What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cherry (18% CBD/0.2% THC) s1 open-pollination breeding project

TerpeneDream

Hey all,

So it's going to be my 2nd grow, and my first attempt at 'breeding'… So I'm kind of starting this thread for advice…

I've come across an 18% CBD, and 0.25% THC, strain called "Cherry"

She smells of lemons, then white grape, cherry, and finally a dark warm sugary grape upon final maturation…

Here she is grown:

L-R:

1. Direct to soil in the San Luis Valley
2. Direct to soil in Fort Collins
3. Greenhouse @ 7k feet

So I've got 5/5 hermie seeds growing now… (A hermie seed IS an s1, right?!)

I'm also growing Real Seed Co's Himalayan, Ace's PCK, 91 Chemdog, Sour Diesel,Chunky Diesel and Master Kush.

I'm thinking about just doing an open pollination and letting all of the genes evenly mix up for a round or two…and then start making selections.

Does this sound like it would work?

Advice, feedback, questions?!

:canabis:

BlazinAzn

I'm not trying to burst your bubble but imho I wouldn't start anything hermie or begin breeding with it. I am a firm believer that the hermie trait will pass on to the next generation or any offspring it is crossed to. The difference with feminised seeds is that depending on breeder effort a great deal of testing happens with the selected strain before it gets reversed into female pollen. If you found a stable strain that has been stressed a great deal without developing any hermie traits then you have a female worth reversing for feminised offspring. Even then feminised offspring are just as likely to go hermie as regular offspring. An S1 would be the selected female being forced to reverse and pollinate itself rather than going hermie under enviornmental stress and creating offspring. That's just my take on it. I don't bother getting feminised seeds unless its from a good standing breeding company.

TerpeneDream

Maybe so…But CHEMDOG…SOUR DIESEL?!

These are hermies (so the story goes) and some of the most legendary strains. GG#4 is a popular mofo as well that seems to make a lot of people happy.

Picarus

Your S-1's should be all female. What are you planning on using for pollen? I like to grow out my s-1's as well when they happen, just to see whats in them. Not a good place to start a breeding project though. Select a male from the most stable of your other seed strains that you like. No instant gratification in breeding.

KiefSweat

Veteran
those where feminized seed made with sts,

they are pretty stable under the sun, indoors noticed maybe 2% herm in the seed line

an outcross is going to produce a majority of mixed ratio offspring, its going to depend on the pollen donor what the ratios will be but a lot of the stuff ive seen has been about 2:1 cbd to thc using thc pollen

BlazinAzn

Maybe so…But CHEMDOG…SOUR DIESEL?!

These are hermies (so the story goes) and some of the most legendary strains. GG#4 is a popular mofo as well that seems to make a lot of people happy.
I'm not saying that it won't work. I just think that the hermie trait will take more work and effort to breed out of the strain but if you believe it will be worth it then go for it.

TerpeneDream

those where feminized seed made with sts,

they are pretty stable under the sun, indoors noticed maybe 2% herm in the seed line

an outcross is going to produce a majority of mixed ratio offspring, its going to depend on the pollen donor what the ratios will be but a lot of the stuff ive seen has been about 2:1 cbd to thc using thc pollen

What were made with sts? I surely didn't use any..so I'm not sure what you're referring to...

TerpeneDream

?!

No you didn't. Lol. I got them from bud that was given to me, from a plant I pulled out of the ground myself.

Could you explain what you're talking about...

KiefSweat

Veteran
the strain comes from seed I've been working on and making. If you found seed in some bud then it may not be the same chemical profile as the parent.
In the past year there's been over an ounce of "Cherry S1" seed thats been grown throughout Colorado

KiefSweat

Veteran
picture.php

TerpeneDream

Ohh…So you were the one who actually bred cherry?! Nice dude!

So you gave it to the old rancher in the valley who gave it to the FPS in Foco?

If so, neat.

What are the parents? I thought I heard R4 was the mother…

If you care to share…What is the full family tree for this?!

TerpeneDream

Smells kind of berry like..but slightly lemony

Tastes just like she smells

As to the 'high'…It's actually quite pleasant. Mild, subltle, but if you're in tune, you can feel this strain..lightly

It tastes so nice I would smoke it just because

Harvesting in the field is a really euphoric experience. Cherry makes you laugh and smile when you smell her, I'm guessing it's the limonene thats balanced with something slightly warm and 'comfortable'

Oh, and, despite my crappy pics…She is slightly purple. That's always nice.

Cheers

KiefSweat

Veteran
Ohh…So you were the one who actually bred cherry?! Nice dude!

So you gave it to the old rancher in the valley who gave it to the FPS in Foco?

If so, neat.

What are the parents? I thought I heard R4 was the mother…

If you care to share…What is the full family tree for this?!

It might not have come directly from me, but a lot of the hemp grown this past summer came from the same stock (long story don't need to cry about it)

Parents are a Cannatonic X AfghanSkunk, i personally love the smoke, its different but its got its own effect. The concentrates from it are really special.

Yup Mike same strain.

MOneYMiKe

Patriot Father 2a Defender /Breeder
Veteran
Yeah cherry ludens....thanks for the love.....shit had me feeling a.o.k.

Latest posts

Latest posts