What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Neptunes Harvest Crab Shell

G

I seen a pail of this in my local garden shop. what would i use this for and is it any good.and can i use it in place of dolomite lime. it says it 2-3-0 .

or should i use it as a soil amendment ?

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No.
It's too slow to be effective. The 2-3-1 may work for short term feeding but not nearly enough Ca or Mg to be effective. Use the powdered dolomite.
Burn1

G

thanks burn one .i have been using vics super soil for 4-5 years,. and i noticed not having good root growth so i added coco.and now i have the best of both worlds soil/hydro but all organic.i like the super soil because i can use different amendments.
and try different things last time i used mushroom compost .it did OK. i am using something new this time. i found at my local garden center. Premier Bio Max, Peat Shrimp Manure Compost.

it looks full of organic goodies . and i will add this to my mix with my home made earth worm castings and some roots organisms .

have you used this Premier Bio Max, Peat Shrimp Manure Compost? and how did it turn out?

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DW-
No, I use the stuff posted in the beginner sticky. Mostly guano teas and Maxicrop. I can "read" the plants and see what they are asking for. Sometimes I use the blood/bone/kelp recipe if I'm going to be away from the garden for a few days during the grow.
I honestly think that if you put the right things in the soil, there is no need to use a lot of other stuff. The plant is going to take up what it needs as long as it's there.
Burn1

Crab shell makes an excellent soil conditioner.

No, I wouldn't apply it as 'fast-acting' fertilizer, but it certainly helps microorganisms thrive and breaks down into good stuff.

RawNature

Hey not sure if they had the liquid version of the crab shell from Neptunes Harvest but i see they have it now any thoughts?

Ratzilla

Veteran
This is from their website.
Neptune's Harvest Organic Crab Shell is an excellent dry organic source of NPK, 5-3-0 Calcium (17%) and Magnesium (1%). A slow release fertilizer that is high in chitin, Neptune's Harvest Crab Shell promotes the growth of beneficial organisms in the soil and helps deter plant parasitic nematodes.

RawNature

so would that be okay to use with elemental from roots organics they both have cal mag i see is that a problem. i mainly want the elemental for its ph adjustment as i read people adding lime to there soil mixes and thats one thing i overlooked and never did. im guessing my mix was okay since i had used sunshine mix#4 which would be good for one season without

lime im guessing???

reghatesschwag

good alternative

good alternative

i use shrimp meal 5-10-0 from fedco and have no problem getting phosphorus into the plant. pretty sure it has chitin too

Reg