question seriously is with all the hype around CBD and legalization of it is there any "Medical" knowledge that supports isolated CBD use beyond the basic industry jargon...I read in an interesting book 'Cannabis Pharmacy The Practical Guide to Medical Marijuana' by Micheal Backes ' that essentially (not quoting the book here) if you ingest too much or "overdose" on CBD you have a high potential for cognitive impairment which leads me to the conclusion that "not psycho-active" is an industry statement for allowing CBD use under current regulations.

I will re-iterate that I have read many times that ingesting THC changes the drug and the affects of the cannabis substantially. I am asking the question does anybody have any knowledge of how smoking and ingesting CBD showcases similar changes. It is common knowledge that THC breaks down to a Hydroxyl acid ([FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11-Hydroxy-Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (11-OH-THC)[/FONT]) in the digestive track. It follows that CBD will break down into something as well? Nobody seems to be able to answer this for me...so bump maybe in a year somebody has figured it out? Any help appreciated thanks for the enlightened and educated conversation.