What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Moved back to Colorado - Interested in Growing Job

monarch

if you want in the grow industry be prepared to be basically a janitor and laborer. Any established grow doesn't want your opinion when they first hire you. Give a long time before you have an opinion. Otherwise people just need help and support doing things how they already do it. In the industry you are no longer a grower, just a cog in the wheel, no way to maintain 1000's of plants on your own. If anything managerial skills are needed as well. Expereince only helps if it helps you not have to be baby sat and can follow the system and understand everyone knows there are a million different ways to do it. As some one entering, you have no clue why or how the company is growing the way they are, get to know the companies story and join the team first, start as a trimmer and stick it out tell they need help other places in the shop. Team players are important, having a bunch of individuals only creates choas and thats not good for getting consistent results that a company can bank on day in and day out year after year, with little to no failure or set backs. IF things do get messed up you need a team to figure it out and solve the problem not point fingers. So if you can let people know you are willing to work hard and do what they say, and that you are good at problem solving and are a self motivated worker, you may have a chance. Just remember to keep your opinions to yourself unless you are asked about growing. You may actually learn a thing or two from people who have learned to succeed in the industry versus thinking you are the golden child of growing. The wages are low and the work is hard so good luck to everyone trying to get in at the bottom these days. I just got lucky and was at the right place at the right time. Now i'm living the dream. Started at the bottom.... Now i'm here. I was willing to start as a trimmer and wash buckets. Then the head grower baled and i knew the owner and the owner was willing to invest in my learning to grow at a commercial level. Still learning today. Its been fun. Good luck to everyone trying to make it.

Got it entirely. I've been prepared to start my janitorial position now for a while. I spent my whole life being a team player in the family construction business. No job is below me and I don't complain. I take every opportunity I get to sponge up as much knowledge as possible.

Do you know of any leads? I feel like they're overlooking my education and resume because they think I'll be like you described, a "I know how it should be done", or this qualified for better jobs elsewhere and won't commit to us.

M

meowmeowmeow

if you want in the grow industry be prepared to be basically a janitor and laborer. Any established grow doesn't want your opinion when they first hire you. Give a long time before you have an opinion. Otherwise people just need help and support doing things how they already do it. In the industry you are no longer a grower, just a cog in the wheel, no way to maintain 1000's of plants on your own. If anything managerial skills are needed as well. Expereince only helps if it helps you not have to be baby sat and can follow the system and understand everyone knows there are a million different ways to do it. As some one entering, you have no clue why or how the company is growing the way they are, get to know the companies story and join the team first, start as a trimmer and stick it out tell they need help other places in the shop. Team players are important, having a bunch of individuals only creates choas and thats not good for getting consistent results that a company can bank on day in and day out year after year, with little to no failure or set backs. IF things do get messed up you need a team to figure it out and solve the problem not point fingers. So if you can let people know you are willing to work hard and do what they say, and that you are good at problem solving and are a self motivated worker, you may have a chance. Just remember to keep your opinions to yourself unless you are asked about growing. You may actually learn a thing or two from people who have learned to succeed in the industry versus thinking you are the golden child of growing. The wages are low and the work is hard so good luck to everyone trying to get in at the bottom these days. I just got lucky and was at the right place at the right time. Now i'm living the dream. Started at the bottom.... Now i'm here. I was willing to start as a trimmer and wash buckets. Then the head grower baled and i knew the owner and the owner was willing to invest in my learning to grow at a commercial level. Still learning today. Its been fun. Good luck to everyone trying to make it.

Many good points......with a few variances in each workplace.

I'm sore as fuck by the weekend, but got bills.

Never settle and hopefully you'll get MUTUAL PATIENCE & RESPECT....'cough cough' unlike my workplace.

@monarch Use CL .... that's where I went fishing. :mopper:

truck

people need trimmers all the time that is where i reccomend getting a foot in the door. Just mention you are a team player and do have a interest in helping in the grow if an oppertunity presents itself. Other skills outside of growing such as HVAC repair and maintenance, welding, electrical, i.e. being a handyman/jack of all trades makes a big difference. Knowledge that is applicable to growing but that isn't actually about growing the plant, especially environmental control is a huge asset to any grow. Having someone around who just happens to have a welder and tools basically got one of our trimmers a job as trim manager and head of maintenance. We have created jobs around people who had skills and displayed a willingness to help and take on responsibility on their own without having to give a raise first. I think highlighting your construction skills and experience would do you more good than anything. Also other people, IT is huge now in Growing, we deal with computers all the time and the tracking systems here in Colorado, so experience in inventory control is a huge bonus too. I also recommend if their is a despensery near you you want to work at, go by every week and be cool just asking if their is a trim job or entry level job you could start at, and that you just trying to get your foot in the door and just want to be apart of the team.

meowmeow luckily we here at THA have built a family atmosphere and work hard to maintain respect and patience. We all have had our moments. But I have never fired anyone, everyone who has quit did so on their own accord, mostly due to the heavy work load day in and day out. I have worked here almost 4 years and have three other employees one just at 3 years, and 2 years and the other one is a green horn we just hired 3 months ago, all came off our trim crew, as it seemed to be better than just hiring people who we didn't have a while to get to know, as growing and operating a system as a team requites lots of trust. We are constantly growing and expanding as a business so its been a great thing for everyone who has been willing to start at the ground floor. Loyalty and dedication go a long way, at least here where i work.

truck

We tried hiring experienced growers to come in and help at certain times and it always backfired. Either didn't want to tell you what they were doing and didnt' want to play as a team, or Didn't like the pay, as they were use to the black market and didn't want to put in the time to wait for the pay to come as the company grew overtime. Plus i recommend looking at this like any trade. You start as an apprentice, then journeyman, then become a master, all things come in good time. The more experience you gain at a dispensary within a system it will prove later on as you look for other jobs in the industry that you have what it takes, especially when it comes to the computer experience of M.I.T.S., the state tracking system and software here in colorado. Also being a notary helps people get a front desk or secretary job as it is needed at times for all the paper work that goes on.

monarch

people need trimmers all the time that is where i reccomend getting a foot in the door. Just mention you are a team player and do have a interest in helping in the grow if an oppertunity presents itself. Other skills outside of growing such as HVAC repair and maintenance, welding, electrical, i.e. being a handyman/jack of all trades makes a big difference. Knowledge that is applicable to growing but that isn't actually about growing the plant, especially environmental control is a huge asset to any grow. Having someone around who just happens to have a welder and tools basically got one of our trimmers a job as trim manager and head of maintenance. We have created jobs around people who had skills and displayed a willingness to help and take on responsibility on their own without having to give a raise first. I think highlighting your construction skills and experience would do you more good than anything. Also other people, IT is huge now in Growing, we deal with computers all the time and the tracking systems here in Colorado, so experience in inventory control is a huge bonus too. I also recommend if their is a despensery near you you want to work at, go by every week and be cool just asking if their is a trim job or entry level job you could start at, and that you just trying to get your foot in the door and just want to be apart of the team.

meowmeow luckily we here at THA have built a family atmosphere and work hard to maintain respect and patience. We all have had our moments. But I have never fired anyone, everyone who has quit did so on their own accord, mostly due to the heavy work load day in and day out. I have worked here almost 4 years and have three other employees one just at 3 years, and 2 years and the other one is a green horn we just hired 3 months ago, all came off our trim crew, as it seemed to be better than just hiring people who we didn't have a while to get to know, as growing and operating a system as a team requites lots of trust. We are constantly growing and expanding as a business so its been a great thing for everyone who has been willing to start at the ground floor. Loyalty and dedication go a long way, at least here where i work.

Well your first paragraph describes me exactly, and I have a lot more fun skills on top of that. Thanks for all the feedback, Im reworking my resume to showcase these points. Ill defiantly look into trimming opportunities as a start.
I also ordered a packet to study for a pesticide applicators license, before I did any research really. Hopefully I qualify to test without having any affiliation (employee of a shop or owner of my own application business) . I hope its open to people just looking to add a skill for open market opportunities.

Latest posts

Latest posts