What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colombian Gold from 1972-78...? How was it "made"?

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
You can get the Marijuana of the 70s and 80s still, it is out there. Problem is that the plants are wild and the buds are small and wispy. People may want the high but not enough to deal with these wild plants. Growing and trimming is a lot of trouble.

One main difference in Mexican and Colombian is the way it was packaged for export

Mr_Grimbo

Well, I'm not gonna' pretend I don't know this is number 50 for me. I think it's appropriate that I use it to thank everyone who has welcomed me here and participated in my thread. Budman, Red Rider, and Raco and so many others. Thanks.

I am thinking of starting another thread on the Dirt Brown Colombian next time around but I have to do some thinking first, make sure I come in with my memories collected. Also might get into another section and try to discuss the extremely stupid things we did to get stoned when I was a kid... As to the Gold, the thread is about the Gold... I am pretty convinced the commercial Gold we got as kids was more than likely SantaMarta based on the way it came in, where from, and the physical qualities I have seen here... Add that to the fact that that's what the big guys reffered to it as back then and I think I am pretty sure about that...and now I may start trying some of the gear Raco and the others have noted here and see if I can find that old stuff again. I will note that the best way to find that old taste and visual will be to jar cure for a long time...

Thanks again everybody, Mr. Grimbo

dam i wish i had a sample of each strain above i love my sativas and all those look tasty to me. wish there was more of these kind of strains going around the market most mainstream smokers will never get to smoke or appreciate the different strains that are realy out there

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Colombian "Rainbow"

Colombian "Rainbow"

Hi Mr_Grimbo the Colombian Rainbow I got in the late 70s was of unknown origin and was a lid full of small buds that ranged in colors from bright green to gold, brown & red. It was very good smoke and wasn't around much for me back in the day. The Rainbow (thats what I call it) that I obtained in Colombia back in 05/06 came from Santa Marta and was about the same to me as what I had in the 70s. Same beautiful colors and taste, with a very nice effect. I liked it so much I grew some out and found it to be even better. Drirt brown or what I think we called Mesh Colombian was the mainstay of the weed I had during the late 70s and early 80s. The "bulk" Colombian export seemed to get worse over the years till all the lumbo was replaced with the new "Sinsemella" and later the "Indica". However the fine "dirt brown" is still here in country. On my fist trip to Bogota in the fall of 2003 I was greeted by the most beautiful Colombian woman and in her apartment she had a few local treasures for me to sample. As you can see in the bad pic, thats the dirt brown and some pure white coca along with whats now my favorite beer. Un forgetable first night.......

Last edited:

Pollypak

my two cents regarding golden colour:
Drying plants in the sunlight may turn the plants yellowish.
Curing plants for a very long time also turns them light brown-yellow (I've had some ace panama I grew in a glass jar for some years and it looks pretty yellow)

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Most if not all of the CG growers of the 70-80's are dead and never passed down the genetics. The strain is unmisatakeable when you have it. Allot of it was used to make hash ...100% pure sativa...

11550santa_marta_gold1.jpeg

4280-pg-86_yesteryear.jpg

T

Trichomie

This is some awesome info the pics in this thread. Good topic Mr Grimbo. Yeah Mr Grimbo, no idea about trichs yet. But always did enjoy the last little dusty remains at the end of a sack. That powdery bit that wouldn't burn in a joint but was great in a bong. Lotta trichs in there for sure. Never knew about the Dirt Brown Colombian and never knowingly had it but think I have after reading this thread. I'll be visiting any Colombian related thread I see, Please start another 1 or 2. haha.

Thenks for that info and pic Hammerhead. I was trying to post it but can't figure it out yet. Hope you're wtong about the genetics. Maybe they passed the secret of getting the Golden color if not the genes.

Fun times back in 03 red rider. That Rainbow looks tasty. And that SMG and the SMG hyb are impressive as well. You're livin the life aintcha. Still like to know if the Rainbow I got in what seems like 78 or 79 was actually CG x PR? Anyone chime in on that? It wasn't around long either. Had a more sedative high/stone to it than the CG.

Glad I missed the decline of the CG. It still tasted, looked and smelled the same when it disappeared from my area in 1985 I guess. but the high was changing to a more sedative type thing. Not the same rocket ride it was it the 70's and very early 80's. Just joking around with friends I started calling it Dumbo. And your eyes were soooooo RED and half closed and it started making me lethargic with a couchlock effect. Mighta got tainted with more Indy genes or something in the later years, thus it's decline.

Is the SMG you get now still the same as it was back in the day red rider? Are those original genes from the 70's and I guess the 60's still what can be had by the lucky "in crowd" in Colombia today? If so, please find a way to infiltrate the inner circle and get those genes out to us ASAP. lol.

Iron Lion is enjoying some fine ass bud. WOW!

As usual Raco is killin it. That looks like some head ringin herb there. Any of your grow pics make me salivate Raco. haha.

Dang bigherb, sorry to hear about your bad luck with BSC. I use to dream about getting some of those strains after reading the descriptions too. That was a couple years ago wasn't it?

The descriptions of some of the CG's offered say they finish in the 16 week range and I'd read that the SMG (which is what I'm after) was/is a 75% sativa and 25% indica that is a faster finisher in the 10 week range. Anybody confirm this info?

Sorry this turned into a book. I'll get back on topic and to my points in the next post.

Mr_Grimbo

Fun times back in 03 red rider. That Rainbow looks tasty. And that SMG and the SMG hyb are impressive as well. You're livin the life aintcha. Still like to know if the Rainbow I got in what seems like 78 or 79 was actually CG x PR? Anyone chime in on that? It wasn't around long either. Had a more sedative high/stone to it than the CG.

Hopefully I don't go too far here. I uh, took care of a property, might call it a safe house for a guy who was a high ranking member of possibly one of the most infamous clubs in history... nuff said. He used to come in every few nights with his crew and with 35 gallon brown yard trash barrels full of Hawaiian bud. It was the most colorful weed I had ever seen and a lot of folks up around here outside NYC called it rainbow but I knew better... I know those garbage cans were going all over the US and there was a lot of it.

Mr. Grimbo

T

Trichomie

I meant that pic Hammerhead posted with the CG buds and the pipe, not the 2 below it. Found that pic back in March and that's the way I remember CG. Is that your pic Hammerdead or something you found online? Wish I took some pics of the CG.

Back on topic, Pollypak makes 2 good points about the sundrying & length of time between harvest and when we got the CG which would amount to curing time. How old was it?

I read that after being girdled in the fields the plants were deprived of water for a period of time until harvest. No idea of the timeline. Then harvested and layed in the fields to sundry for a period of time. No more info if they were bailed after that or what. The CG wasn't what I call "flatbud" like the bricked weed nowadays so maybe there was an additional step of further drying after the sunbake that enabled the buds to keep their shape after being bailed/bricked.

Sure do wish someone would share this info. It wasn't that long ago so it can't be more than just folklore by now. Somebody who's alive has got to know this info. Was I fed a buffet of BS when I read these things? Startin to feel like a deprived child over here. WAH! I WANNA KNOW! WAH!

T

Trichomie

Now there's a twist I hadn't thought about Mr Grimbo, that the rainbow had been Hawaiian. Don't know what to think. Were they calling it Rainbow? It was around that time my buddy was getting his Hawaiian but his was like the buds we see today and not like the Rainbow I remember. It lwas the same consistency as the CG just differently colored.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those are not my images just random web pics. I have only found real CG 1x. That was 2 decades ago.

bigherb

Veteran
Most if not all of the CG growers of the 70-80's are dead and never passed down the genetics. The strain is unmisatakeable when you have it. Allot of it was used to make hash ...100% pure sativa...

View Image
View Image

I recall this image Im almost positive its in four seasons thread which is prime example of why IC is the best source of info anywhere I thinkit came from an old HT Mag

Im curious to know your opinion aswell as others who smoked teh Colombian Gold imported here back then was it all Brikced compressed ? did you ever see/get Loose buds ?

I know Thai came in both forms i wonder about lumbos ?

Im very curious to know im sure it was mostly bricked but that pic arises curiousity it looks like chunks nugs or chunks off a brick

My next thought is i Dont agree (atleast id like to believe) all the growers are dead an especially not that they never passed down there genetics .Red rider says himself its still there . The BSC stock which British hempire im sure still has was spot with reports

If i recall Pudilinsky grew a clone aswell from BH

Im hopful if you had the right Colombian friends it would be possible to aquire

1luvbigherb

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow Ammonia..Doesn't that mean mold??

Rolling the buds by hand then setting them in a pile to dry in the sun for fermentation. After Fermentation the best buds are selected rolled again then allowed to sun dry more.

It amazes me how things where really done back then... If we did that today we would be vilified..

When was the last time anyone had real CG for sale. I have never seen it withing the last 20 years... The CG I got was lose buds not compressed. Basically it was a very well grown sativa that was gold It was extremely expando. The old timers of my generation are probably dead. Why are we not seeing CG like I used to back in the 70-80's. Nobody is growing it anymore takes to long. The curing/drying process they used back then isn't done anymore IMO..

Girdling the plants was practiced by other growers in Meso-America. Mr. Alkaline has a thread on here that discusses girdling as performed in the Oaxacan mountain region of Mexico. They did so out of their Christian pagan synthesis and believed that girding was analogous to the Crucifixion of Christ. It was believed to increase spiritual potency to "bleed" the plant.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here is a plant that has been girdled. This also supposedly makes the buds gold. Basically the plant is dying very slow wit this method. Someone do this and report ;)

girdled_doubleryder.jpg

T

Trichomie

Hi Raco. Is that info specific to CG or is it another herb they're talking about? It's tough to read. They mention commercial Colombian but refer to it as dirty brown and not gold. Hadn't thought about bacterial activity in the curing process before. I thought ammonia was a bad sign too. And hand rolling the buds would surely strip trichs.

Musta been more to the before market preparations with the CG. Hammerhead, that image you posted shows the gold color so well. Not a trace of green in there, unlike the pics red rider has posted. Even the stems were bleached. His show cured buds that have gold in them but other colors too. They look nothing like the CG in that pic or what we use to get.

Maybe the sundrying saps all the chlorophyll out. Or maybe there's something to the girdling thing afterall and that does the trick. But something made it so gold.

And we didn't use scissors on the CG. Woulda chopped up a bunch of seeds if we did. lol. Just broke up the buds on a tray or table, deseeded and rolled it. It was dry enough to not leave a resedue on your fingers other than a little dust. The buds were actually hard and broke up easily. Seems like that indicates age in the bud.

Gonna go make supper. Talk to yas later.

bigherb

Veteran
Dang bigherb, sorry to hear about your bad luck with BSC. I use to dream about getting some of those strains after reading the descriptions too. That was a couple years ago wasn't it?

Bout 2 years ago i still got his pm he was gonna take care of me . I understand he was having hard times but i only ordered 3 strains one pack each .I have a friend who i ahvnt had contact with them for somewtime that actually got there order in no problems . My friend i hope you are well

Dreams do come true ,Im sure some of the community has some in ther garden or fridge .I only got here to see some of the post b4 i joined the community but Breeders choice /HHF an certain breeders who were once here hopefully are still doing there thing an in the future may offer there work

1luvbigherb

T

Trichomie

That's some good info village green. Was the Oaxacan as gold as the CG?

Thanks Hammerhead. Now I know what it looks like. SAVED pic.

Latest posts

Latest posts