What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do I need to aerate my reservoir with a pump?

I have a submersed water pump that I use to assist in daily watering. But I have not been aerating the water:nute mix otherwise. The water in the reservoir is shielded from light.

Should I be leaving the pump on 24/7?

Thank you.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Like is this a DWC setup the plants are growing in the reservoir? Or it's a separate reservoir that gets flooded to the plants? I think if the plants are in the reservoir, you want as much oxygen as possible so pumps good. If it's a separate reservoir I think you only need enough oxygen to keep it from being taken over by anaerobic organisms? If the pump is small or the reservoir is large I wouldn't think it would be a problem leaving it running. I think most people problem with pumps 24/7 is that they create heat.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I have never used anything to aerate my rez. It’s only 30 gallons and is empty in 5 days though. I just stir/mix it once a day before I water. I’ve heard that if you aerate it, it will spike your pH. If your rez is automated, you might want to have a mixing pump come on a few minutes before your watering starts.

mack 10

Veteran
you don't have too but most do.
if your ontop of your water changes,
you will slay it.
dude here, Badfish did some amazing bucket grows
a few years back. no airpump.
the size of his plants was something else.

roybart

I have never used anything to aerate my rez. It’s only 30 gallons and is empty in 5 days though. I just stir/mix it once a day before I water. I’ve heard that if you aerate it, it will spike your pH. If your rez is automated, you might want to have a mixing pump come on a few minutes before your watering starts.

Water temperature will influence oxygen intake the colder the water the more oxygen.
Oxygen cannot donate hydrogen ions, or can it accept them.
Pumping is moving water, aeration is adding oxygen by pumping air into the water. Unless you are pumping the water and creating a waterfall.
Get some distilled water and run a bubbler in it.

Measure the pH before and after, let us know the results.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I used a fish tank pump and a stone in the res.
Always figured getting oxygen to the roots was a good thing.

Starmstr

Water temperature will influence oxygen intake the colder the water the more oxygen.
Oxygen cannot donate hydrogen ions, or can it accept them.
Pumping is moving water, aeration is adding oxygen by pumping air into the water. Unless you are pumping the water and creating a waterfall.
Get some distilled water and run a bubbler in it.

Measure the pH before and after, let us know the results.
Do not use distilled water!