What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PURE THC for three bucks a gram? By D Gold

G.O. Joe

Veteran
That's unfortunate, there could have been productive discussion if anyone wanted some on issues like what the expected side products of CBD crystal with various reagents in the expected solvents might be, their toxicity, removal, or something. Or how this could, if popular, affect the CBD market and law. Or what happens when the different options are treated with other cannabinoids, non-cannabinoids, substituted or less than perfectly pure solvents.

BillFarthing

Veteran
That's unfortunate, there could have been productive discussion if anyone wanted some on issues like what the expected side products of CBD crystal with various reagents in the expected solvents might be, their toxicity, removal, or something. Or how this could, if popular, affect the CBD market and law. Or what happens when the different options are treated with other cannabinoids, non-cannabinoids, substituted or less than perfectly pure solvents.

Some folks just don't like terse, curt or verbose.

What do you say about he first intermediate between CBD and D9 being 9A-OH-HHC and then the one between D9 and D8 would be 8-OH-iso-HHC? Thus, these are hexahydrocannabinols, and not tetrahydrocannabinols

Also, I saw this link this somewhere else:

https://cbdisomerization.wikidot.com

Badfishy1

GW nice to see you back. On another forum the discussion always becomes the ‘unknown’ component of final product. Any insight as to what the remainder is?

clearheaded

grrr was hoping this wouldnt become a thing. please dont burn yourself refluxing, if this becomes a thing gov will be tightening up cbd...

you wouldnt be getting fullspectrum PS just whole lot of gross goo acid doesnt just target cbd. not sure it produces much delta 9.

when states legalize wont have to worry as can produce field grown high thc var and distile isolate to your hearts content.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GW nice to see you back. On another forum the discussion always becomes the ‘unknown’ component of final product. Any insight as to what the remainder is?

The unknown is always a good way to express concern and hard to counter.

It has been around a decade since we ran our single isomerization experiment, but we saw nothing on the GC strange or of concern.

Because we used relative low CBD content starting material, the results weren't all that impressive, so we moved on to THC-O-A.

Starting with CBD isolate would be a whole different ball game and one that we touched on recently in an experiment to see if CBD could be acetalized with sulfuric acid and Acetic Anhydride. What I ended up with was mostly THC and CBN.

Badfishy1

The unknown is always a good way to express concern and hard to counter.

It has been around a decade since we ran our single isomerization experiment, but we saw nothing on the GC strange or of concern.

Because we used relative low CBD content starting material, the results weren't all that impressive, so we moved on to THC-O-A.

Starting with CBD isolate would be a whole different ball game and one that we touched on recently in an experiment to see if CBD could be acetalized with sulfuric acid and Acetic Anhydride. What I ended up with was mostly THC and CBN.

Appreciate the response. Hope I didn’t come off as concerned Karen. Definitely wasn’t my intent. Plenty of people smoke bootlegged extracts with no idea what they are smoking anyhow. Was just curious what your thoughts about what the ‘unknown’ could be. In full disclosure, I do understand the ‘concern’ from the medical community about the unknowns. Just makes me laugh when blackmarket hustlers want to bang on ‘ethics’

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Some folks just don't like terse, curt or verbose.

What do you say about he first intermediate between CBD and D9 being 9A-OH-HHC and then the one between D9 and D8 would be 8-OH-iso-HHC? Thus, these are hexahydrocannabinols, and not tetrahydrocannabinols

I've been called many things, but verbose would be a first. OH at the 8 position of THC and at the same place on CBD is possible, maintaining the double bond. Addition at the 9 position most likely happens with alcoholic and perhaps somewhat aqueous acids as an undesired side reaction that need not happen. Not unlike other acid-catalyzed terpene rearrangements. Tosic acid will kick off that OH or alkoxy - converting it to d8 - but I'm not sure this indicates a tosic intermediate in the tosic process. With the other acids, I suspect that additions to the double bond are likely if isomerized wrong, but do not occur when done right.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
If chinese CBD is available @$3/ gr, the first thing I would do is mix up some of GW's hand creme. I want some of those crystals for just that.

