What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Please critique my Jack Herer

pheed

This Jack Herer (Vision Seeds / freebie seed) is at 93 days of 12/12, and still producing new pistils and foxtailing like crazy. I've been feeding it nothing but water for the last six weeks, but I guess the 5 gallons of Ocean Forest I'm growing it in is pretty rich. Trichomes are still all white, and kinda small. There's lots of bud, but it doesn't look like top shelf bud to me. Is there anything I should be doing to get my girl to finish? What can I do in future grows to improve the quality and structure of my buds?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-09 at 12.55.16 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-05-09 at 12.55.16 AM.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Some strains, especially sativas, do foxtail genetically and never stop growing new pistils - you just have to cut it down when you feel like it's time has come. I haven't grown Jack Herer so don't know about it but had a Haze that always did that. Some strains do it when you flower them too long. If you haven't had high temps lately, I think that might be the case here. I always thought JH had a relatively short flowering period?

Over and all the plant looks alright to me except for the slight nute burn. Maybe take better care of VPD next time and/or lighten your feeding or something?

Granger2

Veteran
Look at the buds with at least a 30x glass. Check the older to medium age trichomes. If you see much amber, go ahead and harvest. Good luck. -granger

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
After fifteen years of clones I went seeds. New legal market and need name recognition.

I have a Jack Herer just past nine weeks and looks to have about another ten days to go.
I have noticed a great variation seed to seed even with the same strains. The Jack here has no foxtails at all. It resembles a short round indica with a giant cola sticking out the top fully as long as the rest of the plant.
Light cycle is 13.5/10.5, but this is due to Far Red supplement at dusk and dawn which changes how much dark is needed.
Years ago when foxtailing was a problem it turned out to be the red/blue balance was off. After dialing in the spectrum the foxtails went away and have not been a problem since.
The lights do not come on for another hour yet, I will take a photo then.
I am really liking the way it is coming along, wish it was larger.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Hmm, my previous post guessing at finishing times was based on a few amber trichomes on some bud leaves. Closer inspection of the pistols shows new growth also going on.
The information with the seed pack calls for 70 days, this corresponds with the trichomes.
Trichomes high on the bud are still clear or milky, trichomes lower down are close to 10% amber.
With plants like this I wait for the pistils to suck back in, when the majority of the bud is swollen calyx and short brown hairs it gets harvested in spite of minor new growth on top.
It is a judgment call.

Attachments

• Jack Herer,put to bud 03-07 making it 63 days along in this photo..jpg
    Jack Herer,put to bud 03-07 making it 63 days along in this photo..jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Jack Herer top half of plant at 63 days.jpg
    Jack Herer top half of plant at 63 days.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

St. Phatty

Looks Great.

That first picture reminds me of some of the mountainous bud shots in the original Neville S. Seed Bank catalog.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
This Jack Herer (Vision Seeds / freebie seed) is at 93 days of 12/12, and still producing new pistils and foxtailing like crazy. I've been feeding it nothing but water for the last six weeks, but I guess the 5 gallons of Ocean Forest I'm growing it in is pretty rich. Trichomes are still all white, and kinda small. There's lots of bud, but it doesn't look like top shelf bud to me. Is there anything I should be doing to get my girl to finish? What can I do in future grows to improve the quality and structure of my buds?

You are spot on looking to harvest when the plant is right, not when the pack says, amazing how many people just do what the pack says

Seed grows can throw up all sorts of things, espcially polyhybrids with Haze in the mix, so it is not unusual that it is still going

However, as others said, reducing the light cycle a bit below 12h lit will help , flushing solutions can also speed things up for some. I would also raise the lights to be sure you don't toast the terpenes, or trigger further cornrows of pistils to spurt out and delay finishing. Lights too close trigger this, as do buds leaning over horizontally as they pack on weight... they put on a fresh top coat of pistils, further delaying any perfect harvest, so take care with both

Good luck and enjoy, done right JH is a great strain