What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Clone Gel Vs Powder wich is best

grundig

From my personall experience , I have used gels clonex and powder Rootfast by mirracle grow. Do you no wich is best by my tests? THE CMEMORY POWDER wins hands down. I have had mixed results with the gel , the powder near 100% succes roots in 7 to 10 days guarantee. I cant believer I spent 20 bucks on some shit that goes bad in a few months. Thats another thing I never dipped into the clonex jar and it still whent funky in a littel while. Here is how I clone.
1. You must prep the clone on the plant itself.
2.Keep the top two nodes on the branch and cut off the lower ones till you have 2 inch bare stem uder the two remaining nodes. Leave this dont cut of yet
3. Give the clone ,still on the donar plant , a hair cutt . Trim the leaves by cutting them in half so the whont wilt so much.
4. Do this to all the branches you whant to turn into clones.
5. Leave them on the donor plant for 24hrs. This gives time to let the clone heal its wounds much better.
6. Now you can take your clones with only one cutt to the clone to remove it. No more trimming neccesary.
7. Now you need to scrape the lower part of the clone stem. Scrape just a little enough to scratch the stem, not scrape into the inside. Do this will all of them and place in water.
8. Now you dip them in ROOTING POWDER or gel , powder is better and faster.Then have your cubes ready rockwool not soaking. This another Huge mistake newbies make they drench the medium . You whant your cloning medium on the dry side , not dripping with water.Squeeze the excess water out of the cubes ,till there just moist all the way through not wet.
9.Place your clones in a humidity dome or ziploc bags work great too for 7 to 10 days.
There you have it , all my misery cloning in aero , soil , rockwool , gels , powders etc. This is the method that works. Prep not Technology. :lurk:

from powder to cube to the soil. btw its a gdp in the blue cup the cube is grapefruit.

Last edited:

aeric

Veteran
I like the Schultz powder, but am sure it is very similar. Agreed...more expensive gels aren't needed, but are a little safer IMO bacause I'm always afraid I'm going to inhale that powder, it gets airborn easily. Maybe u didn't mention also it is important to have a thin film of the powder and not be 'caked' on. I used to think it was neccessary to pre-cut also but I don't do it anymore and it doesn't make a difference. Yes this is the tried and true, least B.S. method out there! Nice post.

BruceLeeroy

i'm a huge fan of dip n grow. always had so much success with it, i never had the need to try anything else.

CGM

Cloning gel is better for hydro(dwc/areo cloning methods), and powder is better for conventional purposes(rockwool or soil), is my input

sonoma

CGM said:
Cloning gel is better for hydro(dwc/areo cloning methods), and powder is better for conventional purposes(rockwool or soil), is my input

^^^^Agreed^^^^

Gel performs best and is more versatile.

G

i agree its best for the grower to decide what or what not to do when clones are the subject. good luck

Awol/CoA

I always found using the scarification cloning technique and powder works very well,
I've tried it with Clonex gel and didn't have as good as results.

mace_ecam

i never tried powder

i tried gel and i tried without gel
tried to burie nodes and not to burie nodes
none of that made a dif to me ;)

temps however did, so did the donors health

marimbas

the best of the best, is one cheap piece of junk, and works 100% of the times... Dip n' grow, peel the bottom of your clone, and soke it in the formula for 10 seconds, and in 7 - 10 days youll see roots...

it costs a few dollars and its simply the best in my opinion

BruceLeeroy

yeah, use a good concentrate too with the dip n grow, like the 4x mixing line for hardwoods. keep your clones humid and you should never have less than like 90% success. that shit will root a popscicle stick!

HellaFella

DIP 'N GROW!

Powder dessicates the wound, which we all know we dont want!
Gel gets all scraped off the stem [where we WANT it to be!] and pushed up to the very top of the medium where, sure it acts on the stem, but mainly right there, not all the way down where it got scraped off. Similar problems happen with the powder scraping off...

But Dip 'N Grow, [it says NOT to get it on you, but im not growin roots yet!!! :D] when you feel it on your fingers, seems to have an "etching" type property, that its your fingers kinda burn/and they feel kinda "squeaky", this leads me to think that the D'nG really effects the plant tissue and since its LIQUID its also getting "sucked-up" by the xylem, really getting into the plants system!

Powders WORKED for me, gel sucked IMHO, but the D'nG, even on really skinny/woody plants like Sk #1 or Trainwreck, always kicked ass! Ive always been amazed how well/fast Trainwreck roots for such wimpy pitiful looking toothpick stems!

aeric

Veteran
I always get 99% rooting in rockwool or other soilless medium, whether it is powder, gel, liquid....been usin the purple clonex lately and the results are the same. Never used dip n grow sounds neato. I think the point grundig may have been making was that u don't have to go to a hydro store and spend 20 buck just to clone successfully.

grundig

Hey

Hey

I will have to give dip n grow a shot. Does dipn grow have good shelf life? Can you dip right in it or pour some in another container and dip. Was it DG or Gypsy use Honey Soultion to clone!! Sounds good I will try honey and dip n grow next.I guess My point is preperation and patience is the key to cloning. Any solutuon will work. I just whanted to compare the cheap stuff with the expensive stuff. I will allways stick to the most effective products cheap or expensive. I just whanted to help newbies clone the proper way by prep and scratch the stem using any compund. If this thread helped just one to clone better GREAT!!!!!!!! :sasmokin:

BruceLeeroy

probably the MOST important factor of cloning successfully is to keep your clones WARM and MOIST!!! it's hard to overstress the value of seedling/heating matts and humidity domes when it comes to cloning. some places have high enough humidity the domes are irrelevant, but unless your clone space has a humidity of 70+, use a dome. if you use a dome, and a heating mat to keep em nice and toasty (75-80) then i bet you could get away with using nothing! lol. just remember, the less stress they suffer, the better off it'll be in the end. so even if you have good results without a heating pad, i'd suggest getting one. it's also important to have sterilized your cloning area as at 75-80 temps with 70+ humidity, your just begging for mold. i've never had less than 95% success cloning with this method and some good cheap dip n grow. it comes as a concentrate and gets mixed according to what plant is being rooted, so you have to put it in a seperate container to dip it.

peace

HellaFella

D'nG last forever as far as i know.....

Its a concetrtate with a little graduated mixing container.....its stupid proof and super concentrated!

grundig

Tried the aero cloner took twice as long as the traditional method I posted. but thank you .Do you have some tips on aero or any pics of your cloner and stuff?

CGM

I did but on OG :(, cloning is not really my thing i wait however long it takes for those roots to pop.. Yea i have cloned in 7days before, but it also has taken 25days, to me it doesent really matter on time, im in no rush...

grundig - What strain is that you have hanging on string ready for dryin?

Last edited: