What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hurricane Irma, Category 5 and heading for Florida!..BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES!

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I can't answer specifically for modern code in Florida. Probably the main basis for my statement comes from sheetrockers. They know perfectly well that sheetrock can't stand up to any abuse; but, unless tons of money are spent on a place, that's your interior wall. So because its (1) pretty much in everything, and (2) ruined if any major damage happens, they're quite happy to make repairs to a standing structure, or replace the total losses.

There probably are a bunch of things in America that can handle a category 1, however, I'm sort of comparing that to say, buildings in France that can take 200 years of Mistral wind and lose a few roof tiles. Also, I may be mistaken, but I believe the vast majority of U. S. houses would not be acceptably strong for German code, where they probably get some decent storms but not hurricanes.

Florida as a whole, and anyone with a vast fortune, can have something a little stronger, but it would seem to be a reasonable assessment that a large portion of U. S. coastal areas still have a significant number of average houses and mobile homes that have a grim outlook versus any powerful hurricane.
many of those old 'Brit/European' buildings were built back then with weed in the concrete. makes one wonder about planned obsolescents.

St. Phatty

Good news for East Coast surfers

Jose is a Cat 1 about 1000 miles East of Miami.

Forecast to be headed North NorthWest by Saturday.

Should provide good long period swell from Florida to Rhode Island. :woohoo:

Without destroying homes so the surfers might still be able to get a room at Motel 6.

at201712.gif

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Good news for East Coast surfers

Jose is a Cat 1 about 1000 miles East of Miami.

Forecast to be headed North NorthWest by Saturday.

Should provide good long period swell from Florida to Rhode Island. :woohoo:

Without destroying homes so the surfers might still be able to get a room at Motel 6.

View Image
the sliver lining :biggrin: :tiphat:

WelderDan

Veteran
I never lost power, or cable and Internet. Did lose a few sections of fence. Now I'll have to drop $25 on a few fence posts. I was really lucky. There's a guy at work that still doesn't have power. I'm going to invest in a generator though, and some propane tanks for my propane burner. The old Coleman stove died.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I like dual fuel liquid stoves...Yeehaw..Just ordered a new generator for mine...EBay was cheaper than Coleman lol..I keep a 533 in the car

Badfishy1

I never lost power, or cable and Internet. Did lose a few sections of fence. Now I'll have to drop $25 on a few fence posts. I was really lucky. There's a guy at work that still doesn't have power. I'm going to invest in a generator though, and some propane tanks for my propane burner. The old Coleman stove died.

I feel his pain...

Badfishy1

Wish you luck Badfishy.. still its pretty far away..https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

she can change direction

Yeah not too worried at the moment. Still a ways away. Honestly, not really 'worried' when it approaches. I've lived here all my life and it's just part of living in 'paradise'. Just an annoyance more than anything. Nothing to get worry about or get upset about. Sure no power sucks... but if you ever have seen the time sheets for the lineman, you will understand they are doing the MOST they can do. This morning I saw linemen from Connecticut working the lines. So seems pretty obvious they power companies are doing the most they can do!

St. Phatty

This morning I saw linemen from Connecticut working the lines. So seems pretty obvious they power companies are doing the most they can do!

I must say, the rates I'm hearing are mighty attractive.

$300 an hour (a double or triple overtime rate) & 100 hour weeks.

Though 100 hour weeks & safety seem contradict-whatever.

I like playing with high voltage. Obviously I wouldn't be trained till next year at the earliest but ... $300 an hour ?

hazyfontazy

Veteran
I must say, the rates I'm hearing are mighty attractive.

$300 an hour (a double or triple overtime rate) & 100 hour weeks.

Though 100 hour weeks & safety seem contradict-whatever.

I like playing with high voltage. Obviously I wouldn't be trained till next year at the earliest but ... $300 an hour ?

thats a massive wage ,,
is that the normal for hv guys or just cause of the hurricane ?

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
linemen getting paid lawyers hourly rates....and they probably deserve it much more than lawyers do..lol

I hope that you all get your lives back on track soon, whoever was afflicted by this disaster

Floridian

Veteran
Man I hope people are getting the help they need many lost pets and some family members,once again Tampa avoided a major clusterfuck we have been so lucky through the years.I hate seeing all the destruction man sometimes I feel guily and definitely very lucky,my cousin in plant city got the shit knocked out of his house,Tampa skates as usual with minor damage except for the Bayfront and that wasn't near as bad as it could have been.Our luck keeps rollin on and on