What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

To boldly go ...

igrowone

Veteran
well, this path has been trod before, but still
a Japanese billionaire is laying down some hard earned cash for a trip around the moon with a SpaceX rocket(Elon Musk presiding)
5 years out, 2023
just saying i'm impressed(if it happens)https://flipboard.com/@Spacecom

SpaceX Will Fly a Japanese Billionaire (and Artists, Too!) Around the Moon in 2023

By Mike Wall, Space.com Senior Writer | September 17, 2018 10:45pm ET

A Japanese billionaire and a coterie of artists will visit the moon as early as 2023, becoming the first private citizens ever to fly beyond low Earth orbit, SpaceX CEO Elon Musk announced tonight. Yusaku Maezawa, the founder of Japanese e-commerce giant Zozo, has signed up to fly a round-the-moon mission aboard SpaceX's BFR spaceship-rocket combo, he and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk announced during a webcast tonight (Sept. 17) from the company's rocket factory in Hawthorne, California.
The mission — which will loop around, but not land on, the moon — could be ready to launch in just five years, Musk said. [The BFR in Images: SpaceX's Giant Spaceship for Mars & Beyond]
"Ever since I was a kid, I have loved the moon," Maezawa said. "Just staring at the moon fueled my imagination; it's always there and has continued to inspire humanity. That is why I do not pass up this opportunity to see the moon up close."
Maezawa won't go alone. He said he will choose six to eight artists, from painters and sculptors to fashion designers and architects, to share the experience with him — and, ultimately, with all of us. The artwork that results from this weeklong "#dearMoon" mission "will inspire the dreamer inside all of us," said Maezawa, who is an avid art collector. He's launched a website (https://dearmoon.earth/) just for the project.

Maezawa has also invited Musk to come along, and the SpaceX chief didn't exactly shoot down the possibility: "Maybe we'll both be on it," Musk said.
Neither Musk nor Maezawa would disclose how much the flight costs. But both said that Maezawa has already made a substantial down payment, and that he's buying the entire flight (meaning the artists will fly for free).
Musk stressed that the mission, whose details still need to be worked out, will be dangerous. He commended Maezawa for his bravery.
"This is no walk in the park," Musk said. "When you're pushing the frontier, it's not a sure thing."

SpaceX is developing the BFR — which stands for Big Falcon Rocket, or Big F------ Rocket — primarily to help humanity settle Mars and other worlds throughout the solar system. After all, Musk has long maintained that helping make humanity a multiplanet species is the main reason he established SpaceX back in 2002. (The BFR will also do a lot of other work. SpaceX foresees the vehicle eventually shouldering all of the company's loads, from launching satellites, to cleaning up space junk, to carrying passengers on superfast "point-to-point" trips here on Earth.) [How SpaceX's 1st Passenger Flight Around the Moon Will Work]
Musk estimated that it'll ultimately cost about $5 billion to get the BFR up and running. And he thanked Maezawa for providing a key piece of funding toward that end.

"This has done a lot to restore my faith in humanity — that somebody's willing to do this," Musk said. "He is ultimately helping to pay for the average citizen to be able to travel to other planets. It's a great thing."
The SpaceX CEO also provided an update about the BFR design during tonight's event. For example, the reusable rocket-spaceship duo will be taller than previously stated — 387 feet (118 meters), compared with the 348 feet (106 m) that Musk cited during his September 2017 overview of the vehicle.
And the new BFR spaceship will feature three rear "actuated fins" that also serve as landing pads, as well as two fins near its nose. The previous spaceship iteration sported just two finlike "delta wings" in the back.

The BFR spaceship can fit about 100 people, but the "Dear Moon" trip will carry just a skeleton crew to accommodate extra fuel, food, water and spare parts, as a precaution in case something goes wrong, Musk said.
The 2023 launch date is not set in stone, he stressed. SpaceX aims to perform short "hopper tests" next year and high-altitude, high-velocity flights in 2020. If those tests go well, the first flight to Earth orbit could occur two to three years from now, Musk said. And SpaceX will perform a number of uncrewed test flights before putting Maezawa and the artists on board.