As far as consumption, the CBD isolate I get from Medterra is $40/1000mg - and that is on their 30% sale. But I can trust it (I think) to swallow, at least successfully so far.

Is this synthetic THC ready to eat, or does it need the decarb step? Will it convert to whatever-11 the same as the real stuff, in the liver?

G.O. Joe

Veteran
It's not clear that d8 is better than CBD for anything except getting high. Is it ready? There should be someone somewhere at least doing TLC. This is best done while it's being made. The course of the reaction is followed with the Beam test and then with TLC. The goal is one spot or maybe two if they're both THC. That would be ready. Unexplained spots would not be so ready. TLC comparison of the OP procedures is strongly advised, and if I was only going to do one it would be acid-washed heptane and a very small amount of good acid.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If chinese CBD is available @$3/ gr, the first thing I would do is mix up some of GW's hand creme. I want some of those crystals for just that.

As far as consumption, the CBD isolate I get from Medterra is $40/1000mg - and that is on their 30% sale. But I can trust it (I think) to swallow, at least successfully so far.

Is this synthetic THC ready to eat, or does it need the decarb step? Will it convert to whatever-11 the same as the real stuff, in the liver?

I've been getting my CBD from local sources and no insight on the Chinese offerings, other than to be wary of them. My last batch cost me $10gm, but I could have gotten it for less if I had bought kilograms, versus 150 grams.

The THC produced is decarbed.

No information suggesting it isn't "real" THC.

dybert

We buy american grown CBD way cheaper than $3/gram...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Yeah, I would love to source some good CBD crystals, but it would only be for exterior use if it's chinese. Where?

Big M

G.O. Joe, I stopped back into this thread to apologize for my immature behavior, and for disrespecting you. I'm sorry for acting childish towards you. You obviously know what you are talking about, and I would love to listen to your thoughts on the subject.

I'm sorry to Gray Wolf and everyone else for harshing the vibe of the thread. I should feel humbled to be a part of this conversation, and after a good bit of self reflection on the matter, I do feel humbled to be here. I will act mature and polite from here on out.

I'm also guilty of being a hypocrite, as I have consumed a fair amount of 87% delta 8 distillate without any reservation. I guess I was just repeating what others were going on about safety related to unknowns on a different forum, as Badfishy1 mentioned. In reality, I know next to nothing about chemistry, and will never attempt any isomerizations myself. I'm just here to learn, because I find this all fascinating.

MindEater

We buy american grown CBD way cheaper than $3/gram...

Comes with free fungicides, no extra charge.

Can you inbred placebo dipshits seriously not tell what you're ingesting? CBD isna fucking HOAX. Cbd sprayed with a dozen fungicides is not worth a God damn thing!

G.O. Joe

Veteran
I'm sorry to Gray Wolf and everyone else for harshing the vibe of the thread.

It's OK I piss off everyone all the time, and some rain should fall on this parade. d8-THC has been fed to people and animals since 1940, so obvious issues with the pure substance would have been noticed by now. Maybe the metabolites with unnatural double bond location are better for you than the natural for some reason. But there's no way alcohols can be recommended as solvent without proof they don't make a mess. Any unexplained deaths of self-experimenting THC chemists in the last few years?

Gry

It's OK I piss off everyone all the time, and some rain should fall on this parade. d8-THC has been fed to people and animals since 1940, so obvious issues with the pure substance would have been noticed by now. Maybe the metabolites with unnatural double bond location are better for you than the natural for some reason. But there's no way alcohols can be recommended as solvent without proof they don't make a mess. Any unexplained deaths of self-experimenting THC chemists in the last few years?
Was very intrigued and involved with this chemistry in the mid 70s. In the same time frame I was mixing up apx 400 gallons of epoxy 3 times a week for a friend. Lost a kidney to cancer in 2000. I worked with dated protocols that would not be appropriate today.
I admire Joe in urging caution and take my hat off to the reformed attitude of our newer participant.

Latest posts

Latest posts