What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chemdog IBL

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Soma NYC Diesel around 2007-09 time frame. My growroom had cooler night temps and I used alot of organics I guess is were the purple come from. I bought a 5 pack Soma fem Nyc Diesel from seed boutique.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I didn't know the NYCD was so desirable. Maybe I'll pop that next and make seeds.

Unless Soma reworked the older NYC Diesel I wouldn't get to excited. Don't get me wrong it's one of those strains you gotta run. But it just takes to long to flower indoors for no more than it yields. And yes it had the strong orange) grape fruit orange taste. I'm not sure it's a grapefruit pheno I got there...but I ran 3)5 and all were similar.

My friend cronholic crossed the NYC Diesel to Ak 47 and the plant looked identical but the smoke was like a strawberry faygo soda. Some of the older members might remember cronholic sent those Russian Diesel's in as freebies back then 2007 ers. The Russian Diesel's he made was one of my favorite all time smokes. Again low yield and long flowering time, but if you can keep 80+day flowering plants in your garden. I hated waiting 65-70 days on Kush lol...but nearing 90 days was hard to do. Well can't wait to see these Chem ibl....I might take the chance and grab a pack. Good luck friend:tiphat:

Americangrower

Veteran
It's actually a freebie pack - nycd x sour d.

I do have a Soma NYCD pack from a while ago. I didn't want to start too many projects at one time.

Who's seeds are the NYCD x SD from? If thats 06 Soma x Rez you have to f2 them. I would kill to grow them.

manpan

The NYCD X SD were from 2011 or right about then. Freebies from Dramamine. I looked it up last night, and it's Soma's NYCD & Rez's SD.

They're actually looking pretty good - tall, nice growth and smell. They're kinda mixed .. there are pheno's with fat leaves, and a couple that look mutated with thin, deformed leaves.

I'll definitely make F2s.

Also, when my SD throw out pollen, I'll make a (NYCDxSD) x SD and see how that turns out. Maybe get more of an SD quality out of the progeny.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Beautiful buds! :laughing:

Lol yes that's a huge cola thanks. I used to grow some good strains indoors. I'm doing some outdoor grows now, and it's a different ballgame. I've worked my old ass off this summer lol. But yeah that Rez stuff should be killer. If I knew seed boutique stock would germ I'd order some:tiphat:

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
The NYCD X SD were from 2011 or right about then. Freebies from Dramamine. I looked it up last night, and it's Soma's NYCD & Rez's SD.

They're actually looking pretty good - tall, nice growth and smell. They're kinda mixed .. there are pheno's with fat leaves, and a couple that look mutated with thin, deformed leaves.

I'll definitely make F2s.

Also, when my SD throw out pollen, I'll make a (NYCDxSD) x SD and see how that turns out. Maybe get more of an SD quality out of the progeny.

That NYC Diesel seems to work better crossed. Like I said cronholic crossed it with serious seeds ak47 and the taste was the best Ive ever smoked in 30yrs....just a strawberry faygo cream soda taste. He had sent the freebies to icmag/seed boutique and they were passed around back probably s decade ago. We become friends and he hooked me up with a bunch. I tried to germ some I had but there to old and wouldn't germ.

manpan

So I ended up getting an LED setup. It was like $900 bucks.

I have an older HID, 1000 watt HPS but it gets hot as balls. I may switch to the HID in the winter when it gets cooler and pump the heat to the rest of the house.

The NYCD and the CD look ready for flowering. I'll need to set up the tent, and move them there.

It's really a mixed bag for the CD and NYCD. There are a couple that really vigorous - healthy looking leaves, they're about 12 in to 15 in.

And there are several that not as vigorous - about 8 inches - with thin stalks and slight leaves. I like to think these weak looking ones have the most potential, but we'll see what happens.

I'm using pro-mix that i'm recycling from several years back. it looks pretty good. Top dressing with aged chicken manure, and Jack's. Switching to organic for flowering, i got the Foxfarm organic nutes.

For water, I'm using old aquarium water and adjusting the PH so it's around 6.0 to 6.5.

Also, what I say "NYCD" that's really "NYCD x SD".

What I'll probably end up doing is leaving the CD male in the tent with the CD females and the NYCD females and allow some careful pollination (I'll use a Q-tip and manually pollinate the lower branches. I don't want the whole plant pollinated).

Hopefully I'll get CD seeds and CD x (NYCDxSD).

These things apparently will take 70 - 80 days to finish. That puts it to around mid-November. yikes.

Last edited:

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
So I ended up getting an LED setup. It was like $900 bucks.

I have an older HID, 1000 watt HPS but it gets hot as balls. I may switch to the HID in the winter when it gets cooler and pump the heat to the rest of the house.

The NYCD and the CD look ready for flowering. I'll need to set up the tent, and move them there.

It's really a mixed bag for the CD and NYCD. There are a couple that really vigorous - healthy looking leaves, they're about 12 in to 15 in.

And there are several that not as vigorous - about 8 inches - with thin stalks and slight leaves. I like to think these weak looking ones have the most potential, but we'll see what happens.

I'm using pro-mix that i'm recycling from several years back. it looks pretty good. Top dressing with aged chicken manure, and Jack's. Switching to organic for flowering, i got the Foxfarm organic nutes.

For water, I'm using old aquarium water and adjusting the PH so it's around 6.0 to 6.5.

Also, what I say "NYCD" that's really "NYCD x SD".

