What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic Fanatic Collective

V

vonforne

jaykush, nice find on the coffee grounds. When I was a kid, that is what we used to put our night crawlers in to go fishing. Judging by your gallery pics, you to might fish. Am I correct? Nice area you live in . Now, what type of nettles are you talking about. I live in a humid, swampy area, on a large body of water. Are they just in your area or can they be found every where in the US? Now on the beer thing. I have never brewed my own beer so what about that for the Homemade LK? So far we have Nettles, beer yeast(used or unused?) and coffee grounds(used). We need to put all the numbers together and see how close we are to making our LK. I could make a batch next week if we can decide on the ingredents to use. I'm pressed for time this week but next I will have some spare time to work on it.

V

vonforne

Here are the ingredents to LK. Lets see what we can find or substitute.

Vitamins-beer yeast

Amino acids casein hydrolysate and soybean protein hydrolysate.

ethanolic extracts of etiolated wheat seedlings and Zea mays. These extracts contain high levels of the plant hormones known as auxins and cytokinins.

Humic Acid…Liquid Humic acid

Seaweed Extract…Maxi-crop

Carbohydrates…Molasses

guanoman

The main "important" ingredient in LK could be that Spirulina algae. I have no idea, but spirulina sells at the health food store for outrageous prices. We can buy spirulina cultures and it seems easy enough to grow as well.

http://www.utex.org/ they sell algae cultures, search for spirulina. I think they sell the culture starter for $80. Its a little pricey, but all the info about it being a superfood has made me want to try growing some.

Here is a link showing the simplest way to grow spirulina
http://www.daenvis.org/technology/Spirulina.htm

They use clay pots and digested manure. we could use milk jugs or pails and guano tea I'm sure.

http://www.rosemania.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product57.html
This site lists these ingredients first in LK.
fermentation of fish meal, composted seabird guano, spirulina, sea kelp, and soybean meal.

Last edited:
V

vonforne

Looks like we are getting some where with this. The algea looks like fun to grow. And we can "brew the yeast" also. And the rest is just add-ins.

minds_I

Veteran
vonforne said:
ethanolic extracts of etiolated wheat seedlings and Zea mays. These extracts contain high levels of the plant hormones known as auxins and cytokinins.

Perhaps an alfalfa tea for this? I recall reading how the 3LB used alfalfa as a tea and as a soil suppliment.

Also I use a liquid kelp that has 6% humic acid in the soultion. And as we know kelp is some good stuff packed with all things good.

Just a thought.

minds_I

V

vonforne

Right now MI, everything is being tossed into the pot. Good idea. Alfalfa definition,

Alfalfa provides many nutritional benefits not only for plant use, but for soil organisms as well. One very important ingredient is tricontanol, a powerful plant growth regulator.

Alfalfa helps plants create larger flowers and increases the tolerance to cold. Make alfalfa tea by soaking 1 cup of alfalfa meal per 5 gallon of water.

Alfalfa is also very slow acting. That is why 3LB most likely used it in their soil mix. It breaks down over a long period of time like rock phosphate. I'm interested in the tea though. I have never used it in a tea. I like the tried and true basics now.

Ya kelp has 60 or 70 minerals depending on who is doing the advertising. I use Maxi-crop, mostly for the price. Can't beat 6.99. Its alot cheaper then other brands and it has the same ingredents.

V

vonforne

Once wew have everything put into place we need to work on amounts. I will check those links out closely and lets see what we come up with.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Hello all,

Glad to see everyone is rolling up their sleeves and getting their hands dirty.
It looks like I have some reading to do.
I'm always watching on this thread but I like to hear what others have to say as opposed to soud of my own fingers typing.
I am writing an article on teas as we speak, I should have it under wraps before too long.
I'm trying to figure something out with all this sticky stuff but as with all change it could take awhile....

3BM yes those are my girls, I used to have alot..ALOT..more but OG shutdown got me very nervous so I stopped.

Alfalfa meal is an excellent soil additive and great to feed in teas not only for the hormones but also for the source of N they carry which allow the bacteria to create proteins.

This place is shaping up, anyone have more pics to get this place spruced up a bit???
I'd like also for yall to post charts you find usefull...

Sub's

V

vonforne

A few in veg.

A few in veg.

This picture was taken about a week and a half ago. They are now in flower. They are mixed plants. Mostly 2 phonos of Grapefruit and a couple of Afgans.

I use the soil mix I stated earlier but I will change slightly next time with some improved ingredients.

