What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Home made air-cooled reflector - OG Save

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just A Tree - Home made air-cooled reflector - OG Save

hi, here is a pict of a easy to do modification of a normal reflector.

Since i use it, the temp is now 25°C at 25 cm of the bulb

here's the original reflector

then I just cut 2 pieces of an old reflector for closing the extremities

the hole has to be sized to connect with your extractor's air outtake

and lastly, you put a 3mm glass for closing it

Finaly, here's a plan of the whole setup.

I don't use a specific extractor for the hood, just connected my 450 m3/h extractor to the hoods, and ejecting the hot air in my living room... the smell is stopped by a carbon filter

for the one who are interested in that system, you need a carbon filter, here's what it looks like

so finaly, this system makes that you heat your flat with the heat of the lamp, and takes out most of the heat from the room, especially under the bulb, where the precious buds are...
any questions or comments are welcome

---

Herb Toker posts

Hey thats a pretty sweet homemade light setup. +K to you. Is it possible for you to post a pic of the inside of the reflector with the light off? Im interested to see how you mounted the socket and blub inside the relector.

---

Just A Tree posts

here you are

the air is blown through the hole on the left

another view... with a small head of a 1month old AK47/Blueberry plant quite ready for the big travel of her life to the flowering room

---

Dee posts

How is that exhaust working out for ya?? Does the heat from the flowering room still cool off the bulb in the veggin room? I just like mine but i am trying to decide if I want to use seperate fans. what are the temp in the boxes.

Thanks
Dee

---

Kadafi posts

What bulb is it? 400W HPS?

---

Just A Tree posts

dee,

the heat from the flowering room is cold enough to chill the bulb.

i got a 600 HPS and a 400 MH in line as shown on the plan.

Maybe a separate line that takes air outside would be a little more efficient, but this way has many interesting aspects: cheaper,silencier (no second extractor) and also it heats your flat, the air going out of the 2 bulbs is at 28°C another advantage is that you just need one passive intake from outside, and no outtake.

and in certain conditions (proximity of neighboors, copters with thermal detection etc...) that can be a very important point. the only limit to it is that you wont use CO2 in such a system, as the blower has to be turned 100% of the light cycle...

kadafi:
the bulb on the picture is a 400 MH.

HeresTheDank

alright im glad you posted this. im gettin a 400 watter with a batwing reflector and img going to try to do this with it

FRANKENBLUNT420

me blunt is like, wicked yo!! owight
many thanks to you sir for you saving /finding such an important thread!! i may just do this myslef as i am going to be in the market for a couple of those myself. i have seen the cost of air cooled hoods and this knocks about 30-50 bucks off of the normal price!!

HeresTheDank

where can you get a piece of glass like that from?? n also what else could i use for the sides, i dont have an old reflector?

Brastaman

hiya blynx.
nice thread! have you made one of these before? i was wondering what was used to hold the glass in place?
looks like there are screws in the sides. or maybe some reinforce tape.

hey heresthedank. i was thinkin bout hardware store (home depot/Lowes) cuz they sell pieces of thin sheet metal, cut with pliers. get the glass from the same place you would get it if you were buying it. and buy it, seperately.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I made a hood for my old 150 hps.

Buy 4 small L brackets. You will need to bend them at the correct angle. You mount them with a small bolt/nut to the hood and the 'bottom' of the bracket holds the glass (actually the glass rests on the L brackets).

Like this.

Make sure to leave a bit of space for the glass between the end of the hood and the 'corner' of the L bracket.

Latest posts

Latest posts