This is not Maezawa's first experience booking a moon flight with SpaceX.
The Japanese entrepreneur was also the person who booked a circumlunar flight using SpaceX's Dragon capsule and Falcon Heavy rocket, Musk announced tonight. That mission, which SpaceX announced in February 2017, was to carry two people — presumably Maezawa and one artist — and launch by the end of 2018.
While humanity has maintained a continuous presence aboard the International Space Station since November 2000, no person has ventured beyond Earth orbit since the Apollo 17 moon mission ended in December 1972.
NASA also aims to launch astronauts around the moon at about the same time that SpaceX does. The space agency's Exploration Mission-2, the first crewed test flight of its Orion capsule and Space Launch System rocket, is currently scheduled to lift off on a three-week circumlunar mission in 2023.
Follow Mike Wall on Twitter @michaeldwall and Google+. Follow us @Spacedotcom, Facebook or Google+. Originally published on Space.com.

dddaver

Veteran
I wonder how much the guy is actually paying for the privilege of living out his childhood fantasy?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
well, this path has been trod before, but still
a Japanese billionaire is laying down some hard earned cash for a trip around the moon with a SpaceX rocket(Elon Musk presiding)
5 years out, 2023
just saying i'm impressed(if it happens)https://flipboard.com/@Spacecom

SpaceX Will Fly a Japanese Billionaire (and Artists, Too!) Around the Moon in 2023

By Mike Wall, Space.com Senior Writer | September 17, 2018 10:45pm ET

A Japanese billionaire and a coterie of artists will visit the moon as early as 2023, becoming the first private citizens ever to fly beyond low Earth orbit, SpaceX CEO Elon Musk announced tonight. Yusaku Maezawa, the founder of Japanese e-commerce giant Zozo, has signed up to fly a round-the-moon mission aboard SpaceX's BFR spaceship-rocket combo, he and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk announced during a webcast tonight (Sept. 17) from the company's rocket factory in Hawthorne, California.
The mission — which will loop around, but not land on, the moon — could be ready to launch in just five years, Musk said. [The BFR in Images: SpaceX's Giant Spaceship for Mars & Beyond]
"Ever since I was a kid, I have loved the moon," Maezawa said. "Just staring at the moon fueled my imagination; it's always there and has continued to inspire humanity. That is why I do not pass up this opportunity to see the moon up close."
Maezawa won't go alone. He said he will choose six to eight artists, from painters and sculptors to fashion designers and architects, to share the experience with him — and, ultimately, with all of us. The artwork that results from this weeklong "#dearMoon" mission "will inspire the dreamer inside all of us," said Maezawa, who is an avid art collector. He's launched a website (https://dearmoon.earth/) just for the project.

Maezawa has also invited Musk to come along, and the SpaceX chief didn't exactly shoot down the possibility: "Maybe we'll both be on it," Musk said.
Neither Musk nor Maezawa would disclose how much the flight costs. But both said that Maezawa has already made a substantial down payment, and that he's buying the entire flight (meaning the artists will fly for free).
Musk stressed that the mission, whose details still need to be worked out, will be dangerous. He commended Maezawa for his bravery.
"This is no walk in the park," Musk said. "When you're pushing the frontier, it's not a sure thing."

SpaceX is developing the BFR — which stands for Big Falcon Rocket, or Big F------ Rocket — primarily to help humanity settle Mars and other worlds throughout the solar system. After all, Musk has long maintained that helping make humanity a multiplanet species is the main reason he established SpaceX back in 2002. (The BFR will also do a lot of other work. SpaceX foresees the vehicle eventually shouldering all of the company's loads, from launching satellites, to cleaning up space junk, to carrying passengers on superfast "point-to-point" trips here on Earth.) [How SpaceX's 1st Passenger Flight Around the Moon Will Work]
Musk estimated that it'll ultimately cost about $5 billion to get the BFR up and running. And he thanked Maezawa for providing a key piece of funding toward that end.

"This has done a lot to restore my faith in humanity — that somebody's willing to do this," Musk said. "He is ultimately helping to pay for the average citizen to be able to travel to other planets. It's a great thing."
The SpaceX CEO also provided an update about the BFR design during tonight's event. For example, the reusable rocket-spaceship duo will be taller than previously stated — 387 feet (118 meters), compared with the 348 feet (106 m) that Musk cited during his September 2017 overview of the vehicle.
And the new BFR spaceship will feature three rear "actuated fins" that also serve as landing pads, as well as two fins near its nose. The previous spaceship iteration sported just two finlike "delta wings" in the back.

The BFR spaceship can fit about 100 people, but the "Dear Moon" trip will carry just a skeleton crew to accommodate extra fuel, food, water and spare parts, as a precaution in case something goes wrong, Musk said.
The 2023 launch date is not set in stone, he stressed. SpaceX aims to perform short "hopper tests" next year and high-altitude, high-velocity flights in 2020. If those tests go well, the first flight to Earth orbit could occur two to three years from now, Musk said. And SpaceX will perform a number of uncrewed test flights before putting Maezawa and the artists on board.

