What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hochstrom, Filtering, and making clear distillate

BigJohnny

I'm waiting for my hochstrom kit to come in, and having a hard time finding information on some things, namely the process needed to produce high potency, possibly water-clear distillate.

So I get that you would winterize the BHO, then run it through the stage 1, 2 and 3 filters until there is no coagulation.....right?

but then how is the carbon and silika pulver used for? Is the silica used to make a filtration bed to filter out the carbon?

MrSpectre

Summit has instructions on their website under "treasure chest"

yes the silica is used as a bed to filter out the carbon

mobin

future4200 on instagram outlines some of his SOP for processing with chilled ethanol extraction, carbon scrub, first pass, hexane/saline polish, carbon/bentonite treatment for colorless higher in d8.

magnesium silicate 60a (florisil) scrubbing with polar solvents to carry seems to be the trick to high d9 colorless.

follow procedures for edible food oil processing. learn the types of degumming (phys, chemical, enzyme) and employ a procedure that works for you to thoroughly degum.

steam deodorization to chase away smells and tastes.

multiple types of lipid removal are key. just the freezer aint gonna cut it. chelating agents are of good use here.

there's always more.

BigJohnny

alright, so the silica is used to remove the carbon dust, are the silica and/or carbon reusable or is that consumable stuff?

someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but with the equipment I have my process would be something like this??

1) Make BHO from CLS
2) Decarb BHO
3) Add BHO to ethanol, 1 part BHO to 10 parts ethanol??
4) Chill, filter through stage 1, Chill, Filter through stage 2, Chill, Filter through stage 3.... OR Chill, then filter through stage 1 2 and 3?
5) Rotovap
6) Distill through short path distiller.
7) Ethanol soak again, add carbon.
8) Chill?, Filter through silica to pull out carbon.
9) Rotovap again
10) Collect clean distillate????

not sure if those steps are in order so I'm looking for some guidance there.

as I don't have hexane just yet, what kind of product would the final result look like after going through the process mentioned above? (if the above is in the correct order)

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was at Summit Research's site, and since hexane has been brought up... Summit has pentane, five gallons for $175, and fifty-five gallons for $1,500.

Pentane is as non-polar as hexane, has a much lower boiling point, and is less toxic.

My personal thanks to the guys at Summit. :tiphat:

https://summit-research.tech/product-category/chemicals/

Twenty liters (with Hazmat fee) at Right Price Chemicals is $375,

https://www.rightpricechemicals.com/buy-n-pentane-99-online.html

Summit's silica powder,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViQ72JNxgvE

Last edited:

mobin

alright, so the silica is used to remove the carbon dust, are the silica and/or carbon reusable or is that consumable stuff?

someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but with the equipment I have my process would be something like this??

1) Make BHO from CLS
2) Decarb BHO
3) Add BHO to ethanol, 1 part BHO to 10 parts ethanol??
4) Chill, filter through stage 1, Chill, Filter through stage 2, Chill, Filter through stage 3.... OR Chill, then filter through stage 1 2 and 3?
5) Rotovap
6) Distill through short path distiller.
7) Ethanol soak again, add carbon.
8) Chill?, Filter through silica to pull out carbon.
9) Rotovap again
10) Collect clean distillate????

not sure if those steps are in order so I'm looking for some guidance there.

as I don't have hexane just yet, what kind of product would the final result look like after going through the process mentioned above? (if the above is in the correct order)

without any sort of degumming no matter what pretty yellowish distillate flows it will brown in short time. Without deodorization there will always be some lingering terps and their breakdown products floating around which taint everything. There are a lot of residual phosphitides that can't be taken away without some extra processes that a good winterization and carbon scrub won't accomplish. there are a lot of water soluble components you can remove with that saline/nonpolar procedure....like some pesticides. as for the other pesticides....

BigJohnny

without any sort of degumming no matter what pretty yellowish distillate flows it will brown in short time. Without deodorization there will always be some lingering terps and their breakdown products floating around which taint everything. There are a lot of residual phosphitides that can't be taken away without some extra processes that a good winterization and carbon scrub won't accomplish. there are a lot of water soluble components you can remove with that saline/nonpolar procedure....like some pesticides. as for the other pesticides....

There are no pesticides on the product I'm spraying/distilling, that's a known.

