What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

If you were elected President...

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Since we have people here representing both sides here, what would you do to change the course of what we are facing, both economically and pandemic wise?

You are handed the "Keys to the Kingdom". How do you steer this massive ship?

Please give some solid reasoning to your ideas as well instead of just bullet points. I'm curious to see what your entire idea is.

For me-

1. $2000 a month Universal Basic Income per person over 17. Minor children's parents would receive $1000 for the first, $500 for the second, and I could see scaling down from there. Once your income exceeds $75-100,000, ramp it down. No earner over $100,000 a year would receive UBI.

Reason - If you want less losers in your country, help people not be losers. Yes, there would be folks out there happy to have the bare minimum. And UBI would provide for shelter, food, utilities, and maybe a few luxury items if those people chose to save up. But that is all they would receive. If you chose to work, you could afford a nice house with a 2 car garage. You could afford to have the wife stay home and raise your kids if she chose to do so. What a UBI provides is something so American everybody should be screaming for it - Freedom. Freedom to know that if you start a small business you can keep the roof over your head and food in your children's stomachs. Freedom to know that if your business fails for whatever reason (like a pandemic), we as a nation have your back. Freedom to take chances and pursue your happiness. How many of us here have had a soul sucking job in their working career? How many haven't? What could more freeing than not having to work those kinds of jobs?

Speaking of - what about those jobs that need those low wage earners? Those workers will always be there. There will still be those that would be happy working behind a bar, or stocking shelves, or working at Best Buy. Hell, I'd love nothing more than to be a simple budtender somewhere. That would be fucking amazing to me. But I could never afford to. With a UBI, we could keep the minimum wage at $7-10 bucks an hour. And folks could live a decent life with that.

Who pays for it?- No more corporate tax loop holes. No more multi-millionaire tax breaks. No more off shore holdings. Slash the Pentagon's budget 25% by reducing our footprint around the world. You know who doesn't pay for it? The bottom 85% of American earners.

2. Medicare for all - Not just 97% there Uncle Joe. ALL! Again, this is all about freedom. Freedom to not have to worry about putting food on your table and a roof over your head so you can buy your insulin. Freedom to know that if you want to start a small business your children will have healthcare. On a personal note, I know my medical costs have skyrocketed since Obamacare was enacted. I've had bills go to collections because I couldn't pay them with what I was earning. I had to have a hip replaced 3 years ago that I'm still paying for. Not do anything within my control, but because of bad genes. If I had gotten cancer, I would have been screwed beyond belief. It is insane that in this day and age America is the only country that doesn't have universal healthcare and a for profit health system.

Who pays? The aforementioned corporate taxes and slashing of the Pentagon's budget. We need to stop feeding the industrial military complex.

3. Getting America back to work - compulsory masks for everybody. Masks get you 90% protection. Social distancing gets you another 90%. Together, that's 180% effectiveness! OK, not really. But it does get you 99%. And that's as good as you can hope for if you want to get the economy going again. Right now, experts are saying that 50% of small businesses are not going to come back from where we are now pandemic wise. Let's not increase that number by needing to shut back down. WEAR A MASK!

3a - Take 10% of the 25% cut from the Pentagon's budget and invest in America's infrastructure. 2020's New Deal. No it isn't sexy. No, there is no short term return on investment. This is the long play move. Our current infrastructure is falling apart. Our power grid is woefully inadequate for our needs. We have dams and bridges that are in serious disrepair and need to be fixed. We have 30-40 million American's unemployed right now. Let's get them back to work!

4. The current 800 pound gorilla in the room - systemic racism. I'll break this up into 2 parts.

4a - Police reform - Invest heavily in the police. (Fun fact - I used to interact with cops on a daily basis high as balls.) Most of them are woefully under trained to deal with what they need to deal with. I really like Jocko Willink's take on it - Navy SEALS spend 20% of their time training. We should be doing the same for the police. Not only force on force as in the SEALS, but de escalation techniques. Also, reduce their workload so they only have to deal with the bad guys. Have more Community type officers and train them up to do the mundane tasks of accident reporting. Hire more social type workers to handle the psych cases and domestic disputes. The police are so overwhelmed with stupid things that they were never trained on how to deal with, so their response is always to escalate so it ends in violence. If you want to wear a badge, it takes a 4 year degree and another year of training to earn that badge. And your training never stops.

4b - Invest in communities we have "left to the wolves". I really think a lot of the issues we have with neighborhoods falling into disrepair would be solved with not only a UBI, but investing in traditionally marginalized communities of all colors. I've driven through the dirty south. I can tell you ghettos know no color. White folks just call them trailer parks to make themselves feel better I guess. Any place that is the result of any kind of shift in manufacturing. I'm looking at you Detroit, Northern Indiana, coal mine country, South Chicago, Oakland, East LA, etc. All of these places and more need to be invested in to raise them up. "A rising ocean lifts all boats" or some such inspirational slogan. This could easily be rolled into my 2020 New Deal package. The same with Police Reform.

There is more, but this is a good platform to launch from.

So, do I have your vote? :yay:

X

xavier7995

I would like to see a lot of investment and emphasis on education, but yep, your list looks good.

UBI is really interesting, but I have been pondering how it could work in our current economic system. How do you prevent prices from rising to soak up that extra cash. If everyone has extra cash, how do you prevent a landlord from raising rents. Markets pay what they can bear, its the purchasing power that matters. The only way i see to do that is keep the monetary supply the same but...redistribute the wealth muahaha. Capital flows up, a chunk of it needs to get back down to the bottom so it can work its way up again. The base of the capitalist pyramid is weak as we no longer have the capital to buy shit and keep it afloat as the resources have all been accumulated up top.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would like to see a lot of investment and emphasis on education, but yep, your list looks good.

UBI is really interesting, but I have been pondering how it could work in our current economic system. How do you prevent prices from rising to soak up that extra cash. If everyone has extra cash, how do you prevent a landlord from raising rents. Markets pay what they can bear, its the purchasing power that matters. The only way i see to do that is keep the monetary supply the same but...redistribute the wealth muahaha. Capital flows up, a chunk of it needs to get back down to the bottom so it can work its way up again. The base of the capitalist pyramid is weak as we no longer have the capital to buy shit and keep it afloat as the resources have all been accumulated up top.
Right now, our entire economic foundation is built on sand.

There should be no reason for the costs of goods and services to increase when we are not adding any extra tax onto the supply chain issue. All of that money comes from the top. Not from the farmer's pockets who hires immigrant workers to tend and pick his crops. Not the small garage shop owner who can hire mechanics at a competitive wage now that he doesn't need to provide health insurance and by extension, doesn't have to pay above market price for good mechanics.

Nobody in the bottom 80% of America would pay for the UBI. Every penny of it would come from closing tax loopholes for the top 10% of earners, closing of corporate tax loopholes, and cut the Pentagon's budget from 750 billion a year to 500 billion dollars a year. Which by the way would still put us way ahead of every other country's military budget by a factor of ~ 7 times.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- Great Post - GOT_BUD - I'd vote for you - (and I have never voted before) -

*one thing I would add is to educated all people - from 4 years old to 100 years old - about all humanity being just one race - THE HUMAN RACE -

picture.php

Since we have people here representing both sides here, what would you do to change the course of what we are facing, both economically and pandemic wise?

You are handed the "Keys to the Kingdom". How do you steer this massive ship?

Please give some solid reasoning to your ideas as well instead of just bullet points. I'm curious to see what your entire idea is.

For me-

1. $2000 a month Universal Basic Income per person over 17. Minor children's parents would receive $1000 for the first, $500 for the second, and I could see scaling down from there. Once your income exceeds $75-100,000, ramp it down. No earner over $100,000 a year would receive UBI.

Reason - If you want less losers in your country, help people not be losers. Yes, there would be folks out there happy to have the bare minimum. And UBI would provide for shelter, food, utilities, and maybe a few luxury items if those people chose to save up. But that is all they would receive. If you chose to work, you could afford a nice house with a 2 car garage. You could afford to have the wife stay home and raise your kids if she chose to do so. What a UBI provides is something so American everybody should be screaming for it - Freedom. Freedom to know that if you start a small business you can keep the roof over your head and food in your children's stomachs. Freedom to know that if your business fails for whatever reason (like a pandemic), we as a nation have your back. Freedom to take chances and pursue your happiness. How many of us here have had a soul sucking job in their working career? How many haven't? What could more freeing than not having to work those kinds of jobs?

Speaking of - what about those jobs that need those low wage earners? Those workers will always be there. There will still be those that would be happy working behind a bar, or stocking shelves, or working at Best Buy. Hell, I'd love nothing more than to be a simple budtender somewhere. That would be fucking amazing to me. But I could never afford to. With a UBI, we could keep the minimum wage at $7-10 bucks an hour. And folks could live a decent life with that.

Who pays for it?- No more corporate tax loop holes. No more multi-millionaire tax breaks. No more off shore holdings. Slash the Pentagon's budget 25% by reducing our footprint around the world. You know who doesn't pay for it? The bottom 85% of American earners.

2. Medicare for all - Not just 97% there Uncle Joe. ALL! Again, this is all about freedom. Freedom to not have to worry about putting food on your table and a roof over your head so you can buy your insulin. Freedom to know that if you want to start a small business your children will have healthcare. On a personal note, I know my medical costs have skyrocketed since Obamacare was enacted. I've had bills go to collections because I couldn't pay them with what I was earning. I had to have a hip replaced 3 years ago that I'm still paying for. Not do anything within my control, but because of bad genes. If I had gotten cancer, I would have been screwed beyond belief. It is insane that in this day and age America is the only country that doesn't have universal healthcare and a for profit health system.

Who pays? The aforementioned corporate taxes and slashing of the Pentagon's budget. We need to stop feeding the industrial military complex.

3. Getting America back to work - compulsory masks for everybody. Masks get you 90% protection. Social distancing gets you another 90%. Together, that's 180% effectiveness! OK, not really. But it does get you 99%. And that's as good as you can hope for if you want to get the economy going again. Right now, experts are saying that 50% of small businesses are not going to come back from where we are now pandemic wise. Let's not increase that number by needing to shut back down. WEAR A MASK!

3a - Take 10% of the 25% cut from the Pentagon's budget and invest in America's infrastructure. 2020's New Deal. No it isn't sexy. No, there is no short term return on investment. This is the long play move. Our current infrastructure is falling apart. Our power grid is woefully inadequate for our needs. We have dams and bridges that are in serious disrepair and need to be fixed. We have 30-40 million American's unemployed right now. Let's get them back to work!

4. The current 800 pound gorilla in the room - systemic racism. I'll break this up into 2 parts.

4a - Police reform - Invest heavily in the police. (Fun fact - I used to interact with cops on a daily basis high as balls.) Most of them are woefully under trained to deal with what they need to deal with. I really like Jocko Willink's take on it - Navy SEALS spend 20% of their time training. We should be doing the same for the police. Not only force on force as in the SEALS, but de escalation techniques. Also, reduce their workload so they only have to deal with the bad guys. Have more Community type officers and train them up to do the mundane tasks of accident reporting. Hire more social type workers to handle the psych cases and domestic disputes. The police are so overwhelmed with stupid things that they were never trained on how to deal with, so their response is always to escalate so it ends in violence. If you want to wear a badge, it takes a 4 year degree and another year of training to earn that badge. And your training never stops.

4b - Invest in communities we have "left to the wolves". I really think a lot of the issues we have with neighborhoods falling into disrepair would be solved with not only a UBI, but investing in traditionally marginalized communities of all colors. I've driven through the dirty south. I can tell you ghettos know no color. White folks just call them trailer parks to make themselves feel better I guess. Any place that is the result of any kind of shift in manufacturing. I'm looking at you Detroit, Northern Indiana, coal mine country, South Chicago, Oakland, East LA, etc. All of these places and more need to be invested in to raise them up. "A rising ocean lifts all boats" or some such inspirational slogan. This could easily be rolled into my 2020 New Deal package. The same with Police Reform.

There is more, but this is a good platform to launch from.

So, do I have your vote? :yay:

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Continuing on with my platform - A lot of problems we see today can be solved simply by applying a UBI and Medicare for all. Socio economic disadvantaged areas would see a massive reduction in crime because you wouldn't have folks out there selling drugs to earn some cash so they can feed their kids. You wouldn't have women prostituting themselves out so they can keep a roof over their child's head. You wouldn't have people out there brewing moonshine... Ok Yeah you would still have people brewing moonshine. Mainly because it's awesome.

My point is most people don't want to be criminals. Most people want to be happy and not struggle day to day. By relieving the pressure of absolutely having to work due to fear of medical expenses or losing their jobs, we allow people to simply feel better by not being constantly afraid. Which would also affect domestic violence drastically. #1 things couples fight about? Money. How many times have you got into an argument with a significant other because of money? 90% of the time it boils down to money.

By providing UBI and medicare to everyone in America (not just 97% JOE!) you also address yet another 800 pound gorilla - gun violence. Crime goes down, gun violence will plummet. Remove people's motivation to commit crime, and the crime goes away. Medicare also addresses another nasty side effect of gun violence - mass shooters. I think we can agree that people who commit these horrific crimes are probably not well in the head.

By expanding medicare to everybody, we open up the healthcare system to more mental health professionals and we can start to reduce and hopefully eliminate the stigma surrounding mental health. By extension of that, people who need help, like some of the people who commit mass murder, will get the help they before they get to the point of being a danger to others. And let's not forget about another very large number that is attributed to guns - suicide. By providing a UBI, how many suicides would we prevent because people now have a way to provide when their world falls to shit because of factors beyond their control (pandemic anyone?) or even through bad luck or even just bad decisions? And with expanded mental health thanks to medicare for all, those who aren't in financial ruin but still see no reason to live can have people to help talk them down from doing something drastic.

So by providing a UBI and medicare for all, I feel confident I can eliminate if not 75%, at least half of all gun violence, not just gun deaths. And I wouldn't have to sign one law against the second amendment.

Thank you for your support.

CaptainDankness

$2000 is too much, maybe $1,000 and access to free housing. There must be some incentive to get a job, $2,000 a month is enough for most not to want to work.

St. Phatty

Right now, our entire economic foundation is built on sand.

if building on sand was a problem, Florida wouldn't exist.

you mean, quicksand ?

building on un-compacted landfill is a problem during an earthquake.

in any case, America's economy has recently been shown to be VERY fragile. regardless of metaphor.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
$2000 is too much, maybe $1,000 and access to free housing. There must be some incentive to get a job, $2,000 a month is enough for most not to want to work.
It isn't if you live in Los Angeles or New York City or Seattle or any other major city across America. That will barely cover rent.

If you live in the middle of country, yes it will go farther. In major cities it will go much less further and some could argue it isn't enough.

Yes, people could survive on it. That's the whole point. But if you want to do more than just survive, you'll go get a job. If you want to achieve a luxurious lifestyle, you'll need to work harder or smarter.

What would be your dream job? Absolutely pie in the sky, once in a lifetime opportunity? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to have the freedom to chase that dream while having the security of knowing if you fail you won't be destitute? Knowing that your children will still be able to have a roof over their head and food in their bellies every day? To know that if you get sick or god forbid one your children gets sick, you won't lose everything you own trying to save them?

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would simply do what David Peel said he would do back in the 60s'

Horselover Fat

Veteran
I'm certain UBI will have to be implemented worldwide at some point in the not too distant future. Otherwise there will be chaos like never before as accelerating automation removes jobs from existance.

packerfan79

Veteran
I guess I will play along. Just off the top of my head.

1. Federal mandate school choice, local and federal funding follow the student.

2. Fully legalize our favorite plant. It should be no different than any other plant. For gods sakes they plant deadly oleander plants at every damn school in my area, but I can't grow a pot plant in my front yard.

3. Outlaw federal bailouts.

4. Term limits on congress, and senate.

5. 20 % flat tax starting at 50 k, on every American, and corporation, with no deductions, or loopholes. Eliminate the vast majority of the IRS bureaucracy.

6. Constitutional amendment requiring the feds to have a balanced budget, no pay if they don't.

7. End lifetime pay for congress.

8. Mandatory 20 year sentence from government (especially law enforcement) corruption.

9. End federal subsidize foreign or domestic, especially foreign.

10. Federal testing, and training mandate for all law enforcement.

11.End the world police, foreign policy. Stop subsidizing the world's defense.

12. Random government employee accountability inspections.

13. No federally guaranteed student loans for colleges that use race as an admission standard. No loans for colleges that have a low post graduate employment, in said field. In other words accountability.

Theirs a few, ultimately the states have more ability to improve your life. The best thing the feds can do is stay out of the way

Oh Yeah, no more borrowing money from China, period full stop.

I’d legalize and regulate all drugs to get rid of the massive amounts of corruption on all sides of the Drug War.

Defund the Police: no more extra funding for new equipment unless needed. They are already practically their own Military/Gang - especially the corrupt Cops.

Also, their needs to be more training for Cops. My friend actually tried becoming one and he was told that he was “Too Smart”! We really need Cops with critical thinking skills because it’s obvious that most of them don’t have any. They lie all of the time on the stand and get away with it so I would also form a Third Party Police to monitor the Cops since they are refusing to police their own.

I’d also stop exporting so much Raw Materials to China and bring even more Jobs back.

I’m not quite sure why Russia has gotten such bad Propaganda when it’s actually China that practically owns the USA.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I’d legalize and regulate all drugs to get rid of the massive amounts of corruption on all sides of the Drug War.

Defund the Police: no more extra funding for new equipment unless needed. They are already practically their own Military/Gang - especially the corrupt Cops.

Also, their needs to be more training for Cops. My friend actually tried becoming one and he was told that he was “Too Smart”! We really need Cops with critical thinking skills because it’s obvious that most of them don’t have any. They lie all of the time on the stand and get away with it so I would also form a Third Party Police to monitor the Cops since they are refusing to police their own.

yes, they do not need armored cars etc. the body armor just convinces folks they are preparing to attack. not intimidating, although that is prob what they are reaching for. prob pretty damn uncomfortable in that shit this summer, huh? :biglaugh: they don't WANT smart cops, just as prosecutors do not want intelligent people on juries. what they fucking WANT is low-to-no info folks that do as they are told, do not read, are uneducated (like chump wants voters to be) and believe what the Man tells them to believe. cops & the judiciary badly need an ugly divorce, it is too damn obvious that, given wildly diverging testimony, judges are going to believe the cops, even when common sense tells them the courtroom is ass deep in rats.

Cannavore

Veteran
raise taxes on the oligarchs and tax avoiders

abolish the cia and the nsa

audit the pentagon and the fed reseerve

abolish private schools and charter schools

tax all religion

legalize all drugs

defund the police

medicare for all

infrastructure overhaul

repeal citizens united and move to publicly funded elections

tuition free public college

term limits for congress

abolish private prisons

ranked choice voting

end the duopoly - we need at least 4 political parties

break up the banks

break up too big to fail corporations

stop subsidizing fossil fuels and most fortune 500 corporate subsidies

green new deal

end homelessness

universal high speed internet

high speed rail system

give puerto rico statehood or their independence

re-enact glass-steagall

financial transaction tax on wall street

re-do the iran deal

repeal the patriot act and all domestic spying

abolish 401k's and go back to pensions

try American war criminals at the Hague (including past Presidents)

would be a nice start

St. Phatty

reduce funding of 3 letter agencies by 50%.

reduce military funding by 50% or more.

claw back all profits from financial frauds, going back to 1980 or earlier.

that would include Zuckerberg & Facebook.

use the extra $$ to reduce the deficit.

give Every American Citizen -1- share in Amazon, 2 shares in Apple, etc.

+ invite world leaders to the White House for a bong-hit.

+ give people $1000 each for AR15's in a gun buy-back.

actually it's a hand-out for people that never get hand-outs.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
raise taxes on the oligarchs and tax avoiders

abolish the cia and the nsa

audit the pentagon and the fed

abolish private schools and charter schools

tax all religion

legalize all drugs

defund the police

medicare for all

infrastructure overhaul

repeal citizens united and move to publicly funded elections