What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

So perfect cure RH is 62% But what about....

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
the temperature? As in when you measure 62% RH at 30C that is a lot more water content that the air can hold then at 15C.

so 62% isnt the same at the far end of those ranges, and I don't see anyone attaching a specific temp to the 62% so what gives.

What am I missing...

Cvh

Supermod
Personnaly I find 62% a bit too moist. Just below 60 is better for my liking. 55-60 something.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Thats good to hear. I had some stuff over dry while I was out of town and it was 58% and I was worried it was too dry to cure. Since then Ive put in wet paper towel into the bin and Im at 60% now. They weren't super dense nugs and I want to do a final fine trim and don't want them to get damaged or crumble form handling.

Ollie

Veteran
Boveda 58% works great, especially for long term storage & curing.

I would keep (if possible), the temperature around 60-65 degrees fahrenheit.

M

metsäkana

depends do you leave leafs on or dry hole plant big stocks take really long to dry also early cutted mature little bit if dryed hole plant i think, over mature plant i would not dry holeplant in +60%

Seems like its 50/50 in most cases with boveda, there are the ones which prefer the 58s and then there are the ones who prefer the 62s.
So here is a challenging question. If we put at both a 58 and a 62 in, will we end up with 60% relative humidity? :)

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not sure, but I have used 70% packs to rehydrate 62's after they become grainy.

Ollie

Veteran
So here is a challenging question. If we put at both a 58 and a 62 in, will we end up with 60% relative humidity? :)
I was about to write during my initial post, that it seems with the two sides of preferences, a 60% would might be the sweet spot.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I do not think that putting wet towels in the jar will raise the water content of the bud, they aren't sponges, so no, I don't think it works that way.
Yes, it will raise the humidity in the jar though..

EDIT: and blue dye in the water isn't going to make Blueberry... ;-)
EDIT2: the temp vs RH??? dono but 50%rh @ 72*F household temps keep my 60%rh buds at 60%.. guess its all personal.
60% gives me good vape density and if I leave it sit a day after grinding its perfect for joints.. vaping in public is to obvious.
EDIT3: I'm sorry, first 4 hits of the day.. a little dementia .. that's 60%rh in the bottles..

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
I appreciate the excitement here guys but I just want to point out we are straying from answering the main question. Irregardless of whatever the best RH is, but for example lets say its 60%, that 60%RH at 15C does not represent the same water content in the air(and in the bud) as 60% RH measured at 25C. I think there is an issue there, but maybe there isn't and Im overthinking, but go ahead and go down that path if you can enlighten me. ;)

KONY

Veteran
I do not think that putting wet towels in the jar will raise the water content of the bud, they aren't sponges, so no, I don't think it works that way.
Yes, it will raise the humidity in the jar though..

Actually that is exactly the way it works, however it takes longer than most people think. Raise the RH in the jar, and it will naturally rehydrate the buds, however it takes a solid 48 hours if they are overdried to begin with. At first they will feel overly wet on the outside, gotta wait for that moisture to spread to the middle.

With that said, many people dont realize that using RH packs are not ideal and definitely steal terps from the weed. They should only be used in a worst case scenario, anyone that sells there weed automatically with these packs, or uses them everytime to cure is doing themselves and their customers a disservice.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Has anyone quantified this claim of Boveda "stealing terpenes"?

I mean even if they absorbed terpenes from the air, these were no longer present on the flower anyway. At least that is my thinking.

I do notice flower rehydrated with packs has less of a nose, but then that goes for any type of rehydrated flower, no?

I do agree with your last statement though, Kony.

Just to further the offtopic.

I appreciate the excitement here guys but I just want to point out we are straying from answering the main question. Irregardless of whatever the best RH is, but for example lets say its 60%, that 60%RH at 15C does not represent the same water content in the air(and in the bud) as 60% RH measured at 25C. I think there is an issue there, but maybe there isn't and Im overthinking, but go ahead and go down that path if you can enlighten me. ;)
Yes good point. Say we have our sealed container in equilibrium at 62% RH and the temperature is 25 deg C. If the temperature was then to fall to say 15 deg C, then there will be excess moisture in the air for that temperature and we would be risking condensation in the container. Does the Boveda prevent this by moping up this excess moisture and bring the container back to equilibrium at 62%?

So I guess the question is, does Boveda maintain a stable RH independently of temperature? I have read previously that Boveda is better for adding moisture to the product than absorbing moisture. If the Boveda fails to adequately mop up excess moisture when the temperature falls significantly then that would be a major weakness of the design.

G

Gr33nSanta

I bought a 12 pack of 58% boveda, still a bit too wet for my liking but still good. The 62% was just way way too wet for my liking.

I have had mixed results with boveda packs, I dont exactly know how or when, but there is this one time the end product smelled like hay, it was my first time since the very first time I tried curing buds that I ended up with a real hay smell on a cultivar that always cure to a nice smell.

I dont think I ll ever bother with boveda again, I have 11 unopened packs...

Drewsif

Has anyone quantified this claim of Boveda "stealing terpenes"?

I mean even if they absorbed terpenes from the air, these were no longer present on the flower anyway. At least that is my thinking.

I do notice flower rehydrated with packs has less of a nose, but then that goes for any type of rehydrated flower, no?

I do agree with your last statement though, Kony.

Just to further the offtopic.

Terpenes form and get loud through a natural process. Adding moisture undoes this process. The terps leave the resin and soak into the plant fiber naturally. Cannabis IS a sponge. 3 drops of water can turn a rock hard ounce into flexible fresh texture in about an hour or less.

The only good way to rehydrate is with fruit (not peels, fruit) takes a couple hours. No paper taste, no tap water taste, no rehydrated taste , no bitter rind taste. No mold from playing around wetting your weed all weekend.

Cannabis is a SPONGE. Put a dry paper towel in with a wet ounce. It will be wet in an hour. The moisture transfers to where it's lowest. What it smell like reveals a lot about your drying. Everything fibrous is a SPONGE for smell and moisture.

domacin

the temperature? As in when you measure 62% RH at 30C that is a lot more water content that the air can hold then at 15C.

so 62% isnt the same at the far end of those ranges, and I don't see anyone attaching a specific temp to the 62% so what gives.

What am I missing...

the percentages means that content isnt relative

62% at 30C has the same water content (amount, for example 10ml) as 62% at 15C

:tiphat:

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
the percentages means that content isnt relative

62% at 30C has the same water content (amount, for example 10ml) as 62% at 15C

:tiphat:

Does it though ? LOL... Its called relative humidity for a reason, the percentage it gives you (most hygrometers use relative humidity) is the total amount of water in the air based on the total water the air could possibly hold. The hotter the air, the more water it could hold, the colder the air, the less it holds. so 62% relative humidity at 30C is not the same amount of water in the air as at 15C. thats why you get condensation if air cools down and air is max saturated with water.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=423214&stc=1&d=1502243180

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 7.44.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 7.44.11 PM.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Latest posts