I thought the water content in ethanol would help pull out some of the water soluable compounds.

Anyway, I still don't have the filter yet, so it's all research for right now

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i scored EMD milipore 60 silica in a 1kg container for $28 on amazon recently, before they corrected their market to the $136 price tag :D

I successfully bought HiMedia solvents via Amazon, is this silica suitable?

HiMedia GRM7477-500G Silica Gel 60-120 Mesh, 500 g/$25

https://www.amazon.com/HiMedia-GRM7...rd_wg=NmNQ7&psc=1&refRID=ZC8YW0C79KEMS21REWSA

Product info,

https://www.himedialabs.com/TD/GRM7477.pdf

Here's a link to the HiMedia catalog page showing their silica offerings,

https://himedialabs.com/catalogue/chemical2017/index.html#227

If the links don't work for you, go to HiMedia's site and search for GRM7477, their whole catalog is uploaded to browse through, and I'll bet you a quarter they'll get you nearly anything via Amazon if you ask.

Last edited:
There are no pesticides on the product I'm spraying/distilling, that's a known.

I thought the water content in ethanol would help pull out some of the water soluable compounds.

Anyway, I still don't have the filter yet, so it's all research for right now

Water will only pull something out if you separate it from your solution. Since you purge ethanol without separation, whatever water-solubles are present remain present.

BigJohnny

Water will only pull something out if you separate it from your solution. Since you purge ethanol without separation, whatever water-solubles are present remain present.

oh ok, I see, so that would be the point of a saline wash? I believe it was on summit's site that they mentioned the water content in ethanol being benefical in that regard......
Why saline and not just distilled water?

At what point during the process if any of this washing done?

So far I'm basically just at the 3 stages of filtration and carbon scrub. Beyond that I'm not sure what's needed and when it's needed during the process to further clarify the product.

In the end I'd like to be able to make water clear or as close to it as possible, because even with distillate my tolerance is insanely high. So if I could get as close to 99% as I can I'd be a really happy camper.

I've had my stuff tested and it comes back at 80% THC right now. and that's doing nothing more than making/decarbing BHO, then putting it into the short path unit or distillation....and if I'm being honest, I don't fully understand that whole process either, but I'm doing fairly well with the information I've found about it so far.

mobin

I successfully bought HiMedia solvents via Amazon, is this silica suitable?

HiMedia GRM7477-500G Silica Gel 60-120 Mesh, 500 g/$25

https://www.amazon.com/HiMedia-GRM7...rd_wg=NmNQ7&psc=1&refRID=ZC8YW0C79KEMS21REWSA

Product info,

https://www.himedialabs.com/TD/GRM7477.pdf

Here's a link to the HiMedia catalog page showing their silica offerings,

https://himedialabs.com/catalogue/chemical2017/index.html#227

If the links don't work for you, go to HiMedia's site and search for GRM7477, their whole catalog is uploaded to browse through, and I'll bet you a quarter they'll get you nearly anything via Amazon if you ask.

looks like its about 80% 60 mesh, should work great. silica is the best filter aid ever. no clogs.

mobin

oh ok, I see, so that would be the point of a saline wash?
Why saline and not just distilled water?

At what point during the process if any of this washing done?

So far I'm basically just at the 3 stages of filtration and carbon scrub. Beyond that I'm not sure what's needed and when it's needed during the process to further clarify the product.

In the end I'd like to be able to make water clear or as close to it as possible, because even with distillate my tolerance is insanely high. So if I could get as close to 99% as I can I'd be a really happy camper.

you're gonna have to catch up on the reading behind this shit, or at least give us consultants a kickback :D

the salt helps convert non-hydrateable phosphitides so they can be washed away by the water. with just DI/distilled water you're gonna be leaving behind a lot of gums. Even with the saline wash there are still components to be rid of.

if you want 99%, you've got a LOT of procedure/reading to catch up on, or at least be prepared to lose a ton of yield to absorbants.

mobin

oh and summit is talking about the ethanol/water bit in relation to the photon_noir NDA, essentially you want some water in there because it helps azeotrope volatilies out of the load flask and aids in component separation.

also 80% distillate isn't too common. unless you're coookin away and degrading for the majority of your distillation. where are you located?

BigJohnny

you're gonna have to catch up on the reading behind this shit, or at least give us consultants a kickback :D

the salt helps convert non-hydrateable phosphitides so they can be washed away by the water. with just DI/distilled water you're gonna be leaving behind a lot of gums. Even with the saline wash there are still components to be rid of.

if you want 99%, you've got a LOT of procedure/reading to catch up on, or at least be prepared to lose a ton of yield to absorbants.

I barely get much kickback myself lol. But If I could I would.

I'm happy to read up on it, but I'm honestly having a hard time finding the relevant info. So if you have any helpful links I'd be more than pleased to pour over them. Even some decent search terms for the forum might help too.

I've tried to read through "the clear" thread, but I honestly end up getting all ADD and suddenly I'm watching cat videos.

I have been through summits treasure chest as well, frequently, but I find their information to be a bit jumbled, as if Elliot had been consuming a little too much of his own product lol.

I don't expect to have 99% overnight by all means, and am aware that there is a whole process involved, so I've just been taking things one step at a time.

Once my hochstrom package arrives and I get the hang of that process I'll move on to further purifying it..... I'm pretty sure I have all the equipment at this point.

BigJohnny

also 80% distillate isn't too common. unless you're coookin away and degrading for the majority of your distillation. where are you located?

Well, this is informative. That may be exactly what's happening and if so I'd like to correct it. I follow summits instructions for distillation, but it's clear then that I have a lot more to learn about this process too (I already knew that though, just don't know what I don't know)

mobin

I barely get much kickback myself lol. But If I could I would.

I'm happy to read up on it, but I'm honestly having a hard time finding the relevant info. So if you have any helpful links I'd be more than pleased to pour over them. Even some decent search terms for the forum might help too.

I've tried to read through "the clear" thread, but I honestly end up getting all ADD and suddenly I'm watching cat videos.

I have been through summits treasure chest as well, frequently, but I find their information to be a bit jumbled, as if Elliot had been consuming a little too much of his own product lol.

I don't expect to have 99% overnight by all means, and am aware that there is a whole process involved, so I've just been taking things one step at a time.

Once my hochstrom package arrives and I get the hang of that process I'll move on to further purifying it..... I'm pretty sure I have all the equipment at this point.

well i guess i could make an info purge here, but itd be slow and time consuming. you got gmail by chance?

i could send you valuable info, you process it and as a token of gratitude you post back your learnings and relevant links here and to the main clear info threads.... :D

caution, while i feel im a lil bit better than ol eli kremm at explaining some shit, i can cause the cat video reaction as well :D

mobin

picture.php

great example of some of the poopy gums that make their way out.

have fun cleaning where you dump the water too :D lotsa borax works for that.

i remember the first time i saw colorless like it was yesterday.
picture.php

Well, this is informative. That may be exactly what's happening and if so I'd like to correct it. I follow summits instructions for distillation, but it's clear then that I have a lot more to learn about this process too (I already knew that though, just don't know what I don't know)
I would warn you the a lot of the stuff posted on Summit's site is either not possible to understand or is completely wrong. When the site first went up it was ridiculous. Probably 50% of the info was completely false. That percentage has gotten better with time but it's still a minefield. Just make sure you verify everything like its fake news.

Take a look at the tutorial section of our website. It's now open to everyone and has lots of good info up. If you have questions let me know. I'm also going to add a bunch more info in the next couple of days. Check back for updates or shoot me a pm and I'll send you a word doc via email.

mobin

I would warn you the a lot of the stuff posted on Summit's site is either not possible to understand or is completely wrong. When the site first went up it was ridiculous. Probably 50% of the info was completely false. That percentage has gotten better with time but it's still a minefield. Just make sure you verify everything like its fake news.

Take a look at the tutorial section of our website. It's now open to everyone and has lots of good info up. If you have questions let me know. I'm also going to add a bunch more info in the next couple of days. Check back for updates or shoot me a pm and I'll send you a word doc via email.

his tutorials are great, you gotta do all sorts of extra reading to "understand" :D

i was gonna pm you but you need some posts, theres some ass on ebay offin your heads for $900, delta9tech or somethin....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-20-L-Jum...196170?hash=item33d30d4c4a:g:ogoAAOSwxg9ZbCDC
i've been tempted to grab that damn ol fatass head you sell :D