The tea mix in veg. I think I will add Alfalfa to my tea next time. Might only use on a few plants to "see" the difference in the outcome.

I will have some flowering pics in a couple of weeks once they get going.

Here is a pic of my Afghan.

I'm still reading on the "homemade" LK.

Last edited:

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry guys, I hate to be a killjoy, but I hate details.
Just give me a good old recipe that'll work and I'm fine. Spend that energy growing and smoking is my thing.
I don't care how it works, as long as it works.

Here's my most favorite method of all time...

6 parts Pro Mix HP
2 parts perlite
2 parts earthworm castings
Powdered dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.
If you use a 3 qt. saucepan as “parts” in the amounts given above, it equals about 1 cu. ft. of soiless mix and you can just dump in a cup of powdered dolomite lime.

Guano Tea and Kelp:

Seedlings less than 1 month old nute tea mix-
5 tbs. Black Strap Molasses
1-cup earthworm castings/5 gallons of water every 3rd watering

Veg mix-
1/3 cup Peruvian Seabird Guano (PSG)
1/3 cup High N Bat Guano (Mexican)
1/3 cup Earth Worm Castings (EWC)
5 tsp. Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract
5 tbs. Liquid Karma
@ 1-cup mix/5 gallons of water every 3rd watering.

Flowering nute tea mix:
2/3 cup Peruvian Seabird Guano
2/3 cup Earth Worm Castings
2/3 cup High P Guano (Indonesian or Jamaican)
5 tbs. Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract
@ 2 cups/5 gallons of water EVERY watering.
You can use queen size knee high nylon stockings for tea bags. 3 pair for a dollar at the dollar store. Tell 'em you use them for paint strainers. Put the recommended tea in the stocking, tie a loop knot in it and hang it in your tea bucket. The tea should look like a mud puddle. Agitate the bag in the water vigorously. An aquarium pump and air stone will dissolve oxygen into the solution and keep the good bacteria (microherd) alive and thriving. Let it bubble a day or two before you use it.

Burn1

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Hey B1 thanks for ringing in.
That sounds like a sweet recipe for those trying to avoid bone and blood meal.

I was browsing the organic hydro forum and fell on Texas Kid's Liquid Karma post...

TexasKid said:
Liquid Karma information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LIQUID KARMA ™Bio-catalyst Plant Stimulant (FYI)
Product description and Benefits....

The introduction of LIQUID KARMA ™ represents a major and significant breakthrough in plant nutrition.
This is because LIQUID KARMA ™ contains a full complement of metabolically active organic compounds not found in regular plant foods or supplements. These unique compounds are absorbed immediately and act as regulatory signals, activators or catalysts to produce synchronized and accelerated growth under all conditions. LIQUID KARMA ™ functions as a growth engine because its high metabolic activity produces a large amount of energy which is immediately transformed to growth.

Biochemical Composition
LIQUID KARMA ™ contains seven major groups of nutrients based on their specific effects on plant growth and development:

A. Fermented Compost Solution – prepared by exhaustive bacterial and enzymatic fermentation of fish meal, composted seabird guano, spirulina, sea kelp, and soybean meal. In order to enhance the fermentation process and obtain a product which contains the highest possible biological activity, the fermentation is carried out in different stages in the presence of humic acid, citric acid, raw sugar cane, complex carbohydrates, glucose, fructose and over 72 trace elements. Fermented compost solution prepared in this manner is used by an increasing number of organic gardeners to obtain luxuriant vegetative growth, huge flowers and flavorful fruits and vegetables.

B. Amino Acids – LIQUID KARMA ™ contains essential amino acids which are derived from casein hydrolysate and soybean protein hydrolysate. Amino acids are important plant nutrients because they serve as building blocks for structural proteins and enzymes. In addition, amino acids are also involved in the activation of transfer ribonucleic acids (t-RNAs) and DNA synthesis.The following amino acids are present in LIQUID KARMA ™:glycine, alanine, valine, leucine, isoleucine, serine, threonine, aspartic acid, glutamic acid, asparagine, glutamine, lysine, arginine, histidine, cysteine, cystine, methionine, proline, phenylalanine, tyrosine and tryptophan.

C. Vitamins – All of the vitamins used in this formulation are extremely beneficial for plant growth because they function as co-factors for enzymes involved in carbohydrate metabolism and the biosynthesis of macromolecules. LIQUID KARMA™ contains significant amounts of riboflavin, thiamine, pyridoxine and all of the other B-complex vitamins obtained from fermented yeast extracts.

D. Plant Extracts – LIQUID KARMA™ also contains aqueous and ethanolic extracts of etiolated wheat seedlings and Zea mays. These extracts contain high levels of the plant hormones known as auxins and cytokinins. For successful plant micropropagation (tissue culture), the crucial requirements for an auxin and cytokinin are well documented in botanical literature.

E. Humic Acid – In addition to the ingredients indicated above, LIQUID KARMA™ contains optimal levels of humic acid and fulvic acid derived from leonardite. These substances are known to stimulate the growth of roots, shoots and flow-ers, by maintaining the proper osmotic concentration in cells.

F. Seaweed Extract – LIQUID KARMA ™ also contains a high proportion of seaweed extract obtained from North Atlantic Kelp (Ascophyllum nodosum). Kelp extract contains metabolically active carbohydrates, complex carbohydrates, minerals such as cobalt, strontium and iodine, and growth substances that are known to be beneficial for plant growth.

G. Carbohydrates – Carbohydrates are included in LIQUID KARMA ™ because they are the direct or indirect precursors of virtually every metabolite. Their presence provides the added burst of energy required to assimilate and metabolize all of the other wonderful ingredients present in LIQUID KARMA ™.

Benefits of Using LIQUID KARMA ™
Extensive research and field trials indicate that LIQUID KARMA ™ produces beneficial results during every phase of plant growth. Starting with seed germination and following through to vegetative growth, budding and flowering, the continued use of LIQUID KARMA ™ ensures optimal plant growth at every stage. In addition, because of the presence of high concentrations of B-complex vitamins and plant hormones in LIQUID KARMA ™, the product has been shown to be very effective in protecting plants from transplant shock, and in promoting the rooting of cuttings. The seven nutrient groups used in the formation of LIQUID KARMA ™ act synergistically to produce optimal plant growth.

Sounds a little tricker with a more in depth look.
I like to go further and further into things, organics can be as simple or as complexe as you care to make it for yourself.

S

V

vonforne

We can duplicate the vitamins, seaweed extract, carbs, amino acids but the fermented compost is the hard part. It would take a while to get going and you would need a place to stage it all. It might be a little harder than we think. I guess we just pay 20.00 for the bottle. Something to think about though.

And I will update with pics soon.

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

Edit- with regard to fermented compost

I use a product called Organics Alive. Its a aprrox. 50/50 of ewc/veg. compost.

This is what I use in a tea.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fermented

seems fromt eh definition, my ewc/veg. compst tea with molasses might be pretty
close.

For carbs and protien I would throw in some Quaker Oats or rice or maybe instant mashed potatoes. A small amout I mean.

Just a thought.

minds_I

Last edited:

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

I did some research n instant rice and look what I found.

The following amino acids are present in LIQUID KARMA ™:glycine, alanine, valine, leucine, isoleucine, serine, threonine, aspartic acid, glutamic acid, asparagine, glutamine, lysine, arginine, histidine, cysteine, cystine, methionine, proline, phenylalanine, tyrosine and tryptophan.

Now check out hte data on rice.
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c21UH.html

There are simillar data for things like instant mashed potatoes. I would think these would be readliy available as they are vegitable in nature.

My point is that you could add this to the tea.

It seems we have available sources.

What we lack is the proportions to duplicate LK reasonably with little hassle.

minds_I

I

irie-i

decorations

decorations

suby said something about sprucing up? heres some organic bud, the big ones are hash plant and the small are soma. grown with teas, soil and foliar feeds.

soma

purple pineberry, outdoor bear friendly organic mix in peat moss

enjay!

V

vonforne

Great job irie-i. Good looking buds. The peeps at the club are real lucky to have you growing their medicine. How did that Hashplant turn out smoking wise? Is it the Reeferman's?

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Irie-i great shots, I know a quality smoker when I see a Rixzla Silver on the table and roach squares missing from the cover ;).

MI Great research, at least with the listings we have here we are steps closer to understanding how it's made but much more importantly we are beginning to get a more in depth look at what makes for a superior tea, even if we fudge it a bit we are expanding our wealth of information...

Suby

I

irie-i

I know a quality smoker when I see a Rixzla Silver on the table and roach squares missing from the cover

lmao

How did that Hashplant turn out smoking wise? Is it the Reeferman's?

it was some of the best smoke i turned out, big chunky, burned good, very potent. i got clones, not seeds, so im not sure where it came from. the folks at the club were quite pleased. it was prone to powdery mildew though. the soma never got it, even when next to other strains that were covered in it.

some more piccies of the HP: