What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Michael Caine:'What ruined the 60's was DRUGS!'

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Perusing around the intrawebs I came across this interview with Michael Caine in The Guardian, and thought that you lot might like to read it.....

As his documentary about the 1960s opens, the veteran actor talks working-class culture, Woody Allen and why he never liked drugs

Michael Caine: ‘What’s come into fashion, fortunately for me, is films for older people.’

Now 84, Michael Caine has appeared in 127 films, including Zulu, Alfie and The Italian Job, and been Oscar-nominated six times, winning twice. Caine is the narrator, co-producer and star of new documentary film My Generation, about his journey through 1960s London.

What inspired you to make My Generation?

Simon Fuller [Spice Girls/Pop Idol svengali] and I are friends, and over dinner, conversation kept coming round to the 60s. He was too young, so was always asking about it. One evening he said, “Let’s make a documentary. You can tell the stories and I’ll find the music.” It’s taken a few years, but that’s what we did. I have a very good memory, which is fortunate at my age, so there’s a lot of material left over. We’re turning that into a six-part TV series.

The film is studded with star names, but they don’t appear in traditional “talking heads” style. Why?

I interviewed loads of people – McCartney, Twiggy, Roger Daltrey, Joan Collins – but we ended up taking the footage out of the film. It screwed it up, because you’re no longer immersed in the 60s, you’re too busy going “Oh look, he’s gone bald,” or “Ain’t she got fat?” So you only hear their voices; we’ll use the footage in the TV series instead.

I thought the saying went “If you remember the 60s, you weren’t really there”?

That’s more the late 60s/early 70s. In the 60s, we were drinkers. What ruined the 60s, towards the end of the decade, were drugs. If people were taking cocaine, they’d start talking bollocks and not stop for hours. If they were on other drugs, they’d just sit around, going “Wow, man.” So it was either people talking too fast to understand, or people not saying anything at all. It brought to an end the 60s as we knew it – which was a load of drunks getting up to all sorts and dancing like mad.

Is it true you smoked marijuana just the once?

Yes, and I laughed for five hours. I nearly got a hernia. I must have been very tense beforehand! When I left the party at 1am in Grosvenor Square, I was standing alone on a corner, roaring with laughter, and no cab would stop for me. I had to walk to my flat in Notting Hill, and when I got back, I vowed I’d never take bloody drugs again. And I never did. I’m not anti-drugs: I’m sympathetic to people who take them, because they’ve got themselves in a situation that I really do not envy. Most drugs are terrible… at least marijuana’s good for medicinal purposes.

You permanently had a fag in your mouth during the 60s, though…

I smoked a lot, but Tony Curtis saved my life. I was at a party, chain-smoking by the fireplace, when a hand came round from behind me, took the cigarettes out of my pocket and threw them in the fire. I turned round and it was Tony Curtis. We’d never met, but he said: “I’ve been watching you, Michael. You’re going to die if you keep doing that, you idiot.” So I quit.

I later took up cigars, but gave them up because of Hurricane Higgins, the snooker player. I knew Alex quite well, and one night I was smoking a cigar while watching TV. Alex came on the screen with a voice-box and I could see he was dying. I stubbed the cigar out in the ashtray and never smoked again.

In the documentary you sometimes seem like the more senior, sensible one…

Well, I was a serious actor. I’d spent nine years on stage and worked my way up to leading roles in movies. I’d be up at 6.30am for a day’s worth of dialogue, so I couldn’t stay up all night, dancing and getting laid. Don’t worry, though… between films I’d go a bit mad.

My Generation has a 50/50 gender split of contributors. Did you insist on that?

Absolutely. I’m a feminist to the core. An interviewer once asked my wife, “What first attracted you to Michael?” and she said, “The way he treated his mother.” I respected women tremendously, right from the start. I just didn’t know I was a feminist until they invented it.

The first night I went to the Ad Lib club every single Beatle and every single Rolling Stone was in there dancing

Social change is a big theme in My Generation…

That’s the serious point of the film, really. Society was transformed by the 60s. I was born during the Depression, then came the Blitz. I was evacuated and spent six years waiting for a telegram telling me my dad was dead. A tough start. Six years after the war, I was in the army myself – first in the occupation force in Berlin, then the Korean war, fighting the Chinese. When I got home, London was all smog and rationing. The last straw was [Soviet leader] Khrushchev’s speech saying they now had the atom bomb and could send it here in a rocket to annihilate us within four minutes. So the attitude became: “We’re miserable as sin, we’ve got four minutes to live, let’s have some fun.” And boy, did we have fun.

