What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lacto Bacilli: process and discussion

Smurf

stoke this joint
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do people spray flowering plants with CT?
The last time I sprayed a fully flowering plant was 2 yrs ago, a couple days before it rained,,,, I was so worried I was gonna have mold everywhere,,, but nothing.

2 applications,, 1 before & then again after 3 days of non stop rain.

That incident was what proved CT's worth to me.

marali

I see a lot of active organic peeps here so i though i would chime in.

Well i'm making a second batch in the moment and i would like to share some observations with you. As i see now, the first batch was completely different and far from good. Why? The first step is really important, and that is, to use enough rice as jay pointed out. You really want shitload of microbes and really cloudy milky water.

As i already said, this batch now is completely different than the first one. Microbe collecting was much better, and the milk separation now is going 100% better. So yea, use enough rice to the point that wash water looks like milk. Aloha

Last edited:

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cool marali, one thing i like to do to make sure is wash two handfuls of rice, in the same water, it makes sure its real thick n cloudy. take a jar, add rice, add water, shake, strain into another jar with more rice, shake some more, strain final and there you have your liquid.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
eh not really, you need air flow in the rice collection stage, as it collects most of the microbes from the air. after that its ok, the milk will separate without the air.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey guys i just added my milk... should i keep it room temps or can i keep it in the fridge to seperate?

Cheers.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
please read the instructions, it tells you what to do. you put the culture in the fridge AFTER its separated and done to keep the microbes alive for longer periods of time OR!!!!!! put molasses as a food source and you DONT even need the fridge.

do the separation at room temp. the only time you put it in the fridge is AFTER its done!!!!!!

just follow the instructions

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sorry, its just ive been pm'd and asked that question a billion times now. when the fridge isnt even mentioned until step 7. and really its not even needed at all. it just helps.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no worries, just follow the instructions. everything you need is there. even if you have to read it a few times before it gets you. i know thats what happened with me. but after a few times reading it and some thinking, its super simple.

sledge_hammer

Greetings JayKush

I've been watching this thread on breeding and using lacto for your "tomato" plants. I started using this stuff about 6 months ago or so. I must say this stuff is dynamite! You guys are all on the right track here. Only difference between my method and your method is that I dilute some molasses in water (about a tablespoon in a quart size Ball jar, then fill the jar with water 'til about half full) and set that out to collect the bacteria, rather than using rice wash. I don't eat rice so this method works best for me. I have also found, that if you have a sheltered area outside, the bacteria seem to collect faster, than if you just set it in the house. Time period is about the same, 5-7 days.

I usually keep two batches of the lacto. One pure culture in the refrigerator, and another mixed 50/50 with molasses, just like you. I like to use the pure culture and use it diluted in water for a foliar spray. You will have to up the ph a bit. I swear that within a day of spraying this on my leaves (topside and underside) the leaves look cleaner, shinier and healther. No joke. Sometimes you will notice a growth spurt in the plant when you root feed. This stuff is amazing...that's all I gotta say.

Something else I've been dabbling in, is using this lacto to ferment various fruits and vegetables, to feed them to my plants. Very intriguing also. Let me know if you would like to hear more.

I have a tendency to ramble guys...hope I didn't bore you to death!!

Anyway, peace out.

SH

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey sludge hammer, hehe i was serious about the tomatoes. real tomatoes love it as well as cannabis.

nice to hear others getting good results as well.

you up the ph? with what? i never have, never had any problems either.

sledge_hammer

Hi Jay. Yes, I do up the pH. Probably not necessary since these are organics. However, I do it for foliar, since the pH of the lacto will be down in the 3 range. I just use natural earth juice up to bump it up into the 5s or so. But hey, if it works for you, go for it!

This stuff is fabulous. Better than sliced bread! LOL

sledge_hammer

I am also curious if one could use a probiotic like THIS

It kind of defeats the purpose of collecting the bacteria for free from the air. But putting these pure strains straight into milk should provide a similar (potentially better) result, no?

ThePhantomToker

Awesome thread, I'm on the program as of today. Stuff like this is why I really get in to this forum. Thank you for this one jaykush.

Peace TPT

MrFista

Veteran
Been reading stupid amounts again...

Lacto bacillus are used as the initial stage for remediating soil. Say you have compacted soil, anaerobic. You put the lacto b on first, they survive in the anaerobic conditions and wreak havoc on other anaerobic bacteria. Then, you add compost tea.

Some soil is said to be so compacted it needs initial tilling, again a good time to add lacto b. I've found application of at least 2 inches of compost on top of compacted clay soil improves the tilth so much I can dig it by hand within months. I sprayed lacto b, then added compost and compost tea. Under the compost I now find, soil!

Lacto B in compost teas is a nono, it is anaerobic and producing it can also produce highly undesirable things. The methods outlined here are safe and effective. Lacto b is better used alone, but compost teas can be used at the same time, just better in seperate brews.

Using lacto b on sick soils is like sending in the bombers before the troops. There are concentrated enemies in the ground, lacto b dilutes their forces giving the compost tea a greater chance of infiltration and assimilation.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Awesome thread, I'm on the program as of today. Stuff like this is why I really get in to this forum. Thank you for this one jaykush.

always nice to have another person trying in on the fun. let us know of any benefits you find out or even anything you don't like.

Some soil is said to be so compacted it needs initial tilling,again a good time to add lacto b. I've found application of at least 2 inches of compost on top of compacted clay soil improves the tilth so much I can dig it by hand within months. I sprayed lacto b, then added compost and compost tea. Under the compost I now find, soil!

you have never seen soil that absolutely needs tilling? damn lucky you. most of the people i help have rock hard compacted dry topsoil. start to water, water for days and only wet the top few inches of the soil at best.

what i have found best to break up compacted soil is, well, what almost every American gardener hates, weeds. some compost mixed in with the top few inches of soil to bring up buried seeds, water and let the non invasive species grow. in no time they break up that soil into pure goodness like you said. compost them, mulch on top of them or build a raised bed on top. let it decompose and you got tons of free ferts ready for anything planted. just add water :)