What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hemp oil dosage for dog?

scanner248

Thanks in advance for any help.

My 6 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with osteosarcoma (bone cancer) last week. I have access to the phoenix tears form of hemp oil for treatment. I gave him his first dose last night, approx size of grain of rice. I put it in a capsule and filled the rest with food grade hemp oil. Seemed like a good idea. This made him somewhat disoriented within an hour, then slept pretty soundly the rest of the night.

He's up this morning. Had some breakfast and morning dose of vet prescribed meds. Due to the very aggressive nature of this cancer, can anyone help me with getting him up to a theraputic dosage of the phoenix tears hemp oil as quickly as possible?

Other questions:
- What is the best form for digesting? Directly on food or in capsule like last night?
- Is there a best known topical application? I would like to attack the main tumor on his leg through the skin also.

Thanks again.

GoeRilla

What you should do if you care for your dog is take it to the vet and ask him to give your dog the last injektion.
A dog is not a human and there are no reason for keeping them alive when they are sick and suffer.

rilla.

Easy7

Veteran
I dont believe in putting dogs down and I am sorry to hear about your loved pet. Id only put a dog down if I couldnt walk or feed them, if they can walk to go to do their biz and eat then they can stay alive!

Mikron

Your harming your dog. Their liver Cannot metabolize thc. I've also seen a husky die from liver failure from eating trim.

FoCo(No.Co)

Barned
Veteran
Your harming your dog. Their liver Cannot metabolize thc. I've also seen a husky die from liver failure from eating trim.

Oh bollocks.

Weed is as safe for dogs as it is for humans, if your dog died from eating trim there must have been a bunch of avid in it.

Mikron

Oh bollocks.

Weed is as safe for dogs as it is for humans, if your dog died from eating trim there must have been a bunch of avid in it.

I feel sorry for people like you who think they know everything... Consult your vet before giving your beloved pet toxic medicines.

FoCo(No.Co)

Barned
Veteran
I feel sorry for people like you who think they know everything... Consult your vet before giving your beloved pet toxic medicines.

Calling cannabis toxic is stupid. Cannabis/thc/cannabinoids is one of the safest substances known to man or dog.

I bet your vet is a weed expert, hahaha.

Just because your liver can metabolize cannabis doesn't mean a dog can, thats just stupidity.

There is nothing in cannabis that is toxic, so even if dogs couldnt metabolize thc/cannabinoids, it wouldnt matter becuase all of the above substances are rediculously safe. They could stay in any mammals bloodstream for an indefinite amount of time and cause no harm whatsoever.

Not to mention, I think most everyone on this board with a dog has has their pup get some weed or edibles accidentally and it wears off within a day. How would a high dog come down if it couldnt metabolize cannabinoids?

cravin morehead

Veteran
scanner- i have no help for you. i have never tried this.

however, i lost one of my best dogs to liver cancer. i feel for you. its sad to see what becomes of your little buddy. its been twenty years since i lost my dog, but i still think about her almost daily... so heres to hoping your dog feels loved and is comfortable throughout this ordeal...

i'm sorry for you and your dog,

cm

scanner248

What you should do if you care for your dog is take it to the vet and ask him to give your dog the last injektion.
A dog is not a human and there are no reason for keeping them alive when they are sick and suffer.

rilla.

Thank you. We know that is the likely outcome. I've had to put down my furry companions before and it's always a painful decision. Right now I don't believe he's suffering other than pain in his leg and he's getting around pretty well. Since he's young, I want to fight this if I can and before it gets into his lungs.

scanner248

Thanks for your input. I will consider it. I figure the hemp oil couldn't be any worse than all the other stuff he's been prescribed by the vet.

scanner248

Calling cannabis toxic is stupid. Cannabis/thc/cannabinoids is one of the safest substances known to man or dog.

I bet your vet is a weed expert, hahaha.

There is nothing in cannabis that is toxic, so even if dogs couldnt metabolize thc/cannabinoids, it wouldnt matter becuase all of the above substances are rediculously safe. They could stay in any mammals bloodstream for an indefinite amount of time and cause no harm whatsoever.

Not to mention, I think most everyone on this board with a dog has has their pup get some weed or edibles accidentally and it wears off within a day. How would a high dog come down if it couldnt metabolize cannabinoids?

Thanks FoCo, we're neighbors. I am in the same town. Yay prop 64!

All other posts I have found on the internet do not mention anything regarding harmful side effects.

FoCo(No.Co)

Barned
Veteran
Thanks FoCo, we're neighbors. I am in the same town. Yay prop 64!

Cool man, its a small world!

All other posts I have found on the internet do not mention anything regarding harmful side effects.

I encourage you to do your own research, personally I think that cannabis can be benificial to people or pets suffering from cancer.

As far as dosage, when my dogs get into edibles I can tell they have had too much when they do this thing where they start to nod/fall over head first and then catch themselves and straighten up. It looks like when a little kid is falling asleep in a car and nods off and catches himself falling asleep and straightens up. Also, they get the shakes.

Mikron

Cool man, its a small world!

I encourage you to do your own research, personally I think that cannabis can be benificial to people or pets suffering from cancer.

As far as dosage, when my dogs get into edibles I can tell they have had too much when they do this thing where they start to nod/fall over head first and then catch themselves and straighten up. It looks like when a little kid is falling asleep in a car and nods off and catches himself falling asleep and straightens up. Also, they get the shakes.

Internet is that really where you source your info? Don't consult a vet then in your situation just do what you believe based on what you read on the internet... Hopefully your dog wont vomit and shake to death in the hospital...

N

nukkumatti

Just check out the sticky thread in the start medicinal forum.

Hope your pal gets better and you can win that cancer!!
My little mongrel says hi

I would recommend you apply it topically so you dont have to worry about your dog getting high/sick. Cannabis salve is great for skin problems on dogs and people to just make sure you put a shirt or E collar on your dog so it cant lick the salve.

I would never purposely feed my dog herb but my 60lb pit somehow got into the center console of my car and ate a big care package of edibles. I was worried but she handled it fine, she just flopped herself on my bed and slept for 8 hours.

Hope your pup gets better

T

ThirstyKenny

Hi scanner248, Sorry we have to meet under such sad circumstances. I know how you are feeling. I'm not gonna tell another man what he should do with his dog. I know you'll make the decision that sits rite for you. No one knows your best mate as well or loves him as much as you do.

Best of luck mate

FoCo(No.Co)

Barned
Veteran
Internet is that really where you source your info? Don't consult a vet then in your situation just do what you believe based on what you read on the internet... Hopefully your dog wont vomit and shake to death in the hospital...

How is a vet a good source for information about cannabis? Where would your vet have learned the first thing about it? Do you think they teach the chemistry of marijuana in veterinary school? I can tell you for a fact that they dont, because the shit they teach in vet school is all peer reviewed science and the federal ban on cannabis research prevents it from being studied.

Any negative information you have heard from your vet about cannabis is the product of assumption, not science.

Many doctors think that cannabis is a poisinous drug that causes physical addiction, but would you claim it was true if your doctor told you that was the case?

I agree with you on the physical effects of cannabis on dogs, I really do not believe it will kill them.

Do you think they enjoy the effects though and is it fair to dose animal that has no choice? I have seen a few dogs eat cannabis and get the shakes or start walking in a zig zag and they do not look like they are enjoying it. They have that look in their eyes like what have you done to me.