What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hydroton - Do you need to drip 24/7 ?

Hi guys,

thinking about hydroton here - is it a necessity to drip all the time?

the idea would be NOT to recycle the nutrients, draining to waste the rather absolutely minimum runoff.

rather than dripping 24/7 figuring out the time it needs till runoff, pause for an hour or whatever interval, repeat.

would this also saturate all the hydroballs by their wicking effect?

its all small 1gallon pots.

would this lead to issues or can it be run this way? it appears much more efficient to me and would cut out tons of the problems
i read about concerning ph swinging etc.

RockinRobot

If you want to run Drain to Waste I would go with coco or perlite over Hydroton. You will have way more waste trying to get all the hydroton soaked and will have to feed way more often. IMHO you are better off with 24/7 drip in recirc with Hydroton.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
wilma hydroton topfeed 24/7 constant

picture.php

wilma hydroton topfeed 24/7 constant

View Image

the wilma systems are very popular around here and i have seen a lot of them in the stores,
never in action though.

i have understood by now that it would probably lead to a big salt buildup if i left the hydroton to dryup nearly like i thought of in the beginning,

si i would please like to ask if you would share some details of your operation whipedmeat.

like what nutes you run and how you keep the ph in check which seems to be the biggest downside with hydroton from what i understand.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
r.o. filter, m,echanical water filter in the tank,

ferticare II, ferticare IV, phosphoricacid, MgSO4, CaN3

ghe floranova bloom
ghe mineral magic
ghe tripack soft water micro, +grow +bloom

hesi roots
superthrive
wuxal super

i have these nutes and additives around the wilma

and use ph.indicator drops to check ph once a day.

biggest downside is the cleaning before reuse, need to find out some tricks to clean it

r.o. filter, m,echanical water filter in the tank,

ferticare II, ferticare IV, phosphoricacid, MgSO4, CaN3

ghe floranova bloom
ghe mineral magic
ghe tripack soft water micro, +grow +bloom

hesi roots
superthrive
wuxal super

i have these nutes and additives around the wilma

and use ph.indicator drops to check ph once a day.

biggest downside is the cleaning before reuse, need to find out some tricks to clean it

thank you for this in depth reply, so you dont get too big ph swings?

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
5.2 to 6.2 is the swing intervall for this,
keep mostly around 5.5

i forgot diamond nectar, and humic / fulvic additives sorry

here is a picture with autoflowers after few weeks in it, with ultrasonic humidifier, it is a must when you are into hydro, you need to keep a relative humidity level in the higher region.
picture.php

RockinRobot

Ph swings are actually good . I don't run drip but I do flood and drain in hydroton and as Whiped has said 5.5 to 6.2 is perfect range. When it goes up to 6.2 just adjust back down to 5.5.

As for salt build up. Do a fresh water flush half way through flower.

RockinRobot

RockenRobot - How many times to you flood a day?

I flood 3 times a day during lights on. Pump runs 10 minutes then another 3-5 min to drain. No floods during dark period.

These gals are growing into the lights. Vegged a bit too long I think. They have another 5 weeks to go.

picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts