What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A new start

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Haven't really had anything to update with, since I closed down the grow.
But got on with the work, on my little garden pond.

Made a waterfall filter from some plastic tubs, and a surface skimmer.

Cut to make the small one fit, inside the big one and then bolted them together with stainless bolts n nuts. With a silicone seam, between to make it tight.
Basicly splitting the big tub into a small narrov chamber, next to a larger chamber that is the smaller tub.
The bottom of the small tub is drilled, with 30 mm holes. The inlet is placed in the navor chamber, and should force the water down and up thru the bottom of the small tub.

A pump will be placed in the "skimmer tub", where surface water will flow into.
Pumped up into the waterfall, filtrated and returned to the other side of the pond.
Creating circulation, and should suck leafs and stuff floating on the surface into the skimmer. Where a net devider will prevent, leafs from cloging up the pump.

Cut a slit for the waterfall, after I secured the pond liner to the waterfall box. Clamping it between a part I cut out of the small tub, and the larger tub.
Again silicone and stainless bolts n nuts, should make it both watertight and durable.

Took a heatgun to it, and bend it open to create a lip for the waterfall.
This might very well, have to be trimmed and adjusted to get the waterflow/drop right.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Almost done with the stone work, still need a little more stones.
Around the back of the waterfall, and some smaller rocks to fill in gabs here and there.
Finaly I need to plant the last plants, and finish ende around the tree.

nickman

Veteran
Wow, nice job man...

I really like stuff like that. Will you be puttin* any fish in there?
Great idea with the waterfallll...!!!...

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Thanks for all the nice feedback and K+ y'all

@nickman Yeah the plan is to stock it with fish maybe in the spring, thinking I wanna see how it handles winter before I add fish. In case it's not deep enough, to keep it from bottom freezing. It should be, but with the stoneliner I am not 100% sure.

Either way, not adding fish untill I got a pond pump. The pump I used for the test, is a sump pump and it have a lot of lift power. Using 250W/h and a good pond pump will deliver the same amount of water at 35-50W/h as I only need to lift the water a foot.

nickman

Veteran
Thanks for all the nice feedback and K+ y'all

@nickman Yeah the plan is to stock it with fish maybe in the spring, thinking I wanna see how it handles winter before I add fish. In case it's not deep enough, to keep it from bottom freezing. It should be, but with the stoneliner I am not 100% sure.

Either way, not adding fish untill I got a pond pump. The pump I used for the test, is a sump pump and it have a lot of lift power. Using 250W/h and a good pond pump will deliver the same amount of water at 35-50W/h as I only need to lift the water a foot.

Sounds good buddy...

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Well can't really update on the growing, that isn't happning so desided to give the garage/workshop an overhaul.

The main issue is I haven't done much to this place after we got it, beside put up the table saw and thats the sinner that keep messing everytihg up bad.
Saw dust just get's everywhere, so packing everything down and do something im god at. Cabinets :D

After im done cleaning up, the plan is to remove the workbench.
Build cabinets and basicly redo everything, so it will be easyer to clean and vacuum the dust from my wood work.

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
man, its like its a spot the difference game im having a hard time not checking out what is moved haha.

nice work man

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Got the filter filled, with a bunch of old filtration materials from old aquarium filters.

Water is pumped into the narrow part, from there forced under and up into the larger chamber.

To catch string alge a brushfilter is often used, im using toilet brush heads from the 1$ store.

To hold them in place, two net's of biowheels will rest ontop of them

Blocked the side inlets with a courch filtermat, preventing bio wheels from falling thru.
The bottom is not lifted, more then 5-6 mm and the biowheels can't go out that way.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Filled the empty space with biowheels

Covered them with medium cource filter mat, to keep the biowheels in place.

Placed small rocks over the filter mats, to hold everything in place with the water flowing.

Still running with the test pump, as the pump I got delivered today was the wrong model.

Now I just need to collect the last rocks, for the edge work around the filter and tree.
Covering up the plastic edge, planting some more plants and placing more stones.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Went to the beach today, found a few small beach grass plants that was easy to pick with some root.

Took em home and planted then in the filter

Removed some stones, making space for the roots.

Stones back in place, supporting the beach grass.

Now it should only be a matter of time, and it should spread out thru out the filter.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Looking good. So when does the aquaponic grow experiment begin?

Thanks mate

I have to change something up, with the sump drain in the soilbed under the tank. It's not flowing right, so I am thinking I'll get to that next spring.
Then the pond will also be stocked with fish, and I have way to many projects on hand to think about that now :D

Workin on the workbench and what not

Latest posts

Latest posts