What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Will this mix work?

Im'One

i been trying learn all i can about organic soil.

I had made soil using foxfarm happy frog, ocean forest, peat and perlite in equal parts. I used it indoors with pretty good results. After using it took it outside and left in the rain and sun in barrels with drainage.

I began putting three month or longer aged horse manure in a barrel with holes and an aeration pipe, then added red wigglers. I turned the mix every month

After three months i checked and the manure had broken down. It looked like ewc from the store.

I then made my mix using coffee cans that hold about .8 square ft.

Heres my mix, keep in mind im in rural oklahoma and cannot get the esoteric ingredients.

So please hold off on too much of that??

Total footage about 4 cubic foot soil mix

Made from....

24 part used soil

16 part ewc

8 part peat moss

8 part biochar

8 parts perlite

Added amendments

2 cups alfalfa meal

2 cups blood meal

2 cups bone meal

2 cups kelp meal

2 cups oyster shell

2 cups diatomaceous earth

2 cups ag lime

2 cups azomite

Do i need epsom salts?

I typically have been using my well water which is hard and about , 6.8 ph and 330ppm

Will that work or do i need to use rain or get a filter?

For my precious grows i have used mega crop in my well water and alternate with a calmag made from well water and one teaspoon epsom every fourth feeding. Towards the end of bloom i give some big bloom.

KIS

Depends on what was in the used soil and hard to know if that is a lot of amendments or a little without knowing how much total volume of soil you have.

My "guess" is you would want a bit more aeration, depending on the particle size of your biochar. I would not add any epsom salt without a soil test, most mixes have sufficient Mg without needing to add it.

If you can get the pH of your soil that would give you an idea of if you had too much Ca (that would be my guess if it's alkaline based on your inputs)

Grapefruitroop

I agree about more areation..
I personally dont see any reason to go over 10% of EWC, even if many peeps do it...
Also if the used soil has already peat i would add instead buffered coco...more oxigen retention...

As far as nutrients for outdoor plants ive never gone more than a quarter cup x cubic foot...you can always add later...teas, topdressing, etc...
I used with great success the high brix balanced mix called Agricola 8-4-8...from soilminerals.com has all the best and fancy stuff, its well balanced, slow relase all in one...
https://soilminerals.com/Agricolas4-8-4_MainPage.htm
:tiphat: