What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

China's Expansion into Indo-Pacific Region

T

Teddybrae

Banners under the ABC news (Australia) yesterday:

"US to partner with Australia and New Guinea to redevelop Manus Island Naval Base."

and:

"US Vice President Mike Pence says South China Sea does not belong to one nation."

China has begun building islands in the South China Sea where there were no islands before. They are achieving this by pumping from shoals and shallow places to build up sand islands. They put an airstrip on one and now tell other Nations to stay out of their waters. This is quite close to the Phillipines who are grumbling about the issue but can do nought. There have been "naval exercises" close by. Ships have almost collided (oo-er).

Australia is freaked out that the Chinese have loaned Papua/New Guinea millions of shekels at a reduced rate. (Smile smile We very friendly people, yes?) The freak out is because if the weather stays good it's possible to row from New Guinea to Oz in a small boat. The countries are so close.

Traditionally ... consequent to Japanese behaviour during World War Two ... Aussies have feared Asian people. How horrifying then for nationalistic Aussies to imagine that the yellow hordes are poised a rowboat journey away from invasion!

At a global level we are at the beginning of a push-back by the Allies (listen, I 'm fucking laughing as I write. It's so fucking preposterous that there even should be nations so what the fuck are 'allies'?) against Chinese Expansionism.

Stay tuned ...

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Military length airstrips make the islands seem like refueling stations for something.

Once you build an island on and from sand can you tunnel underground at all?

kickarse

Banners under the ABC news (Australia) yesterday:

"US to partner with Australia and New Guinea to redevelop Manus Island Naval Base."

and:

"US Vice President Mike Pence says South China Sea does not belong to one nation."

China has begun building islands in the South China Sea where there were no islands before. They are achieving this by pumping from shoals and shallow places to build up sand islands. They put an airstrip on one and now tell other Nations to stay out of their waters. This is quite close to the Phillipines who are grumbling about the issue but can do nought. There have been "naval exercises" close by. Ships have almost collided (oo-er).

Australia is freaked out that the Chinese have loaned Papua/New Guinea millions of shekels at a reduced rate. (Smile smile We very friendly people, yes?) The freak out is because if the weather stays good it's possible to row from New Guinea to Oz in a small boat. The countries are so close.

Traditionally ... consequent to Japanese behaviour during World War Two ... Aussies have feared Asian people. How horrifying then for nationalistic Aussies to imagine that the yellow hordes are poised a rowboat journey away from invasion!

At a global level we are at the beginning of a push-back by the Allies (listen, I 'm fucking laughing as I write. It's so fucking preposterous that there even should be nations so what the fuck are 'allies'?) against Chinese Expansionism.

Stay tuned ...

what should we have instead of Nations?
one big lefty/commie UN world government, that will be fun hey
we could all have a social credit score

read a history book teddy

White Beard

Military length airstrips make the islands seem like refueling stations for something.

Once you build an island on and from sand can you tunnel underground at all?
That was a popular tactic once...

No, you can’t really tunnel under sand so recently piled up. The pile can’t hold itself together. Much more than sand dredging and you’re into the kind of scale easily seen by satellites.

Good question.

T

Teddybrae

It looks from your Avatar that you live in a land of the Allies. So I completely understand what makes you write so abrasively.

what should we have instead of Nations?
one big lefty/commie UN world government, that will be fun hey
we could all have a social credit score

read a history book teddy

St. Phatty

I have no beef with China, as long as they're nice to Australia & the Philippines.

I would also like to see them be nicer to Cats.

Gry

What was. What is. What shall be.

Attachments

• AnnaChennault.jpg
    AnnaChennault.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 34
T

Teddybrae

The logic of your question impresses me, Mr Troutman! And I agree. Why should what the present US administration says have any effect on History at all!
Why do they call it South China Sea then? :laughing:

kickarse

The Indian ocean must belong to India then, going by the logic on here

The Poms should of named them all after England, than the English race of people would of owned them all

T

Teddybrae

That's right! The Pacific Ocean belongs to the Pacifists and the Atlantic to Atlanteans altho I hear their government has been submerged.
Ha Ha so the Timor Sea belongs to English Tea Drinkers and the Arctic to anyone who arks up.
Logical as buggery I say!

The Indian ocean must belong to India then, going by the logic on here

The Poms should of named them all after England, than the English race of people would of owned them all

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
the Chinese are and have been playing a long game, they are just about on the point where they will overtake the US as the worlds largest economy. they are working fast to become equal in military power too, on top of that their diplomatic corps works together with their top companies and banks to go into impoverished nations and offer them the kind of real help that they need, without all the strings the imf normally attaches to any help. this gets their foot in the door, as a partner nation to what ever African or Asian state it happens to be. it's a powerful strategy, because they are willing to make deals that will only pay out 20, 50 or even 100 years from now, while westerners wants profits within weeks ideally. if you ask me, if we don't do something, we will all be ruled by China in 50 years. first step is to make peace with Russia, stop doing things that drive the Russians and Chinese into each others arms. stop letting economic pirates go around looting third world countries in the name of western corporations and show these nations basic decency in business and political relations. show them respect as sovereign nations, else they will deal with China instead who won't try telling them what to do while raping their natural resources. instead they invest and take the profit, while letting the nation keep it's sovereignty. who would you want to deal with?