What I'll probably end up doing is leaving the CD male in the tent with the CD females and the NYCD females and allow some careful pollination (I'll use a Q-tip and manually pollinate the lower branches. I don't want the whole plant pollinated).

Hopefully I'll get CD seeds and CD x (NYCDxSD).

These things apparently will take 70 - 80 days to finish. That puts it to around mid-November. yikes.

Yea like I was saying the regular NYC Diesel I let flower 85days and that's with 4-6 wks of veg 18/6 then 12/12 for 85 days.....I could've let her go another WK. I usually harvest 50/50 red hairs. The SD might help you some on flowering time but probably not much. The SD is usually a 70+ day 12/12 strain also.... depending on your liking. I know some guys like to harvest the buds early and some guys like to let them do a extra WK.

I used to leave my plants in total darkness for 24-72hrs or so. Do you got any pics ??? :tiphat:

dramamine

The 2003 NYCD mother was hit with a 2010 SD male (from Rez). The NYCD was a very Afghan phenotype that finished around 50 days flowering. Killer ruby grapefruit/rhubarb, really tart smell and flavor. Best flavored flowers ever, for me.

The cross to SD made really nice plants. Lots of pure diesel-smelling ones and two (out of 10, I think, females) were the killer grapefruit pheno. Nothing fluffy or long flowering showed up. Average flower time was around 60 days or so.

I need a new battery for my old camera so I can find a couple pictures hopefully. I need to pop more of these soon.

Also, I got one of the runty looking ones, but it grew out of it and finished nice, turning pure black by the end. Lots of purples and blacks in the cross.

manpan

Why does it seem like the most vigorous ones are males?

I have 6 CDs up, 2 are super strong growers - thick stems, big luscious leaves - I bet you those are males.

then there are 4 others - smaller, weird leaves, branchy.. I just know these are the females. I could be wrong.

They're all in the same soil, under the same light, same nutes, same water and schedule.

I gotta set up my tent and lights. The LED came in on Wednesday and I've been too busy to get it set up.

The NYCDs are looking good. pretty uniform. Maybe it's hybrid vigor.
There are 2 or 3 mutants .. I'll keep them going too, see what happens. I'll cull them if they're males. Too weird to keep going.

I'm using Pro MIx soil, and Jack's fert under 100 watt HPS. Switching to FoxFarm organic when I go to flower under LED.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Why does it seem like the most vigorous ones are males?

I have 6 CDs up, 2 are super strong growers - thick stems, big luscious leaves - I bet you those are males.

then there are 4 others - smaller, weird leaves, branchy.. I just know these are the females. I could be wrong.

They're all in the same soil, under the same light, same nutes, same water and schedule.

I gotta set up my tent and lights. The LED came in on Wednesday and I've been too busy to get it set up.

The NYCDs are looking good. pretty uniform. Maybe it's hybrid vigor.
There are 2 or 3 mutants .. I'll keep them going too, see what happens. I'll cull them if they're males. Too weird to keep going.

I'm using Pro MIx soil, and Jack's fert under 100 watt HPS. Switching to FoxFarm organic when I go to flower under LED.

Thanks this thread will be very interesting!

Americangrower

Veteran
The 2003 NYCD mother was hit with a 2010 SD male (from Rez). The NYCD was a very Afghan phenotype that finished around 50 days flowering. Killer ruby grapefruit/rhubarb, really tart smell and flavor. Best flavored flowers ever, for me.

The cross to SD made really nice plants. Lots of pure diesel-smelling ones and two (out of 10, I think, females) were the killer grapefruit pheno. Nothing fluffy or long flowering showed up. Average flower time was around 60 days or so.

I need a new battery for my old camera so I can find a couple pictures hopefully. I need to pop more of these soon.

Also, I got one of the runty looking ones, but it grew out of it and finished nice, turning pure black by the end. Lots of purples and blacks in the cross.

Did I hear grapefruit :yummy: I don't know how I missed these freebies.:wallbash:

Scrappy-doo

^^^ My sentiments exactly! The mother sounds just like my keeper. Fast finishing, lower yielding, tight little grapefruit nuggets... Crossed to the sdibl I can't think of a better outcross for it. I'd love to run those seeds.

manpan

so I put these in 12/12 light cycle.

The CD IBLs have begun to show gender after about 7 days. There's already 1 male and 1 female identified. The other 4 still haven't shown sex.

The NYCDs, I've already seen 4 males and 1 female. That leaves about 5 more to show their sex.

I'll cull all the males and keep the best 2 for breeding.

Americangrower

Veteran
so I put these in 12/12 light cycle.

The CD IBLs have begun to show gender after about 7 days. There's already 1 male and 1 female identified. The other 4 still haven't shown sex.

The NYCDs, I've already seen 4 males and 1 female. That leaves about 5 more to show their sex.

I'll cull all the males and keep the best 2 for breeding.

I would be sure and keep any nycd male that has that sour grapefruit smell.

manpan

Oh yeah man. I do get a grapefruit smell from the NYCD males.. Not as strong as C99s which had this crazy strong grapefruit smell, but it's there when I rub the stems. It's nice.

The NYCD males look really similar too in structure, and leaf shape.

Whatever parent Dramamine chose for these are pretty dominant traits. I expect that when they mature, these will look more like the NYCD than the SD.

I'm also running Rez's Sour Diesel and these NYCD males do not look like the SDs at all. So I imagine that's coming from the NYCD parent.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts