What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Wanna get high?

Wanna get high?

These are some year plus aged Mulanje canary buds.
Real tripping grass laugh your ass off gear.

picture.php
picture.php

Tangwena

Veteran
Panama x Honduras and Honduras x Panama

Panama x Honduras and Honduras x Panama

Here are some cob cured buds of what was labelled A22 Panama x Honduras 2 different cures both 1 year old.
First pic from a short sweat cob aged 1 year +
Third pic from a longer sweat cob aged 1 year +

It is so strong you can overdose easily chewing the cob and needs a lot of respect. If you have too much you spend 3 or 4 hours rolling around on the floor alternating between leaving your body and riding waves of euphoria.
If your careful and get the dose right its a trippy euphoric ride full of smiles and love for every living creature.

The second pic is fro a 1 month aged short sweat Purple Honduras x Panama cob.
This needs aging further but is crazy tunes strong already once aged it will be something else also.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Tangwena

Veteran
Aces Pan Hond crossed to Mulanje

Aces Pan Hond crossed to Mulanje

Golden cure by Buddler lemon sweet and sticky I am sure.
5 star cure on some 5 star buds.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Gorgeous technique! Any idea why it's called corn "cob" curing instead of corn HUSK curing? Had me really confused for a minute... Thinkin' you guys were digging out the center of corn cobs or something ;)

Tangwena

Veteran
Gorgeous technique! Any idea why it's called corn "cob" curing instead of corn HUSK curing? Had me really confused for a minute... Thinkin' you guys were digging out the center of corn cobs or something ;)
The name comes from Malawi its the English translation of the Malawian name.
I suppose it was called a cob no matter what the wrapping was, as they traditionally use banana tree bark as well as maize husk. Because of the finished wrapped products resemblance to a corn cob.
As far as I know they have always been called cobs.

SunScrabble

Sorry to barge in, have an upcoming harvest of Bangi haze in the next few weeks that I have cross pollenated with Lebanese. On my last harvest I cobbed roughly half. Though this time I have a seeded harvest and wonder if cobbing may have an effect on the seeds. Kind of worried they will start sprouting during the ferment process or that germination rates will drop.

Anyone with experience cobbing seeded bud?

Thanks in advance!!

F

Fermented

I didn't experience any germination of seeded bud that was made into cobs.

I now try to remove any seeds before cobbing as I roll tight cobs that become rock hard when smoke-able and so the seeds tend to get cut when I snip off little bits for smoking (and no one likes smoking a bit of seed shell).

If your bud is any more than very lightly seeded, I'd suggest not cobbing with it. You could try to remove the seeds then cob, but this tends to mangle the buds, smear the resin and there's always seeds remaining in the bud.

If your buds are heavily seeded and you still want to cob, then I'd suggest removing the seeds by pressing the half dry buds to pop out the seeds then immediately roll into cobs.

by the way, I've never tried germinating seeds that were found inside mature cobs (i eat any I find), but I'd imagine you would get much lower germination rates due the pressure, temps and moisture the seeds are subject to during the cobbing process.

Happy Cobbing

48N

well i cant say how much have germed but some definately did after cobbing
but i think it depends on the temperatures
i think theres a lot of protein in seeds and if its over 41-42 degress de proteins "denatured" (i dont know what the correct english term is), at least in the human body and i think then they wont be able to germinate anymore
but i cant say wether its the same proteins as in the human organism

i dont know wether that helped
but there definatley will be a too high temperature
when i cobbed i definately didnt exceed 40 degrees
more like a maximum of 35 but i think way less, more like 30
talking about degrees celsius of course

SunScrabble

Right on, I figured I would lose some seed viability through the cobbing process. To avoid pressure damage I was going for more of a canary cob approach.

Interesting insight about the proteins denaturing. This is what I want to avoid.

Buds are heavily seeded, almost a seed in every calyx. So I may just try to remove the seeds first, these plants were mainly for seed production.

Thanks for the insights! Also I may just have to do a post-cob germination thread.

Tangwena

Veteran
Right on, I figured I would lose some seed viability through the cobbing process. To avoid pressure damage I was going for more of a canary cob approach.

Interesting insight about the proteins denaturing. This is what I want to avoid.

Buds are heavily seeded, almost a seed in every calyx. So I may just try to remove the seeds first, these plants were mainly for seed production.

Thanks for the insights! Also I may just have to do a post-cob germination thread.
Hi my friend if your after the seeds for germination I would remove as many as you need to be sure.
The lower temp cures say around 35c dont effect the germination too much. But higher temp say 40 to 45c def reduce viability.
I have never had a seed germinate inside a cob or canary bud for some reason even though you would think the warm moist conditions would cause them to.
The cobs we used to buy in Malawi used to have viable seeds at least 50% were viable.

F

Fermented

For heavily seeded bud I'd suggest slow drying the buds for several months in a cool, dark, dry environment then dry sifting them over several screens in a cold, dry room to produce dry sift.

After the resin has been removed from the plant material (use a magnifying glass before, during and after sifting....this will make you a better hash maker), the seeds can be removed by hand or the separated by sifting the material over a window screen or similar (so the broken up plant material passes through the screen and the seeds and stems remain on top of the screen). You can also use a kitchen sifter or just the window screen mesh and make a bag out of it that can be suspended and rubbed with both palms to remove the pulverized plant material from the seeds. If you are using a used window or door screen, make sure to scrub both sides with soap and a sponge then rinse (and thoroughly dry it) to clean it up before using it.

