What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diamond Series XML - 10W CREE XML grow

AS, the lamp would do good to cover 2x2 feet. this is why i am testing the ds200 x2 in a 4 sq foot area. if that is succesfull, i will try to use 2 of the ds xml's in the same space.

i will get some new pic's up very soon.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Any updates on your grow so far? I'm curious to see how that XML light is working out for you.

-Funk

update

update

overall i am satisfied with the ds xml lamp. although i do not think it is eanough for a 2x2 area. (my other test grow is dual ds200 lamps, another review) the specs of this lamp states 2.5x2.5 or so core coverage.

all in all, this lamp is a win. the future sees a second ds xml lamp for the same sapce. eventhough a second lamp will not reduce the overall watts used, the heat effect and reduction of cooling is well worth it. i no longer worry of the girls touching the lamps.

p.s. please not comments on the lack of nitrogen! i think these girls are indonesian diesels. :woohoo:

lady g

Attachments

• Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 11

Keep goin

Wow, what a bunch of hostile nonsense from Mr Bongj...

Without using the lights how in the world can you say whether reviews are faked?

I have a more pertinent question about the company...why in the world are they under driving their chips so dramatically?? Do the math it is ridiculous! I would imagine it is for longevity of the unit...but it's more like running a 2w chip set. and 5's out of the 10's!??

But thank you Grow right for doing this test...Mr B beyond "fake" reviews from the manufacturer...this guy is doing a "real" test right in front of us...show a little love.

The smaller unit is 12.5" x 12.5"...so would you say it has an effective footprint of about 16 to 18 inches square?? One thing that is definitely true about ALL led manufacturers is they over blow the coverage area!!

That's what it sounds like given the fact that you want to put 2 units in a 2'x2' space...
I'm looking to fill up approximately a 3' x 1.5' area...seems like 2 of these units would fit the bill. Please let me know if you agree...and would recommend the light. (seems like you would)

Thanks in advance

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Without using the lights how in the world can you say whether reviews are faked?

I believe that many of the reviews are fake because they all sound ridiculous & hilariously similar, like a marketing brochure more than a real review, and unlike any legit reviews I've EVER read.

One doesn't need to use the product itself to point out marketing BS when it is that obvious.

Frankly though, we all could have had a laugh about it had certain folks not taken it so personal.

Socrates

I noticed what looked like some bleaching on a few of the buds in that last pic. How high above the plants do you keep the light, and has bleaching been an issue?

Keep goin

I believe that many of the reviews are fake because they all sound ridiculous & hilariously similar, like a marketing brochure more than a real review, and unlike any legit reviews I've EVER read.
But seriously guy...WHO CARES!

This guy started a thread doing a "real life" review. Let's just look at what he is saying, and showing, and use that info to make an informed decision.

I mean I bought the Lumigrow ES330 partially due to some of the reviews and raves I saw on this site...and I have to tell ya, I wonder if some of those people aren't "plants"!!??

Like I said before...if the lights are really good, then the reviews would look "fake" by your standard.

I am more concerned after reading over the site why they under drive their units by so much!? I mean they are NO where near the wattage of the chip sets...and that doesn't even consider the fans which definitely take up some of the power draw.

That's more upsetting to me than the reviews looking faked, or like marketing material....I mean come on, don't you always look at reviews with a bit of a fish eye...I know I do!

I appreciate a guy who is willing to put in the time to post a grow and give his honest opinion. That's worth 100 reviews on the manufacturers site. Seems like your beef is with the manufacturer, not with this grower...

I would like to thank him again, I'm always interested in MORE info...and definitely don't rely on manufacturers web sites for reviews of their products.

Just my 2 cents...whatever

vukman

Veteran
I am more concerned after reading over the site why they under drive their units by so much!? I mean they are NO where near the wattage of the chip sets...and that doesn't even consider the fans which definitely take up some of the power draw.

That's more upsetting to me than the reviews looking faked, or like marketing material....I mean come on, don't you always look at reviews with a bit of a fish eye...I know I do!

Hey bro...maybe I can shed a little light on this question of yours. A 3W chip is rated for..say 700mA and they are usually run at around 600mA. The reasoning is the lifetime of the chip. More so, the degradation which takes place within the chip if it isn't properly cooled and that's the main point right there. If you have proper cooling, you can run a 3W chip at 750mA-800mA and it would shine like a mofo but.........then comes the issue of warranties as well. If you were in the business of making money, would you under drive your unit and make sure it doesn't burn out or would you push it and if it burns out, you have to cover the cost of shipping and repairing the unit plus on top of it all, having to deal with forums and blogs saying that your product sucks because it keeps burning out.....

I hope you see the point I am trying to make. That is why the DIY community gets such amazing results with their lights on such low wattage. I wont mention names but there is someone who runs their 1W chips which are rated for 350mA at around 550mA and does not have a problem of burning out because the heat sink he uses it top shelf and can handle the heat.

Good Luck

Keep goin

Thanks vuk,

Yeah, I "get it"! I understand why, I'm just surprised people are getting good results from such an underpowered light!??

And my point was really to illustrate that there are more important things to look at than apparently overly "fantastic" reviews on a site.

If you do the math on the DS XML 150 I come up with 232w of draw (just for the lights, no fans) and an actual draw of 130w !! WOW, that's quite a difference! Not entirely comfortable with that dramatic a difference...but results are results.

My Lumigrow has 58 5w chips, that equals 290w...actual draw 330w (due to fans). And a 5 year warranty. (and I was still disappointed in the spread)

Not sure why you "won't mention names"? I am interested in LED info and like to read up as much as I can. Even the DIY stuff...even though that's not my bag. I'd rather just buy a quality unit and go fishing.

Thanks

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
But seriously guy...WHO CARES!

This guy started a thread doing a "real life" review. Let's just look at what he is saying, and showing, and use that info to make an informed decision.

I mean I bought the Lumigrow ES330 partially due to some of the reviews and raves I saw on this site...and I have to tell ya, I wonder if some of those people aren't "plants"!!??

Like I said before...if the lights are really good, then the reviews would look "fake" by your standard.

I care because these companies sell products to my peers who I care about. Question is - why don't you care?

Considering you've had a bad experience with a LED panel already, I would think you'd appreciate ALL points of view being offered about a particular company in a thread about their specific product.

This isn't "Grow Right's Diary" in the diary section, this is "Diamond Series XML - 10W CREE XML grow" in the LED lights section, and I don't feel a discussion about the manufacturer is out of place.

Now you can keep putting words into my mouth if you'd like or have a real discussion. Specifically, don't act like my standard is "positive review = fake" when really this is about a site full of many SUPER QUESTIONABLE reviews unlike anything I've ever seen on any legitimate site. Even people who didn't care for my posts in this thread have agreed something is fishy, so dude, you can bury your head in the sand if you'd like, but you're beginning to sound as fake as those reviews.

Keep goin

Wow, you just won't stop!!?

Did you read my post? Or just copy and paste it..!??

I obviously "care" for my fellow growers as well...but I care more about the specs of the actual lights and results that people are getting (in front of us)..instead of apparent "false" reviews..DON'T CARE!

I wouldn't buy lights based on manufacturers site reviews, and I wouldn't suggest that you or anyone else do. (of course they will be positive) THEY ARE MARKETING! (As you correctly pointed out!) I mean I literally "glaze over" when I read crap like that...

Not sure that other growers whom you claim to be "caring" about would either...(that's why I don't get all your carrying on!?)

My point was simply that all your carrying on is distracting from the thread...

Of course you keep responding...so now I'M distracting from the thread!!?? (Sorry u all)

And you haven't once responded to the comments I have made, or the points of real concern that I and others growers would possibly have.

I have not used this companies lights...and if anything I am pointing out short falls of the light design..so not sure how "my head's in the sand", or how I sound fake. Just trying to keep the thread on specific points that might actually matter to growers making an informed decision.

You strike me as the type who loves to have the last word...So have at it...

Good luck all

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow, you just won't stop!!?

Did you read my post? Or just copy and paste it..!??

I obviously "care" for my fellow growers as well...but I care more about the specs of the actual lights and results that people are getting (in front of us)..instead of apparent "false" reviews..DON'T CARE!

I wouldn't buy lights based on manufacturers site reviews, and I wouldn't suggest that you or anyone else do. (of course they will be positive) THEY ARE MARKETING! (As you correctly pointed out!) I mean I literally "glaze over" when I read crap like that...

Not sure that other growers whom you claim to be "caring" about would either...(that's why I don't get all your carrying on!?)

My point was simply that all your carrying on is distracting from the thread...

Of course you keep responding...so now I'M distracting from the thread!!?? (Sorry u all)

And you haven't once responded to the comments I have made, or the points of real concern that I and others growers would possibly have.

I have not used this companies lights...and if anything I am pointing out short falls of the light design..so not sure how "my head's in the sand", or how I sound fake. Just trying to keep the thread on specific points that might actually matter to growers making an informed decision.

You strike me as the type who loves to have the last word...So have at it...

Good luck all

I love how you act like I popped back into this thread for no reason. You brought all this back up, calling my posts "nonsense" and then responding to them in depth, rudely I might add.

Did you think you were speaking to an empty chair like fucking Clint Eastwood?

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
I love how you act like I popped back into this thread for no reason. You brought all this back up, calling my posts "nonsense" and then responding to them in depth, rudely I might add.

Did you think you were speaking to an empty chair like fucking Clint Eastwood?

Lmfao......Poor, poor Clint.

tenthirty

I just can't help myself.
My 2 pence.

At $549.00 for 130 advertized watts this thing is expensive. ($4.22 a watt)
If the thing was running all XM-L leds with no lenses, the coverage would be 2x2 at best.
But it's not. It has 4 XM-L leds and lots of smaller discrete wavelength leds in it with lenses. read losses!

I think the design is a step in the right direction, but is still has some inherent flaws, probably due to marketing and profiteering.
To me, it's obvious that it was not designed by anyone who knows anything about plant biology.
Also, the one chart on the page is meaningless, it just shows the photosynthetic action spectrum.
There is no chart that I could find that shows the luminaire's output.

Will it work, yes. How well?????
Over a 2x2 we're talking < 32.5 watts sq ft. minus the fans and driver losses.

This is exactly the kind of thing that drove me to making my home made leds.

Rant over.

Have a happy smiley day.
:tiphat:

Keep goin

Hey Mr. B...

Sorry if you took my post as rude...no tone in text, or posts for that matter. Not meant to be rude toward you..I'm just an emphatic fool, and sometimes it's mistaken. Again I apologize.

tenthirty's post is kinda what I was talking about..or trying to get at.

There seem to be quite a few "short comings" with the lights...both in design and application. THAT to me seems to be something to be more upset about! That's all.

here it is, the final stats .....

overall i was pleased with the xml lamp. as i am seeing in another test grow, these lamps are valuable, but are better suited to small cabinets for a light user. not that the harvest was anything to forget!

working watts of the xml lamp: 130w
cabinets size: 4 sq ft
harvest: 233 grams

the harvest was more smaller scruf, and a few nice prime buds. (i did take a couple of buds away prior to the pic)

my other test grow is proving the more led watts used, the better. the size of these buds are tiny compared to the max led watts of the other grow. if there is no saving on watts, the biggest advantage of led is the reduction of heat and the intense light.

all in all, i am pleased, after all, scruf smokes the same as bud! :biggrin:

Attachments

• Picture 052.jpg
    Picture 052.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 18
  • Picture 056.jpg
    Picture 056.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 11