What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHO Safety aka "Please don't immolate or blow your self up!"

gunnaknow

Well said, GW. All it takes is one spark! He could possibly run a hot water pipe from the outside, into the mobile home. Similar to a central heating system.

jump117

Veteran
He could possibly run a hot water pipe from the outside, into the mobile home.
Similar to a central heating system.

Are there any known cases of burning of evaporated gas and how to use the generated heat?

Perhaps it is safer and more efficient than evaporation into the atmosphere (of the room)?

gunnaknow

Good question mate. I think that the simplest method would probably be to run the vent pipe to a compressor outside and feed it to a gas boiler. Then run the hot water pipe into the mobile home to heat radiators. Or, if he already has a LPG generator he could compress the butane, feed it to the generator and heat an electric boiler. He would really need to know what he was doing though, or get a plumber to do it.

Waterpumpee

You didn't say how you are diffusing and evacuating the butane from indoors.

Lots of open windows and a windy day.

Located near the coast so we get a nice ocean breeze which moves the gas out steadily but also provides a lot of oxygen.

Looks like I'm working with gas, oxygen, and potential sparks. :eek:

I think that the simplest method would probably be to run the vent pipe to a compressor outside and feed it to a gas boiler. Then run the hot water pipe into the mobile home to heat radiators. Or, if he already has a LPG generator he could compress the butane, feed it to the generator and heat an electric boiler. He would really need to know what he was doing though, or get a plumber to do it.

Thanks for the ideas! We really want to keep our operation as portable as possible. I'm thinking there has to be a little simpler solution and will continue to brainstorm.

Guess I just need to do without the heat gun until purging and figure out how to replace the warming table.

Appreciate the input, guys.

jump117

Veteran
I'm thinking there has to be a little simpler solution and will continue to brainstorm.

The simplest solution is adjusted gas burner.
Then, instead of explosive air-gas mixture will evacuate hot air and combustion products, steam and hot CO2.

One can 250ml/139g carries 1.75 kWh energy and burn up in the 4800W burner with gas consumption 346 g/h for 22-24 minutes.

gunnaknow

The simplest solution is adjusted gas burner.
Then, instead of explosive air-gas mixture will evacuate hot air and combustion products, steam and hot CO2.

One can 250ml/139g carries 1.75 kWh energy and burn up in the 4800W burner with gas consumption 346 g/h for 22-24 minutes.

How would you intend to utilize the hot air, jump? Pass it through piping into the mobile home? I would be inclined to use a boiler to heat radiators because hot water has alot more heat conductance. If he wants to go really basic, he could heat a stockpot full of water on a stove outside and then bring the stockpot inside. This is fun, I like brainstorming! lol

jump117

Veteran
Saying about the simplest solution I didn't mean to utilize generated energy, just let the ocean breeze to move the hot air out through open windows.

Lots of open windows and a windy day.

Located near the coast so we get a nice ocean breeze

Last edited:

Waterpumpee

If he wants to go really basic, he could heat a stockpot full of water on a stove outside and then bring the stockpot inside. This is fun, I like brainstorming! lol

That would be a fine solution if we weren't already over-worked; Making hash used to be fun! (For the most part is still is :woohoo: ) Hopefully I'll come across a hands free method of keeping a sparkless heating source before the next run.

Maybe there is some element I can heat and then add to water to keep it hotter, longer.

gunnaknow

Saying about the simplest solution I didn't mean to utilize generated energy, just let the ocean breeze to move the hot air out through open windows.

Ah right, I thought that we were still discussing how to generate heat outside to replace the electrics that he uses inside. Were you talking about burning the fuel because CO2 and water are better for the planet than butane?

That would be a fine solution if we weren't already over-worked; Making hash used to be fun! (For the most part is still is :woohoo: ) Hopefully I'll come across a hands free method of keeping a sparkless heating source before the next run.

If you don't wish to recycle the butane, then things are alot simpler. All that you would need to do is feed a hot pipe into the inside from a small camp stove outside.

Waterpumpee

If you don't wish to recycle the butane, then things are alot simpler. All that you would need to do is feed a hot pipe into the inside from a small stove outside.

Rocks when heated up on a fire retain their heat for a very long time but as soon as you add them to water, the heat dissipates quickly through rapid boiling. You can drastically slow down the dissipation by burying the hot rocks in a shallow wooden tray filled with sand. If you then placed your evaporation plates ontop, you could have several hours of gentle heat. If it's not hot enough, all you need to do is damp down the sand to increase the heat conductance.

Recycling butane is a new concept to me that I'd like to check out. We get our butane insanely cheap so it's not that big of a deal, though.

The rocks in sand is a neat idea because of the portability. If I could really get them to keep the water warm enough for several hours, they would only need changed a couple times in a day--much better than running pots of water back and forth.

(Is there a way to edit a post to correct grammar/typos? I feel like there must be a button right under my nose I'm not seeing!)

gunnaknow

Sure, just press the edit button. I edited my post also because I'm not completely certain exactly how safe it would be to have hot rocks in a butane rich atmosphere. I was just brainstorming. The sand would most likely make it impossible for any butane to combust because of the lack of air below the sand. However, I can't offer any guarantees and this is a thread where certainty is called for. You would want to test it's safety outside with some experiments first.

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Go magnetic.

Go magnetic.

A safe, excellent, sparkless, heat source is an induction hot plate.

There are no heating elements, or mechanical switches involved.
It's a solid state, oscillating magnetic field, generator.
It induces heat in my stainless steel purging vessel through induction.
Added benefit?
There's a digital temperature readout that's accurate.
Can't overcook.
The power-level is adjustable,
No boil-over.
They are not that expensive either.
Just google induction hot plate.

Aloha,

Weezard

W

Whitegirlweed

Stainless/glass tube safety

Stainless/glass tube safety

First post here, love the site and information. First I am very paranoid when I run bho, maybe it's due to my previous profession. (LOX technician) I have been using small ID glass tubes, 28g 14g however this isn't efficient. I was looking at a 60g stainless tube but my spidey senses tingle when I think about static. What are your thoughts on stainless/vs glass? I run with minimal 100% cotton clothing OUTSIDE away from everyone, or anything. I wear anti-static wristbands, respirator, eye and face protection and just ordered an anti-static mat for my extractions. Am I safe, how can I be safer?

blastfrompast

Veteran
greywolf:

Heard a good one the other day, turns out a buddy's friend uses a MICROWAVE to cook off his solvents...

I'm just waiting for him to blow his house up.

blastfrompast

Veteran
LOL they have tried to get him to stop...He is just too stubborn to change his ways and admit he is doing something dangerous...

Some people just don't listen to reason.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Does he have any neighbors? If so, he's putting them all at risk. If he has close neighbors, and still doesn't care that he could kill them along with himself, then I think it would be irresponsible of you NOT to use force to get him to stop.

If I were in a similar position, I'm pretty sure I would actually allow myself to get violent on this person, for the greater good.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
You know, that really makes me wonder, because I haven't found myself in the above situation before. I tend to only associate with relatively intelligent people.

So, what would you all do if you found yourself in the situation blastfromthepast presents above? If you know someone is doing something absolutely dangerous regarding their BHO manufacturing, and they have neighbors or housemates who are unknowingly in danger? What would be the best course of action to take? Everyone hates a snitch, so I'm guessing that's not the preferred route. So what do we do if someone continues to put his neighbors in danger after being warned? Tell the neighbors? Knock the muffugga out?

blastfrompast

Veteran
He uses ISO, but I am sure it will still go boom...

To be honest I have found most stupid people will just keep doing what they want till it hurts them...

No different than drunk drivers, or people who blast/cook tane indoors, etc. etc.....

At almost 50yrs old the guy is old enough to know better, but to stupid to change.

Like I said, it is a buddies friend...I just couldn't believe how stupid the guy is..and how lucky too...been doing it for over a decade that way according to buddy who used to live with him.

I blast and purge outdoors, my site has a pretty good slope (homestead built on hill)....I also leave my smokes and lighter inside the house (amazing how smokers will up a ciggie without thinking).

Cheers

scoots

Good question and the answer is that I don't know without looking at the setup.

GW, back in 70's when i used to blast (not bho) we always shut off 2 way radios. Well, in or around a garage, what about car alarms, garage door openers, remote garage door openers, garage door low voltage sensors that determine if there is something in the way, electric hot water heater, burglar alarm and sensors. Hopefully the garage is not close to the street.