T

Teddybrae

I have been a student of the I Ching for some while now and have not been able to avoid learning something of Chinese culture. For them for example, the word ‘fire’ denotes an event; not an Object as in our language. So there is a complexity, perhaps a richness to their language and culture that westerners have difficulty understanding.

Australia has a large Chinese population stemming firstly from Sailors who made it to our ancient shores and mixed with the Indigenous peoples; then from a flood of gold miners who came here in the 1800’s. Another migration to Oz has been going on since the 1970’s when it became clear the Chinese were set on taking back Hong Kong. UK got lots of these too.

(When I was in Sydney for a short while I marvelled at the number of tiny Oriental women peering through the steering wheel of their gold Mercedes Benz’s as they drove through the city toward wealthy harbourside suburbs.)

I recall also seeing the Dalai Lama’s Secretary talking about the way the Chinese were super friendly and how they put up with all sorts of harassment from the Tibetans as they built a road to the Tibetan border. There was no retaliation until the road was built and the Army came and the smiles stopped.

Tibet was far away from Oz so no one here cared. But now there is Chinese influence a mere hundred K’s from our shores.

I still don’t care. Dust to dust, ashes to ashes, has been the way it goes forever. This is just another passage of History. If I was wealthy or a large land holder I ‘d worry though.

Which of course is where Mike Pence is at.

thank you Marius!

cheers All ...

the Chinese are and have been playing a long game, they are just about on the point where they will overtake the US as the worlds largest economy. they are working fast to become equal in military power too, on top of that their diplomatic corps works together with their top companies and banks to go into impoverished nations and offer them the kind of real help that they need, without all the strings the imf normally attaches to any help. this gets their foot in the door, as a partner nation to what ever African or Asian state it happens to be. it's a powerful strategy, because they are willing to make deals that will only pay out 20, 50 or even 100 years from now, while westerners wants profits within weeks ideally. if you ask me, if we don't do something, we will all be ruled by China in 50 years. first step is to make peace with Russia, stop doing things that drive the Russians and Chinese into each others arms. stop letting economic pirates go around looting third world countries in the name of western corporations and show these nations basic decency in business and political relations. show them respect as sovereign nations, else they will deal with China instead who won't try telling them what to do while raping their natural resources. instead they invest and take the profit, while letting the nation keep it's sovereignty. who would you want to deal with?

Brother Nature

The west has also hedged it's bets on China's failure, which to this point is not happening, quite the opposite as you and others have pointed out. The statement of "if we don't do something, we will all be ruled by China in 50 years" is a bit perplexing to me though. From my perspective, that doesn't seem like a bad thing. I don't mean worldwide rule either, but the way things currently are the world superpowers are war-mongering, short return, damn-all-but-profits, imperialists with their hands in every countries pockets regardless of the impact they cause. No matter how the cookie crumbles, there's always going to be a bigger fish with it's finger in your pie, I'd prefer a peaceful whale shark over an aggressive great white any day. Of course, absolute power corrupts absolutely and we couldn't possibly know what will happen if/when the powers shift, but maybe it is time for a change?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
The west has also hedged it's bets on China's failure, which to this point is not happening, quite the opposite as you and others have pointed out. The statement of "if we don't do something, we will all be ruled by China in 50 years" is a bit perplexing to me though. From my perspective, that doesn't seem like a bad thing. I don't mean worldwide rule either, but the way things currently are the world superpowers are war-mongering, short return, damn-all-but-profits, imperialists with their hands in every countries pockets regardless of the impact they cause. No matter how the cookie crumbles, there's always going to be a bigger fish with it's finger in your pie, I'd prefer a peaceful whale shark over an aggressive great white any day. Of course, absolute power corrupts absolutely and we couldn't possibly know what will happen if/when the powers shift, but maybe it is time for a change?

if you want to see what will happen to us if the Chinese rule us, just look at the millions of Uighurs they sent to concentration camps for " re education" or consider their new social behavior score system that is used to deprive you of travel and even business if you crossed the street the wrong way once too often. let alone if you smoke and oh the shame, grow weed. you won't be able to buy a plane ticket or a train ticket. so yeah, it would be a bad thing. they show that by how they treat their own people. say something bad about the gov online and they come and put you in a work camp. no thanks.

T

Teddybrae

I can't give Brother Nature more rep but on the whole my view is the same as his.

I recall a story by Ken Kesey where he visited China (during Nixon's presidency) to visit a famous Scholar. the Scholar's views were an irritant to the Communist viewpoint of the time and Kesey asked the scholar how he managed to survive when the Communists came to power.

I just dissembled ... said the Scholar.

So I 'm thinking: I could do that!