What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mass of an ass going critical

Gry

The guy was a poor choice, and they will withdraw him prior to the the testimony.
A bad investment from the inception, McConnell told the White House not to go with him ...

This one is gonna be interesting...

St. Phatty

The guy was a poor choice, and they will withdraw him prior to the the testimony.
A bad investment from the inception, McConnell told the White House not to go with him ...

This one is gonna be interesting...

I think Kavanaugh might "fall on the sword"

"to prevent his nomination from becoming a distraction"

or whatever BS reason is cited.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I'm no #tRump fan but I do see "politics" written all over this. Pretty bad when politics over shadow good governance!

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
there is a big problem with this idea of an accusation alone being worthy of punishment. this is another of those strategies that can and likely will backfire in the long run. think about it, anyone can organize a few accusers. you are supposed to err on the side of the accused, not the other way around. this makes a mockery of innocent till PROVEN guilty.

Innocent until proven guilty.

The timing of all the allegations is extremely suspicious.

The democratic party has used SCOTUS to get things passed into "law" that would never have made it through Congress and any President. Abortion for example as well as many other things. As a result, the democrats are terrified of the thought that constitutional conservatives will again have a majority on the supreme court.

The approach of Kavannah is to interpret the constitution as written.

The political ramifications of having judicial legislation prevented or overturned by the supreme court has the Left willing to destroy anyone to prevent this from happening.

I predict Kavannah will be confirmed on a party line vote next week.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Exactly........and the man is being tried already in the court of public opinion.

If such heinous crimes were not reported way back in the past, why do they suddenly jump out of the box at this particular juncture?

<its pretty darn obvious>

there are no facts, only accusations and denials. thats the whole problem.

Its guilty until proven innocent..
Always has been always will be.

And only the wealthy get off...

I just wonder what theyre hiding behind this “distraction”

DrLongbottom

Veteran
there is no presumption of innocence during a job interview.
Please try not to conflate a criminal trial where the accused is presumed innocent until proven guilty. This is not a trial it is a job interview, for one, if not the most critical positions in government
There should be no statute of limitations for some crimes.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
there is no presumption of innocence during a job interview.
Please try not to conflate a criminal trial where the accused is presumed innocent until proven guilty. This is not a trial it is a job interview, for one, if not the most critical positions in government
There should be no statute of limitations for some crimes.

fair enough, but shouldn't there at least be a police report for it to be taken seriously? from what i read there are no statue of limitations for rape or attempted rape where it happened, this lady need to file a report on the incident with the police. otherwise this looks like political games.

Gry

there are no facts, only accusations and denials. thats the whole problem.

Actually there are facts, and no shortage of them.
There is an organization which traditionally looks into such things, the FBI. They are very competent at such things, and they do it quickly.
How many 'accusers' do you know of that would invite the FBI to look into
something with the understanding that they can get 5 years for a false claim?
Each of the women has asked that the FBI be brought in.
The old boys network has repeatedly refused to allow the
FBI to play their normal role in such hearings, as has happened
in previous nominee hearings.

St. Phatty

I was thinking, Clarence Thomas, but that was another GOP pick.

Has this technique ever been used on a not-so-Supreme court pick by a Dem president ?

The Dems kind of - just a little bit - hamstrung themselves with the way they handled the murder of Ted Kennedy's woman passenger, that drowned.

I think they should all be forced to watch a documentary on the Mary Jo Kopechne incident, i.e. Chappaquiddick.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Watching it live, I am finding the testimony from Ford very credible

Just one more case of him getting the "very best people".

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
There is an organization which traditionally looks into such things, the FBI. They are very competent at such things, and they do it quickly.

isn't this a matter for the police though?
also how did the fbi do 6 back ground checks on him without this ever coming out. the timing seems a bit convenient, but who knows. some people will make false statements even under penalty of prison. i also find it strange that non of this was brought up at his questioning and only came up in time to derail the nomination process. i will definitely watch what she has to say. anyone got a link?

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
After hearing Fords testimony they will be compelled to hear from the other two women.

Not only will they drop the nomination, but Kavanaugh will loose his judgeship in DC over this.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
fair enough, but shouldn't there at least be a police report for it to be taken seriously? from what i read there are no statue of limitations for rape or attempted rape where it happened, this lady need to file a report on the incident with the police. otherwise this looks like political games.

many (reports suggest between 60 to 90%) sexual assaults are never reported for various reasons. too often, the victims who come forward end up being under a microscope instead of the accused. only in sex cases is this true. i can just imagine a defense attorney in an armed robbery trial "now, is it not true that the "victim" was dressed as if he was carrying cash? and he drove a Porsche, correct?" LOL! too many male prosecutors/lawyers/judges poo-poo accusations saying "boys will be boys" or "look how she was dressed? what did she expect?" the passage of time is no excuse to not do the right thing. there are too many "good ol' boy" institutions holding way too much power now as it is. i guess it is expecting too much these days to hope for a middle of the roader instead of an apologist & cheerleader to be nominated to fucking ANYTHING...

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

The only facts that I am aware of are that Ford appears to believe her story and ALL of the people whom she has cited as being witnesses say that she is mistaken.

I don't think that the same penalty applies to asking for an investigation as it does for lying to the FBI during a criminal investigation. And Papadopolous got 2 weeks...

The FBI has already performed their "normal role" for this hearing, and have done so 5 times in the past for the same candidate.

Latest posts

Latest posts