What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Scotts OG & Agent Orange

Goats

Just want to show you guys what Im working with. The set up and environment I found was the biggest challenge when getting started, wanted to give it some attention during the introduction to the bloom room!

10" Vortex S-line Fan, on a dial a temp, running at 142 Watts
10" by 40" Mountain Air Charcoal Filter
Its loud, its overkill, but I have crazy negative pressure in the room, so no smells leak, and it keeps the temps down, I don't have AC so.
View Image

Digital Ballasts
View Image

Bell LR1000's
Dirt cheap and available locally, nice big footprint, Coating is 98% Reflective and lasts 30 Years with no degradation.
View Image
View Image

The reservoirs
15G each, I mix my solution and ph it, bubble it for 5 mins before feeding every night. 1 Res lasts for about a week, for 1200W (half the room) though I have had them go for 3 weeks with no issues

View Image

i use the exact same garbage bin to mix and top-up from as well. choice was one of those, or a $75 reservoir from the hydro store. no issues whatsoever so far, i think we made the right choice.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Hey good thread. Reminds me of the old school grow jornals. Keep up the good work. What do you think of the scotts og??

Someone else also said this reminded them of the oldshool seed run threads. Not sure what it is that Im doing but, Il take it as a compliment, thanks! But it could also just be that I'm doing things how they were done 10 years ago. Im a little late to the game so catching up haha

Ive got 2 phenos out of the Scotts OG, one a little more short with dense secondary growth (OG3), the other more of the typical viney long og style (OG5).Stretch wasn't too bad either, Im on day 14 so I think most of it is over, I think stretch was less than 2X. I would say 1.75 LOL

I don't have much to compare it to, so Im pretty pleased so far. OG5 did root already in around 10 days so thats good considering I wasn't bothering to dial in my cloning chamber to perfect conditions. Just had them on the floor of the bloom room, and then during lights off I had them sitting on my toiled by the window.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
i use the exact same garbage bin to mix and top-up from as well. choice was one of those, or a $75 reservoir from the hydro store. no issues whatsoever so far, i think we made the right choice.

Yeah I try to avoid Hydro Stores in general. Overpriced, don't need to take the extra risk, and he's always trying to tell me whats best haha.

I remember doing a bunch of research and was set on mountain air filters, when I called him to place an order he told me no "that one no good. I have cann filter, its better." Needless to say, I did not order from him.

But yeah Garbage can, $15 CAD at RONA

Last edited:

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
These are from yesterday - DAY 19

picture.php

Scott's OG #3
picture.php

Scott's OG #5
picture.php

2 of the AO's
picture.php
picture.php

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Males

Males

Everything I read said 4-5 Weeks for pollen. Well these started busting nuts at 14 days, when I had them in the bloom room a fan blowing right behind them! I moved them out right away and found this nice little closet with CFLs and there doing just fine, no fan or nothing on 12/12.

waiting for more sacs to open before I start collecting...

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Pretty sure the 4-5 weeks on the pollen, was meant about seeds ripening. Most males I have run start dropping pollen at 2-3 weeks in. Those are all Scott's OG males ? One of my favorite varieties right now was made with Scott's OG pollen. Deathstar x Scott's OG = Lost Ship. The one used brought some serious OG funk to the table.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Pretty sure the 4-5 weeks on the pollen, was meant about seeds ripening. Most males I have run start dropping pollen at 2-3 weeks in. Those are all Scott's OG males ? One of my favorite varieties right now was made with Scott's OG pollen. Deathstar x Scott's OG = Lost Ship. The one used brought some serious OG funk to the table.

2-3 Weeks, ok that makes sense then. 2 are OA's and 2 are Scotts OG. I chose 2 different looking phenos from each to get some more variety in my seeds for some good pheno hunting in the future.

Pretty happy with the OG's so far, Nice and Viney like Og's have been described to be, stinky stem rub, and all 8 plants were very uniform, too bad only 2 were females, will pop 3 more seeds when they get here in a week to see what else i can get, but Ive taken a quite a few cuttings from these and think they are good ones.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
DAY 28

DAY 28

Cranked up the HPS from 750W to 1000W around day 20. They had stretched and filled out enough to cover a 4 by 5 foot area.

picture.php

LEFT TO RIGHT

AO4,OG3,AO2
picture.php

OG3 - Starting to like this one more than the OG5 even though it is a little smaller, it is flowering faster, stronger smell and looks to yield more.

picture.php

picture.php

I decided to kill seeds program guys. First off, my 20 clones got slightly seeded by those males even though they were on day 10-14. Caught me by surprise, thought I was lucky, but I now see quite a few seeds in a lot of those clones. But the main reason is that there just not opening up there sacks beyond just a few off them. the rest fall off when I shake the plant and Im not able to collect any pollen. It might be the low light wattage (50 watts cfl) or no air movement in the closet. Either way I wasn't planning on having to grow them out separately, and I can't put them with my vegging plants because those shop lights are just 1 foot off the ground. Just more work than I was willing to put in, to be honest I don't know when and where I would grow out all these chucked seeds. I will just get my moneys worth, doing run after run of the keeper cuts. In a few years I probably would want to grow something new anyways. I will revisit the seed making thing at a later stage in my growing years.

Also I would take more pics but I feel quality is no good, as my canon camera battery charger isn't working so Im just taking pictures with my iPhone. Nonetheless I will attempt at taking pics 10 mins before lights on with the flash to see how they turn out.

Other than that, they are all coming along nicely. Will describe my favourite pheno's on next weeks post with hopefully some nice pics and macros!

Last edited:

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
hey PaulieWaulie,

looking good! I like that you have males around! ;) keep us posted!

AV

Hello person, welcome to this place.

Killed all the males off, not sure if you saw that in one of the last updates. I didn't have a dedicated grow area for them, or space in my veg area, so had to give up the seed project. Well they got the last laugh in the end. What little pollen they produced that I thought wasn't going to do anything stuck on my hands and when I fondled my Female Seeds Run I impregnated every single bud and ended up with over 1000 seeds ruining my crop. I had no idea this stuff was so potent. So for a newbie like me its like playing with fire.

Update coming later today on the ladies ! just getting pics ready. so much work to upload them on here. ughhhh. If i could select them straight from google photos id be doing updates every day.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
DAY 44

DAY 44

These are DAY 44, taken Sunday Night. Got a new phone where the camera is better, as well I set up some LED work floodlights 15 mins before lights on. All for you guys! Day 37-43 I lowered nutrients from 600 to 500.Started giving plain water on day 44 as well. Doing 10 Days of plain water, then 3X container size flush, and then 10 days thereafter. Planning on chopping right at 62-64 Days.

Scotts OG

This being my first OG, I think I get it now haha. The smell is very lemony pinesol, can't stop smelling my fingers and smiling every time I am in the room around them. Enjoying the viney structure and dense golf ball nugs too. Think I got a good introduction into the OG strains with this one from scott.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
AO's

I think I only have 1 indica leaning pheno, the rest are more sativa even though some of them are still very short and stocky but have the slim leaves. Noreason had 10 females all indica leaning and dense caked buds and very purple. Grass is always greener on the other side I suppose. Odd how different ours are though. I hope they put on weight and dense up because it doesn't seem to thick when giving them a squeeze. and lots of larf too. Even though I lollipopped and have a lot of light hitting them. Might be a good strain to start my experimententing with defoliating on the next run. Then again they do describe that they pack on lots of weight in the last few weeks, and on the TGA website the Sativa one is pictured mostly.

Also if anyone can give me some feedback on why the edges of the leaves are pointing up? Its not the full on taco curl-I know that is heat issues, but temps are 15-20 at night and 20-23 during lights on. Its just the little tips of the serrated edges raising up. I have been noticing it on and off over the last year and am still trying to figure out what it means when it happens. Im thinking its similar to the tip burn meaning too many nutes. Usually I will back off and it doesn't get worse, but doesn't go away once they are up. Humidity is around 40-60 usually as well.... any ideas on this is welcome.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:

Kimura

could they maybe want a little more magnesium?

what nutrients are you using? sorry, im sure you already said it somewhere but i probably missed it...

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
could they maybe want a little more magnesium?

what nutrients are you using? sorry, im sure you already said it somewhere but i probably missed it...

Hi Kimura, nice to see you drop in! Pure blend Pro Bloom 600 ppm total inc my 200 ppm tap which has magnesium in it as well, around 15 ppm I think the water report stated. Im not getting any interveinal yellowing, with should be occurring in lower growth as its a mobile nutrient. My run off has been 850 on average for most of flowering so there is excess nutrients in the medium, but not too much either to be the issue.

Its not causing any problems, and its a minor thing, just thought I would throw it out there for you more skilled growers to chime in on, as I have not figured this one out yet. Pretty sure its the precursor to some nutrient problem as I had read before from another user reporting similar experience.

Kimura

idk if that curling is from magnesium specifically, but i feel like i remember that sometimes being a symptom of low mag. and magnesium is super important to the plants. they need it for photosynthesis. 15ppm isn't enough imho.

do you use calmag? i recommend grabbing a bottle of botanicares calmag and sweet. use calmag for the first 4 weeks, or until that stretch stops, then switch over to the sweet. calmag has too much N to use past the stretch, and sweet is your magnesium, sulfur, and carbs.

check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdfClTH_mxc

IDK if that helps you, but trust me, get calmag and sweet.

Last edited:

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
idk if that curling is from magnesium specifically, but i feel like i remember that sometimes being a symptom of low mag. and magnesium is super important to the plants. they need it for photosynthesis. 15ppm isn't enough imho.

do you use calmag? i recommend grabbing a bottle of botanicares calmag and sweet. use calmag for the first 4 weeks, or until that stretch stops, then switch over to the sweet. calmag has too much N to use past the stretch, and sweet is your magnesium, sulfur, and carbs.

check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdfClTH_mxc

IDK if that helps you, but trust me, get calmag and sweet.

Thanks for the link, Il definitely keep it in mind. I do have calmag, but have pretty hard water here so don't need or want to add any calcium. Il do a side by side in the future with 1 plant getting epson salt do see what extra magnesium will do. PBP grow/bloom does have .5% magnesium so that plus what is in my tap water should be sufficient.
When I transition I will def be using molasses which is basically what PBP sweet is from what I have read. Side note, Im not seeing any of the serrated tips raised on the OG's, just the AO's. Will see how they respond to just plain water for the next 10 days.

aquavitae

hi paulie :)

somehow I must have missed that you culled the males :eek: speaks
for our herb though ;)

your plants look really nice man! your AO sounds like a good choice for hash making ;)

AV

Latest posts

Latest posts