What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NPK of Cannabis ash?

Rico Swazi

Found this-

The complete plant has the following composition: C (38.94%), H (6.06%), N (1.74%), O (48.72%),ashes (4.54%). The stalks contain: C (56.80%), H (6.48%), N (0.43%), O (34.52%), ashes (1.77%). Theleaves contain: C (40.50%), H (5.98%), N (1.82%), O (29.7%), ashes (22%).

The ashes of the hemp plant contain
: KOH (7.48%), NaCO 3(0.72%), CaO (42.05%), MgO (4.88%), Al2O3(0.37%), SiO2(6.75%), H3PO4(3.22%), H2SO4(1.10%),Cl (1.53%), CO2(31.90%)

The ashes of the seeds contain: KOH (20.81%), NaCO3(0.64%), CaO (25.57%), MgO (0.96%), FeO2(0.74%), H3PO4(35.52%),CaSO
4(0.18%), NaCl (0.09%), H2SiO3(13.48%), C (6.19%)

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Same paper, just different link. I tried my link. It works for me. Did you remember to remove the "s" from "https"?

PDX Dopesmoker

If you have enough buds to burn to feed your plants with I think you better stop now. :biggrin:

I wonder if anyone has figured the costs of starting a large hemp farm strictly for the purpose of burning the hemp to sell the ash back to pot growers. They'd probably have to charge a pretty large amount per pound, but pot growers have show willingness to pay large sums for soil amendments in he past.

Rico Swazi

yes much of the same info but same paper?

I couldn't get your link to work (no s) so I went looking for another using the info you gave

Thanks CannaRed, excellent info

Rico Swazi

I wonder if anyone has figured the costs of starting a large hemp farm strictly for the purpose of burning the hemp to sell the ash back to pot growers. They'd probably have to charge a pretty large amount per pound, but pot growers have show willingness to pay large sums for soil amendments in he past.

perhaps burning is not the answer-

"Fermentation can help turn hemp boon [hurds] into a suitable product for soil fertilization. During fermentation the boon reaches almost the same level of assimilable N, K, Mn and Cu as in barnyard manure..

thats from the same paper

so will it be retting or burning?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
perhaps burning is not the answer-

"Fermentation can help turn hemp boon [hurds] into a suitable product for soil fertilization. During fermentation the boon reaches almost the same level of assimilable N, K, Mn and Cu as in barnyard manure..

thats from the same paper

so will it be retting or burning?

Someone does sell a fermented hemp extract. I think maybe KIS Organics.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Yeah it's bas
From their website:
This hemp extract is made with love on a small farm in Paonia Colorado using natural probiotic farming practices.

Derived From: Probiotically Grown Flowers, Seeds, Stalks and Roots with an emphasis on flowers, Clean Mountain Water, EM-1, Home Made LABS (LactoBacillus Serum), Super Cera Powder, and Molasses. This is then fermented until the cherry hemp is digested and extracted into the liquid and the molasses consumed by the microbes to lock in the PH for stability and ease of use in the garden.

Why Use?

Since starting BuildASoil we've been preaching DIY techniques. This particular fermented plant extract is made from hemp flowers along with the whole plant, and all the information we have about fermenting your own extracts suggests that you should start with the part of the plant that you wish to grow. For instance, if you wish to get faster vegetative growth you would ferment fast growing green leaves to feed to your plants. However, if you wished to grow bigger flowers, you should ferment flowers to feed to your plants. It is with this idea, we fermented hemp plants and flowers to be used as an all natural bloom booster for your garden.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
It's weird that the link doesn't work. Thanks for posting a working one!
It's also weird that if I go to hempbasics.com - it's a business site that sells rope, fabric and such. But there is no way to get to the research paper. Weird. If I Google "hemp ash npk" it's the third website listed. It says hemp husbandry chapter 2. I'm going to try to find chapter 1!
There is a lot of info in that paper!
Does it work if you copy and paste this address below?

www.hempbasics.com/hhusb/hh2cul.htm

Rico Swazi

I believe its from the BAS website not KIS

Somewhere back in the days of the seed depot, there was a thread on fermenting cannabis leaves, stalks and even roots

wish there was a way to access those gems

Rico Swazi

It's weird that the link doesn't work. Thanks for posting a working one!
It's also weird that if I go to hempbasics.com - it's a business site that sells rope, fabric and such. But there is no way to get to the research paper. Weird. If I Google "hemp ash npk" it's the third website listed. It says hemp husbandry chapter 2. I'm going to try to find chapter 1!
There is a lot of info in that paper!
Does it work if you copy and paste this address below?

www.hempbasics.com/hhusb/hh2cul.htm

the link above works like you say chapter 2

if you are still looking for chapter 1, here it is

https://www.hempbasics.com/hhusb/hh11stcr.htm

Rico Swazi

CannaRed, If you didn't post it, I wouldn't know what I was looking for so the thanks goes right back at you brother:tiphat:

something interesting I found is, if true, the timing of harvest is important enough to pay attention to if a grower is looking to produce the best ash

With the increasing scarcity of available forest for harvesting, there is a potential need for alternatives to wood fibers for pulp and paper production. Hemp is considered to be a good source of long and strong fibers. In this study, the effect of the harvesting age of hemp stems on their chemical composition and the biomass produced by the plants were studied. Hemp stems were harvested at ages of 30, 60, 90, and 120 days. Standard TAPPI procedures were used for chemical analyses of the stems. There was little variation observed in the percentage of the constituents such as lignin, hemicellulose, and α-cellulose with the plant growth. However, a very significant decrease was seen in the percentages of extractives, ash, and silica with plant growth. The rate of increase of biomass was higher in the first half of the growing period, i.e., from 30 to 60 days, compared to the second half, from 60 to 90 days. On the basis of the chemical constituents and the biomass produced, it is concluded that hemp grown for the pulp and paper industry should be harvested between 60 and 90 days for optimal results.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1081/WCT-120016263

non

Veteran
hi

how would vaped remains differ from ash in properties since it's a different process. alkalinity and such. could be used as top dress?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
THIS IS FIVE STARS

Also to all Vapers one thing
Make edibles of that vaped green that has turn to brown after you Vape it.
This works
Get High two times from one LOL

true , try and see

Sorry for total offtopic

Russia420, I have written quite a bit about that. You are absolutely correct that there are still plenty of active oils in that ABV. After making butter, getting rid of the spent mash is a problem.

Burn a dormant bermuda lawn in the spring, and it will be greener than ever. Burning leaves on top of the garden spot helps too. The guys making oil have a lot or plant material to get rid of somehow. Would the solvents burn of sufficiently? Wash ash with water or something?

Last edited:

h.h.

Veteran
I believe its from the BAS website not KIS

Somewhere back in the days of the seed depot, there was a thread on fermenting cannabis leaves, stalks and even roots

wish there was a way to access those gems

KIS doesn’t follow stoner science. BAS will sell anything...

Just add rice water. I use chicken scratch. Almost any grain to get a LAB infection.