The high from dry sift (that has been carefully made and expertly re-sifted so it is mostly resin heads) is, in my opinion, the best high of all.

Last edited:

SunScrabble

Thank you Tangwena, love the method of cobbing, this will be my third harvest doing so. So thank you for introducing the subject to me! Feel a bit more connected to the plant when eating it as a cob. Glad to hear that there was still seed viability in the traditional cobs that you had.

Fermented, I will probably end up doing just that. Dry sift is another preparation method that has intrigued me, but I have yet to separate just glands from plant material, always end up with trichome stalk intermixed. Makes great edibles though!! Have been eating Lebanese hash popcorn all week!!!

Tangwena

Veteran
Thank you Tangwena, love the method of cobbing, this will be my third harvest doing so. So thank you for introducing the subject to me! Feel a bit more connected to the plant when eating it as a cob. Glad to hear that there was still seed viability in the traditional cobs that you had.

Fermented, I will probably end up doing just that. Dry sift is another preparation method that has intrigued me, but I have yet to separate just glands from plant material, always end up with trichome stalk intermixed. Makes great edibles though!! Have been eating Lebanese hash popcorn all week!!!
You will be getting the hang of it now I am sure.
I seem to get better every time, there is always something you think of to improve the cure.
Lately I have been focusing on retaining those sweet fermented terps and oils into the final aged product.
I get more excited every harvest.
Some of the loose packet cobs we used to buy had heaps of seeds in them.

Being loose packed the buds could be easily crushed up the pot was dry and powdery.

The seeds easily removed by placing the crushed up cob bud on a piece of cardboard or tray and agitating it while on a sloping angle the seeds just rolled off.
The chaff that was left over was usually very strong being mostly the resin covered husks of the seeds.
Being seeded does nothing to put me off ha ha.

F

Fermented

Sunscrabble wrote Fermented, I will probably end up doing just that. Dry sift is another preparation method that has intrigued me, but I have yet to separate just glands from plant material, always end up with trichome stalk intermixed. Makes great edibles though!! Have been eating Lebanese hash popcorn all week!!!

Even dry sift that is contaminated with trichome stalks and other broken up plant matter is still more potent than the bud it came from as it has a higher percentage of resin heads.

It's not easy to produce 100% resin heads by dry sifting, but you can get 90% pure if you use a very gentle technique*, multiple screens and with aged material that was grown and handled correctly.

* I won't go too far off topic in this thread, please check out the Hashish forum here on ICmag.com ...there are lots of posts about dry sifting if you dig around there and I'm sure you will gain some knowledge (knowledge = purity!).

anyway...back to cobbing.
I've cobbed up a few in the past month. On one of them I tried cobbing without drying the bud first and I won't do that again as the cob now smells damp, not that nice earthy "cob" smell (but the effects are about the same).....perhaps I should of dried the cobs longer after the initial 24 hours @ 40C?

Tangwena

Veteran
Sunscrabble wrote Fermented, I will probably end up doing just that. Dry sift is another preparation method that has intrigued me, but I have yet to separate just glands from plant material, always end up with trichome stalk intermixed. Makes great edibles though!! Have been eating Lebanese hash popcorn all week!!!

Even dry sift that is contaminated with trichome stalks and other broken up plant matter is still more potent than the bud it came from as it has a higher percentage of resin heads.

It's not easy to produce 100% resin heads by dry sifting, but you can get 90% pure if you use a very gentle technique*, multiple screens and with aged material that was grown and handled correctly.

* I won't go too far off topic in this thread, please check out the Hashish forum here on ICmag.com ...there are lots of posts about dry sifting if you dig around there and I'm sure you will gain some knowledge (knowledge = purity!).

anyway...back to cobbing.
I've cobbed up a few in the past month. On one of them I tried cobbing without drying the bud first and I won't do that again as the cob now smells damp, not that nice earthy "cob" smell (but the effects are about the same).....perhaps I should of dried the cobs longer after the initial 24 hours @ 40C?
Hi Fermented experimentation is the way to learn.
The drying and the sweating are critical things to get right.

It is where you are able to express your true artistry.

You have to be like a gun dog sniffing out the downed bird.
Slowly you get the scent.
Watch the changes in the bud as it sweats, know that whenever you stop the sweat changes will continue.
Its how you use those changes that make great cures happen.
I have seen some outstanding cures on these forums.

There are going to be some talented curers in a few years.
Practice makes perfect follow your nose.

F

Fermented

I tend to try something different every time I make cobs, like cobbing airy, small buds without half drying them first...these ones ended up being very dark, almost black in color, but no worries mate, the other ones are fine.
I grow plants the same way, always trying something different (timing, amounts, etc) and have done it that way for decades..can't help myself!.

Tangwena

Veteran
I tend to try something different every time I make cobs, like cobbing airy, small buds without half drying them first...these ones ended up being very dark, almost black in color, but no worries mate, the other ones are fine.
I grow plants the same way, always trying something different (timing, amounts, etc) and have done it that way for decades..can't help myself!.
I do as well but its only because I cant remember what I did last time ha ha.
I keep records on the bag but they always seem to get lost.
Any pics of the dark cob?

It would be cool to see the others if you still have them as well. I love looking at other peoples handy work.

I tested my 4 months aged outdoor grown Panama x Purple haze today but it was not up to par.

Strong but not enough trippy effects for my taste.
Could have been a bad pheno, bad growing, or bad curing although it tastes fantastic just doesn't have enough get up and go, very level placid high not couch lock just not enough excitement.