What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is this girl ready?

This is one of my girls "Night Queen" pretty much 100% Indica. The harvest window according to the breeder is 8 to 9 weeks. This girl is at day 59 middle of the 8th week. I've triched her and I am still seeing quite a few trichomes still clear and just a few cloudy and amber ones. Some people say they don't even use a scope and just go off that "I just know it's time" method. This girl to me looks pretty damn close. One photo taken with flash the other with no flash...

Opinions are appreciated!

Peace

Your getting awful close.. 7 day window take samples on different days approaching harvest, see which ones you like the best.

thailer

theres this point when you walk in your room and the buds have flopped over suddenly. the trichomes normally are sparkly but they will get this look that reminds me of powdered sugar where they get dull at the end. i guess thats the best way to describe it. the trichs that are clear reflect the light and look shiny but when they get milky, they don't reflect as light as well and it looks like they are powdered. i start checking the trichs then. i would wait another week as well.

DJXX

Veteran
i don't think its ever a guess...if you only ran just that strain for many years maybe...but my advice is to get at least a 30x scope and look at them close up...60 days one run may be a lil different then 60 days on another run...just too many variables....if nothing else they look pretty awesone close up...i like bout 25% amber and the rest mostly cloudy...but everyones taste is different....two things i don't guess on is the trichs and the PH....having magnification is very for handy for other things also...especiallywhen mites or any other critters comes to visit.....the pic is just beautiful..killer skills...Thanks for sharing..DJXX

@DJXX

I have a nice little compact 60-100x scope. I found a site that had full reviews on the strain and I read them all. They all put a harvest time between 56-63 days. I have 2 other Queens in addition to this one and they are looking pretty frosty. This particular one just seems a little ahead of the other 2. However, they are probably gonna be on the chopping block within the next 3 days. I just like to get other peoples perspectives. So I appreciate you and all others for chiming in. Thanks for the kind words.

Peace

DJXX

Veteran
Night Queen..is that Night Terror x Killer Queen...with a grow that looks that good, i knew you had it under contol....Keep Rockn dem lights...Happy Holidaze..DJXX

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've found trichomes not directly exposed to light are more accurate for 'ripeness.' Inner trichome amber minimum for me is 5%, max is around 15%. You'll get varying amber on your outer trichomes, unless your light coverage is completely even.

I am gonna chop her tonight day 60. I found reviews from people that have grown it as well as a full bio on Night Queen.
I am definitely in the window for prime pickins so it's really just a preference of whether or not I want a more psychoactive or couch lock or somewhere in between. I have two other Queens that are right behind this one so I will get a good mix regarding effect. Either way this strain is pretty dead on as far as the harvest window being between 56 and 63 days.

Last edited:
I'd like some tips on harvesting. I have read quite a bit on it. I got some Boveda packs 62% for quart sized jars. Just not sure if I should hang the whole plant or section out the branches and for how long. Some say until the stems snap, some say till they bend almost to the point of snapping. Then there is the temperature/humidity factor during the drying process before you jar them. 45% to 60% humidity temps in the mid 60s to mid 70s sound right? I have been looking at Humidity Control Cabinets but they are very expensive. Seen some for Cigars that look pretty decent where you can control the humidity/temps for storage/curing. I know the key is time and patience which is fine. I just want to do it right. I don't care how long it takes. I just want that dank smell to come through where there is no hay smell whatsoever. I think many people don't really put as much emphasis on the dry/cure process and it is so crucial and can't be overlooked if you are looking to reap the rewards of all the time, effort and money you put into the grow. Any input and suggestions you all have would be much appreciated. I just want to be successful. I could probably do fine with all the research I have done but hearing it from someone with experience would be really awesome!

Peace

Here are some shots of a couple of my girls before I put the chop down. First girl I cut at Day 60 the second girl day 62... I have one more Queen waiting in the wings on deck. Couple more days or so.

This Strain Night Queen is very fragrant with a lemony citrus dankness. Excellent trichome output Indica dominant.
Going for the full professional dry cure process. Can't wait to try her out.

I've found trichomes not directly exposed to light are more accurate for 'ripeness.' Inner trichome amber minimum for me is 5%, max is around 15%. You'll get varying amber on your outer trichomes, unless your light coverage is completely even.

Here's an article on Drying and Curing
https://www.wikileaf.com/thestash/jar-curing-cannabis/

The steps in the article are easy to follow along with and obtain. How and how long does it take for that hay scent to morph into the dankness we all know and love? Growing elite DNA strains and following these steps. Before you cut them you know how you can gently palm the cola upwards then plant your nose to it and it has that pungent swagger but a week after you have them hanging they don't smell that way. What's up with that? Can someone chime in with that process? I am fascinated to know...

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Here's an article on Drying and Curing
https://www.wikileaf.com/thestash/jar-curing-cannabis/

The steps in the article are easy to follow along with and obtain. How and how long does it take for that hay scent to morph into the dankness we all know and love?
Not a big fan of their advice to make sure the cannabis is completely dry. I'm sure they meant something a bit different, but ok. :)

There are two smells from chlorophyll, and they're the fresh scent and the bacteria/rotting smell. Cannabis which is faded to the finish and low on chlorophyll will smell mainly of the terpenes, with a very faint fresh cut grass smell. This smell should fade within a short while. Cannabis heavy in chlorophyll at harvest will have a heavy smell of it.

Heat above 68-70F will cause the rotted/hay smell. Too low of humidity, and enough heat to dry in 3 days and you're almost guaranteed to get all hay.

Growing elite DNA strains and following these steps. Before you cut them you know how you can gently palm the cola upwards then plant your nose to it and it has that pungent swagger but a week after you have them hanging they don't smell that way. What's up with that? Can someone chime in with that process? I am fascinated to know...
Slow down the drying process perhaps? Ideally it should take 14 days to dry. The more gentle the process, the more terpenes are preserved and the more funk you get in your jars. ;)

Malato

i second what douglas said, the longer you can take to dry the better. i find if i can slow dry for 10-14 days then burp for another two weeks that my buds are superb.

Thank you all for your comments. I have all of them chopped hanging whole plants. The first one I cut took 11 days before the stems snapped and I jarred and have been burping. The Dank smell is there and getting better each day. The second plant I cut is at day 13 and the stems are still just bending but it is close and the others are not far behind. I have boveda 62% packets and tiny hygrometers for the jars. So far so good. I don't make hash or anything else for that matter but what do you all do with all the whispy looking straggler buds that are under developed but are still caked with trichomes? For now I am just putting them in a mason jar separate from the prized nuggets. I am certain they will smoke good but just wondering what other options there are...

Peace

Malato

what do you all do with all the whispy looking straggler buds that are under developed but are still caked with trichomes? For now I am just putting them in a mason jar separate from the prized nuggets. I am certain they will smoke good but just wondering what other options there are...

Peace

I save them to cook with and give them away to women I'm seeing. Also if I have friends staying over and I'm low on my top nugs I'll usually give them a jar of the scraggly stuff to keep with them in the guest room.

I save them to cook with and give them away to women I'm seeing. Also if I have friends staying over and I'm low on my top nugs I'll usually give them a jar of the scraggly stuff to keep with them in the guest room.

Those are all good options!