This is not Maezawa's first experience booking a moon flight with SpaceX.
The Japanese entrepreneur was also the person who booked a circumlunar flight using SpaceX's Dragon capsule and Falcon Heavy rocket, Musk announced tonight. That mission, which SpaceX announced in February 2017, was to carry two people — presumably Maezawa and one artist — and launch by the end of 2018.
While humanity has maintained a continuous presence aboard the International Space Station since November 2000, no person has ventured beyond Earth orbit since the Apollo 17 moon mission ended in December 1972.
NASA also aims to launch astronauts around the moon at about the same time that SpaceX does. The space agency's Exploration Mission-2, the first crewed test flight of its Orion capsule and Space Launch System rocket, is currently scheduled to lift off on a three-week circumlunar mission in 2023.
Follow Mike Wall on Twitter @michaeldwall and Google+. Follow us @Spacedotcom, Facebook or Google+. Originally published on Space.com.

fascinating stuff. don't think i'd be up for it though :D

igrowone

Veteran
It would be hard to roll a joint in Zero G.
i was mulling this over myself, Elon is a known member of the cannabis club
and he hasn't eliminated himself from being on the trip
burning one as you orbit the moon, maybe over the sea of tranquility
not likely to happen of course, probably have to be a vape session instead

CaptainDankness

I saw total recall, cant fool me, mars is gonna suck.

For real, it's going to be like a prison. Everyone stuck in little domes forced to work. Really it would be the ultimate Marxist community because you really have no other choice.

Of course I can't wait until they colonize Mars it will make for a good reality TV show, especially when they freak the fuck out and can't come home. Lol

Brother Nature

i was mulling this over myself, Elon is a known member of the cannabis club
and he hasn't eliminated himself from being on the trip
burning one as you orbit the moon, maybe over the sea of tranquility
not likely to happen of course, probably have to be a vape session instead

Was thinking this too, plus you know how 'artists' are lol

I think it'd be pretty amazing to experience, don't know if I'd want to be the first, those initial Space X launches don't inspire a ton of confidence.

As most of us will likely never experience this and since IGO reminded me of it, light one up and listen to this tune, it's a goodn'... :smoker:

35007 - Sea of Tranquillity

[youtubeif]zINYQhkNIp8[/youtubeif]

dddaver

Veteran
He believes its imperative for human survival to colonize Mars and the Moon. Hardly a childhood dream, imo. :tiphat:

You're right. I'm sure his billions had absolutely nothing to do with it. I'm sure he'll be thinking about altruism and furthering man's reach for the stars as he is strapped in hurtling around the moon on his 4 day trip.:whee:

You're right. I'm sure his billions had absolutely nothing to do with it. I'm sure he'll be thinking about altruism and furthering man's reach for the stars as he is strapped in hurtling around the moon on his 4 day trip.:whee:

I have no idea why you would think otherwise...... You do know why he is going to Mars right? He thinks human kind will become extinct on Earth without colonizing the solar system. AI being one of the biggest threats. I happen to agree 100%, and believe humans will colonize the stars. Mars and the moon are the first steps. These are things he says on a regular basis to the public, why do you think he is lying? Or is your problem he might have fun doing it?

igrowone

Veteran
i wouldn't call it altruism, thinking it's being a hero
part of the human character, mostly(sorry ladies) a guy thing
the hero takes big risks, jumps forward to the point of attack
but heroes that survive expect to be recognized for their heroism
self interest does have a part, fair enough i say

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have no idea why you would think otherwise...... You do know why he is going to Mars right? He thinks human kind will become extinct on Earth without colonizing the solar system. AI being one of the biggest threats. I happen to agree 100%, and believe humans will colonize the stars. Mars and the moon are the first steps. These are things he says on a regular basis to the public, why do you think he is lying? Or is your problem he might have fun doing it?

Why, if humans can get to Mars, would AI not follow?
They're going to need slaves too.

dddaver

Veteran
I thought this thread this thread was about that Japanese billionaire, not Musk. Wasn't that what that article was about? Why are you arguing?

shithawk420

Veteran
LMAO if anything humans came from Mars because it was a dying planet.lol at going back.not saying I believe that but it makes more sense.human stupidity never amazes me

igrowone

Veteran
I thought this thread this thread was about that Japanese billionaire, not Musk. Wasn't that what that article was about? Why are you arguing?

i'd say musk is part of the topic, he's certainly part of the game
and the game is getting hotter, leads to the big question
will the solar system's resources be pillaged by special interests, or in the name of all mankind?

Latest posts

Latest posts