What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hurricane Irma, Category 5 and heading for Florida!..BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES!

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
The island of Barbuda got 90% trashed!

My thoughts are with those people, and anyone affected by this Super-Typhoon/Hurricane.

GainGreene

It's pretty much a hurry up and wait situation. It's a strong tide already with a new moon add the storm surge and many homes will be flooded with the ocean waters. I found a snook in my front yard after Andrew. Here is the problem too many folks have been thru Cat 1-2 not a Cat 4-5 major difference. In Fl you only have 3 main routes north I-75, Turnpike(which merges with I-75 near Ocala) then I-95. Turnpike is mainly 2 lanes for 100s of miles and can take all day(if you are lucky no accidents). Most people waited until the last minute to evacuate if they are going to be crazy traffic. Hoping this mean girl pushes off the coast a bit like said before. I really feel for these folks in the Caribbean islands. Many very small places that are more beautiful than the next you have never heard of. They said everyone in the state will have tropical force winds at the minimum.

Hoping for the best prepared for the worst.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
If they left 2-3 days ago, good planning.. leaving today or tomorrow... re..dickaless.. no gas & where are ya gonna go to? You'd end up going thru the storm in your vehicle, parked somewhere with 200 others.. bring protection.. not condoms.

Floridian

Veteran
You've got 75 and 95 north with 275 to get you just north of Tampa,just not a lot of options to choose from.I don't believe in global warming /hurricanes lol so I'm staying put!Just kidding of course man I hope everyone will be fine this looks really bad

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
This Hurricane is the size of Texas and if the projected path is right (according to the meteorologists), then it will rage straight up thru Florida starting at the keys, and if it stays at a category 5 till it reaches Miami, then it's going to cause all sorts of nasty destruction....bringing much grief to many.

Someone mentioned to me that currently Miami has several large construction cranes that can only withstand winds up to 140mph, so if this storm has winds over that speed then they will collapse like skittles in a bowling alley..

I do hope that everyone in it's path manages to get the heck out of there.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Im in west central Florida. south florida looks fucked - no other way to say it. But having lived here most of my life and having watched many hurricanes go nowhere near their projected paths, all you can do is prepare as much as possible and hope for the best.

Just hoping she stays in the Atlantic and doesn't get into the Gulf - that could get ugly for any and all of the states that surround the Gulf of Mexico.

SurfdOut

Veteran
Man, the Keys gonna take a beating. My dad and friends should be ok in Cocoa and N Symrna.

igrowone

Veteran
watching the latest track, it is slipping westwards
not saying its going to keep doing that, but the forecast line is shifting away from miami
could it miss florida? never know, if it hits cuba it will lose a lot of power

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
The remnants of Harvey went past my house two days after it left Houston. We got 7 inches of rain in 12 hours.

Now Irma's remnants is going to be overhead, Wednesday, 2 am.

St. Phatty

Key West is up to 88.9 ... up a degree since 2 days ago.

Given the role surface water temps play in storm formation - and that Jose is already a Cat 4 ... and knowing that Miami AND Disneyworld are forecast to receive direct hits from Irma ... HOLEY FvCKING MOLEY.

Last year it became obvious that we were dealing with a whole new rain-storm system. Our previous record for the driveway getting washed out was, once a year.

Last year it was washed out 3 times. The brute force response is 10 cubic yards of gravel, $285.

I remember the conversations we had after the 2nd wash-out. Like, "you know, the weather is on a whole new plane. Why don't we wait a week before we throw on some more gravel ?"

So we waited a week, had ANOTHER heavy storm.

Harvey Irma was looking like a Bodacious Hellatious 1-2 punch.

Now I wonder if Hurricane Jose is going to make it a 1-2-3 punch.

I see sort of similar behavior sometimes in financial markets. We live in a mostly linear world, so we tend to think things will behave ... linearly.

In the Silver markets, it became obvious for a period of time that it was operating on a log scale.

Anyway, I wonder if Mother Nature changed 'scales' on us. Part of that change would be what almost happened to Irma - she got real close to being a Cat 6.

Floridian

Veteran
Of course I just got brand new bedroom and living room furniture from rooms to go lol it may have a lifespan of 3 or 4 days the way things are looking.I've lived here over 20 years and have never seen a projected path like this,I'd like to be as calm as you DP but I'm afraid tampa and points just west are going to be fucked unless it takes a hard right after destroying Miami,poor folks. I'd hate to be there.Man I was moving back into my house this weekend after taking care of mama the last 8 months and staying in her house a couple miles from mine.Man this was supposed to be a happy week for me now it doesn't look so fun at all.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Given how often the area gets these things, how come everything seems to get built out of wood? I'd expect heavy duty wind farms, wave power generators and hurricane proof buildings to be standard by now. Just lucky in the UK I guess. 2 weeks of sun and 50 weeks of clouds seems a good deal right now.

mack 10

Veteran
Hope y'all are ok.
That thing is a monster.

When they say evacuate, where are you spose to go when the storm is country wide?
Out of state ?
Be safe.

WelderDan

Veteran
My home is built like a fortress. Going to board up the windows tomorrow & put away the deck chairs & garbage cans and pick up some ice. Got plenty of water (plus a pool full), a water filter, Coleman stove, Coleman lantern, 4 gallons of Coleman fuel, lots of candles, 3 ice chests, charcoal, a chain saw and plenty of ammo in case of wannabe looters. Not my first rodeo by a long shot.

Dog Star

Veteran
Wish best to folks that stand on path of that menace.. it dont look good those that happend in Barbuda,hope huriccane loose strenght..