Was there a working-class takeover of culture?

Yeah, slowly but surely. Small things happened: Radio Caroline launched, before the BBC finally gave in and started playing pop music. Coffee bars started putting on live groups, like the Beatles. Discotheques arrived from Paris. The first night I went to the Ad Lib club – run by my friend Johnny Gold, who later opened Tramp and called me “Disco Mike” – every single Beatle and every single Rolling Stone was in there dancing. Pop culture went bang, exploded, and just kept going. Working-class kids everywhere

David Bailey and Terry O’Neill became almost as famous as the people they were photographing. I shared a flat with Vidal Sassoon and got free haircuts. Terence Stamp was another flatmate. It seemed like everyone I knew became famous.

You were good friends with Roger Moore. Did his death last year hit you hard?

Yeah, we were close. But at my age, you get used to your friends dying.

You’ve been buddies with two Bonds, Moore and Connery. Who would you like to play 007 next?

Tom Hardy. And make him do a posh accent.

You won an Oscar for Hannah and Her Sisters. What do you make of the accusations against Woody Allen?

I am so stunned. I’m a patron of the NSPCC and have very strong views about paedophilia. I can’t come to terms with it, because I loved Woody and had a wonderful time with him. I even introduced him to Mia [Farrow]. I don’t regret working with him, which I did in complete innocence; but I wouldn’t work with him again, no.

Last year, you were in yet another Oscar-nominated film, Dunkirk…

Only a cheeky little cameo. Christopher [Nolan, director] and I have done six very successful films together. I’m his good-luck charm. Or is he mine? Anyway, I had to be in Dunkirk, but there was no proper part for me because of my age. Instead I did the voice of the Spitfire squadron leader over the radio. I looked at the gross yesterday: half a billion. The lucky charm worked again.

You seem almost as busy as ever…

What’s come into fashion, fortunately for me, is films for older people. Ever since The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel took $150m, they’ve realised there’s a generation who still go to the cinema. So last year I made Going in Style with Morgan Freeman and Alan Arkin, all of us in our 80s. I’ve just done Night in Hatton Garden, about the oldest robbers in history. It’s like the audience have grown up with me.

Tess Daly says you’d be her dream celebrity contestant on Strictly Come Dancing. Fancy it?

Oh, really? I’m afraid I’m beyond that. She should be mighty relieved. I watch Strictly every weekend with my three grandchildren. We all shout out the scores together.

Was the 60s the best decade of your life?

At the time it was. Since then, my life has improved from decade to decade. My joy nowadays is not movies, money or women – I’ve been happily married for 45 years to the most wonderful woman I ever met – it’s my grandchildren. I’m devoted to them.

You’re 85 next week. How are you celebrating?

My wife’s organising something but won’t tell me what. My 80th was in Las Vegas with Quincy Jones. We call ourselves “the celestial twins”. He composed the music for The Italian Job and when he came on set, we worked out we were born at exactly the same hour. We’re not identical twins, clearly, we’re celestial ones. One thing I love about Quince is he’s always late for everything. He invited me around for lunch recently and he was an hour late. In his own house.

Will you ever retire?

No. The movie business retires you. I’ve just turned down a film, actually; but if I get a script I really want to do, I will. I’m busy enough. I’ve got the TV series and a book I’m writing. I did a guide to acting, which went very well, so now I’m writing one on stardom. It’s full of funny stories and I name-drop like fury, obviously. You might have noticed.

My Generation is released 16 March. On 14 March a preview screening in cinemas will be followed by a live Q&A with Michael Caine, broadcast from BFI Southbank

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...what-ruined-60s-drugs-my-generation-interview

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
What a great actor.
The Man Who Would Be King is one of my favorite movies.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
:yeahthats
You beat me to it Ahab.
"The Man who would be King" is one of my favorite movies of all time also.
What a great adventure they had!
I had some pretty cool, months long adventures when I was a young man, but nothing close to theirs...

Always liked Michael Caine. He is a very good actor...

The fact that he didn't care for weed himself doesn't bother me in the least..
He grew up in an era before grass became more commonly used...

Just watched Blame It On Rio last night. Not his finest hour. Alfie, on the other hand, defined swinging London in the mid-60s.

Betterhaff

Veteran
A true professional, one of my favorite actors. Interesting his views on alcohol and drugs, at least he sounds open minded about it.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Once you introduce physically addicting drugs that exploit impulsive behavior it undermines the value of the non toxic mind expanders and natural medicines that don't offer the same dynamic

prohibition makes bad drugs seem good when beneficial substances are illegal as well

when people understand them all at face value it changes decision making a bit

I think conversely without substance as a catalyst we wouldn't have evolved and diversified the way we did

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I respect him as an actor, but for somebody who was drinking a bottle of vodka a day he maybe isn't the best person to listen to on drug abuse. And claiming "drugs" ruined the 60s since they couldn't all be "drunks" anymore, that just sounds sad to me. But then I'd rather be a pothead than an alcoholic.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
420giveaway
The drug use of the sixties wasn't polorized until Charles Manson and the family went on their rampage.

From that moment on the innocence of flower power was viewed as horror and fear. Elvis told President Nixon. The problems of the youth stemmed from drugs.
Nixon took up his crusade, and we are still fighting the wrongs of Charles and the family to this day.

Ironic how Elvis died of a pharmaceutical overdose. The pharmaceutical industry is spending millions to remind the world of the fear once felt. Cannabis is evil, drug dealers must die!

I await spring, the blooming of the first Krokus's.
I look forward to growing cannabis that will make a positive difference in a sick person's life.
Peace
It's no longer flower power but the power of the flower. Go Flower Power!

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
picture.php

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
I at least admire Michael Caine for refusing to work with the pedophile Woody Allen again. But as far as the Sixties go, drunkies like him were the people me and my friends made fun of.
To quote The Fugs- "Middle-age, middle class, middle brow whisky drinkers, Turn on, Tune in, Drop out!"
[YOUTUBEIF]-cwYHl3IK0Y[/YOUTUBEIF]

therevverend

Veteran
It's funny how the interview talks about a lot of stuff but the title is 'Caine says drugs ruined the 60s'. From an alcoholic with a nicotine stick perpetually hanging from his mouth. People from the older generation tend to forget those are also drugs.
I reckon what helped make the 60s interesting was drugs. Of course a lot of talented, creative people took things way too far and fucked up their lives. People get so nostalgic about the 60s it's easy to forget the overdoses, wars, violence, social upheaval, terrorism, racisim, must have been crazy. No wonder people were lining up to get wasted.
Caine is a great actor, one thing I like about him he's willing to admit he acted in terrible movies for money. He's seems like an honest person.

Spaventa

Veteran
People of his generation were taught that drugs are evil by a very strict, disciplinarian, conformist, religious and largely ignorant generation of parents. This was at a time before there was easy access to information about drugs and alcohol.

If Michael hadn't been brainwashed from an early age to hate "drugs" or "dope" or whatever they called it then, he would be able to accept and acknowledge the truth about cannabis and the truth about alcohol.

If he hadn't been indoctrinated into a drinking culture that only benefits big companies and the tax man, he wouldn't drink a drop of that neurotoxin.

Gert Lush

Veteran
I had to walk all the way to my house in Notting Hill cause no taxi would stop for me! Right there I realised what a howible dwug mawihauna was. I never took it again. Taxis always stop for me now.

I’m sympathetic to people who take them, because they’ve got themselves in a situation that I really do not envy.

- Yes, like looking honestly at yourself, Michael

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
If he really thinks alcohol and tobacco are not drugs, he is deluded.
I liked many of his films, he could act, but his views on alcohol and tobacco show how he had zero idea of what reality was. Did the 60's really get ruined by drugs? He was consuming drugs before and after that time. Maybe he needed to try psychedelics and alter his limited view? He is a dinosaur and has zero idea what is history or not.
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran

The photo is someone I knew in the 60's "Super" Joel Tornabene we shared a house in Canyon Calif where we and others organised protests against Port Chicago near Concord Calif, in the bay area the base where most of the weapons sent to Viet Nam war were shipped from.
-SamS

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I reckon what helped make the 60s interesting was drugs.person.

Drugs made the 1960s.

^

Exactly.

Can you imagine how boring the late 60's early 70's would have been otherwise?Think of all the excellent music that would have not been written or performed?We would still be listening to Buddy Holly etc.

No doubt that there were downsides involved,but think of the impact on modern culture that would have been lost.

:)