What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHO w/TheNewGuy - 2012 Method -

mixed run un purged
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

purged & pulled off the paper with a dabber and piled up
picture.php

chip mode
picture.php

purged & pulled off the paper with a dabber and piled up

what do you use as a "dabber"? do you leave behind any residual honey oil on the wax paper afterwards?

I keep having trouble with the BHO sticking to the wax paper! arrrgh its annoying.

I just save up the leftover wax paper with honey oil on it and smoke it all up LOL:woohoo:

I use a Highly Educated Titanium Dabber from AquaLab.

I only use parchment paper, would never use wax; & no i never have anything remaining on the paper. If you have stuff left behind, try collecting it using a grid pattern, left to right, top to bottom. I've never had anything left behind using that method.

No attachments or adapters needed; the thread pattern is the same size.

only thing that you would have to worry about doing, is putting a High Voltage Cartomizer on a low voltage battery.

eGo batteries are low voltage 3.2-4.8V so only thing to worry about is if you have a high voltage cartomizer (5.0 Ohm - 7.4V) which simply wouldn't have enough power to get the coil to glow hot enough.

gbrandan

Very nice looking hash new guy. I too am mostly a hash smoker, my Ti and some bho is all I need lol I am glad I stumbled across this thread., Great job man.

T

The_Core

Thanks for the Tutorial NewGuy! I really like the pictures. And it was nice that you posted links to everything. You made it a one stop shop to get all the info and equipment I need. +REP

Hi TNG

Beautiful thread you have going here and I love all the pictures you've posted and the in depth tutorial.

I spent the last couple weeks reading through the "BHO for dummies" thread and haven't quite finished yet, but couldn't resist taking what I had learned so far and using it on some sugar leaf trim that I had sitting around from last year's harvest. It didn't come out incredibly pretty (I'm guessing that's because I used old trim rather than fresh dried buds, which I've heard creates the best end product), but it is quite powerful. After a couple days of only being able to melt it on bowls of flower, I was finally able to see it's full potential when my buddy brought over his oil rig with ti nail. This is a guy who only smokes oil and wax from the clubs, and he was blown away by it. Even wanted to buy all of the oil I had at the moment, but I told him he would have to wait until I made a larger batch. Forgot to mention that I also did an iso wash because I had a good amount of "contaminants" in the bho after multiple runs outside.

A couple questions for you...I see that before you "scrape" into a pile, the oil is already in nice little piles on your parchment paper, whereas mine seemed to be a thin layer and maybe a couple nice piles. Is this due to the multiple "heat and purge" steps you take? Also, you said you use a dabber to gather the oil once fully purged. What level of heat is the oil at when you gather, or is it at room temp? And the little piles are relatively easy to gather together on parchment paper?

I used parchment paper as well because I read a comment from someone in the BHO for dummies thread that mentioned it's usefulness in the process...might have been you. But like I mentioned much of it was in a thin film rather than small piles and didn't seem like it would be easy to collect. This could have been because I did a pretty small run and there wasn't enough oil to collect into small pools like that or because I didn't purge enough.

-t4k

You should be able to fold the parchment paper in half, then quickly unfold it again and the oil will remain folded in half. Takes a little practice. The oil neatly comes off of the parchment paper. If your oil is not of the right consistency for this to work (ie too liquid), stick it in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes.

a few questions for you

-t4k

buds yield better because the ratio of resin to plant matter is greatly outweighed.

if you read the edited bold red print in that post, it says that it is best to leave it in a thin film. When this thread was made i wasn't aware that piling it up would make the purge time increase due to layering the butane embedded oil. i had just gotten my equipment and ran 10 batches or so, figured i had a decent method down.

if you are talking about the small droplet puddles in some of the more recent pics, those were originally a solid film/sheet of oil and as it purged it collected together and left spots of bare paper. I will be doing an updated method for 2013 and that will probably be the end of my internet posting.
picture.php

when it comes to the temp of the oil when collecting, i use a mix of heat gun and dabber. basically when i do is warm some of the oil just slightly so the dabber can stick to it and the i start rolling it across the paper. essentially it's like building a snowball, except it ends up coming out more like a log or sometimes a cone.

if your product is soft and gooey.... the freezer can help. i usually do 30 seconds so that it doesn't get shatter hard but easy enough to roll onto the dabber so it can be put into 1 pile for storage.

Lepy

i was told recently that some folks would rather see a boring old bubble-less chip of oil...so here she is
Damn Near Bubble-less Puddle

So After/Before vac how do you get these boring slabs.. I have ppl wanting to see this =/...?

Thanks! :tiphat:

Heads will roll....

buds yield better because the ratio of resin to plant matter is greatly outweighed.

This is logical, though at the moment I only have close trim to run and I'm not sure when I'll get the opportunity to run buds.

if you read the edited bold red print in that post, it says that it is best to leave it in a thin film. When this thread was made i wasn't aware that piling it up would make the purge time increase due to layering the butane embedded oil. i had just gotten my equipment and ran 10 batches or so, figured i had a decent method down.

if you are talking about the small droplet puddles in some of the more recent pics, those were originally a solid film/sheet of oil and as it purged it collected together and left spots of bare paper. I will be doing an updated method for 2013 and that will probably be the end of my internet posting.
View Image
I was referring to the droplet puddles when I said "piles" and I now understand what you mean when you say that it happened while purging. In my first couple batches there wasn't even enough oil to puddle together like that so it didn't happen, but in some of my recent larger batches it does the exact same thing (I extract on to parchment paper as well and purge from there).

Why, might I ask, will the 2013 method be the end of your internet posting?

when it comes to the temp of the oil when collecting, i use a mix of heat gun and dabber. basically when i do is warm some of the oil just slightly so the dabber can stick to it and the i start rolling it across the paper. essentially it's like building a snowball, except it ends up coming out more like a log or sometimes a cone.

if your product is soft and gooey.... the freezer can help. i usually do 30 seconds so that it doesn't get shatter hard but easy enough to roll onto the dabber so it can be put into 1 pile for storage.
My first couple batches were difficult to collect due to viscosity so I had to pop them in the freezer for a minute as you have suggested. My later batches are properly purge and easier to collect, but I usually just collect off the parchment paper that I purged on one hit at a time. If I need to collect it all at once I'll heat it up a bit as I'm sure that will make it easier. Thanks for the help.

-thirst