What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Top-feeding only... why I like it.

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello, cannabis growers. :)

I'll keep this short.

I top-feed my plants. It works wonders. Massive yields, great organic product, and the SIMPLEST, least expensive method I have ever used.

I won't go into too much detail, I just wanted to drop an idea out there for consideration and discussion.

Guano teas are great. But I don't make guano teas, my soil does.

Making a tea in water promotes many beneficial bacteria, but does it not make sense that the bacteria that colonize this tea will be water-borne bacteria? Will they not be particularly adapted for, and built to exist in aerated water?

This is how I help my soil make guano tea: I add the dry guano (and other organic material) to the top of the soil, then water it.

The water, guano and soil sit together and attract bacteria that are -from the start- adapted to life in soil, not water.

One more thing... there's a slight trick to doing this... wet the surface of the soil (that has the dry organic matter on it) and let this first shot of water "steep" the organic material for a few minutes, THEN give the rest of the water. You'll notice, in most cases, that the steeping time will release much of the organic material in a cloud of goodness. If you don't do the initial wetting of the surface and wait a few minutes, you'll not see that cloud of goodness form. When it's done properly, the final shot of water will look like water mixed with an organic nute like Earth Juice. That's when you KNOW they are getting a nice feeding of organic matter with the soil-specific bacteria you really want. ;)

Peace,
cc

P.S. This method also allows you to FLUSH ORGANIC SOILS... or at least to get as close as possible. If you start your "flush" period and notice there is still a few weeks' worth of guanos sitting on the surface of the soil, simply scrape it off! The plants will be mostly without access to nutrient within a few days. ;)

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use compost every few weeks, guanos once a week, dry meals every few weeks. Nutrition schedules depend way too much on the garden, amount of light, overall health, etcetera to be able to safely venture to give guidelines as to what to feed. The growers decide which nute is best for their plant at any given stage. :) This post is just regarding why I use this method to deploy my nutes. :)

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
CC - The few times I have tried top feeding like this - especially with guanos - I found I had issues with puddling and uneven drainage into the soil...

I'm assuming you scratch things into the surface to prevent this? If so, how deeply, and do you find this disturbs the roots?

Also - this would make me assume you add NOTHING as far as amendments being fully mixed into the medium? Along those lines - what is your base medium?

Thanks for sharing, CC - you've always posted plants with impressive yields!

dank.Frank

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I always leave space at the top of the container (at transplanting time) to allow for this slow drainage. It's a fact of life, but as long as you leave that space for the water, there's no problem associated. I also take a bamboo stake and poke some holes in the surface when it gets too slow. No worries. As far as "uneven drainage into the soil", I don't know how evenly the water goes into the soil, I can't see it. All I see is 8-15 ounces of organic pot from 3 gallon containers. :) Branches breaking under their own weight is a common issue, even when staked. I should go take some pics of my Killer Queens. Most KQ enthusiasts won't even recognize it as KQ. Even I, personally have never seen KQ as unnaturally heavy as these are. :) I've also got an ECSD in a 3 gallon pot that FLOORS me every time I see her. Shit... I'm gonna have to clean off my camera, aren't I? :)

No scratching into the soil... I just water from a height above the soil that does the "incorporating" of soil and organic matter. But as for scratching to help drainage, I never do that, personally.

My base medium is always changing because I am never able to stop trying new things. Right now, however, I am using a product called "Greenfields". I like it because it uses forest floor compost, rather than animal compost. Even though animal guanos are "natural", this doesn't mean the antibiotics and hormones and potential sadness of the farm they are raised on isn't in the shit, and therefore in the "organic" soil. That's why I like forest floor composts. The other guanos I employ are bat and seabird, which don't get antibiotics and hormone injections. This is just my own preference.

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
NOT the most flattering picture, for sure... And disregard the annoying glow from the HPS! I wasn't looking to do a professional photo shoot.

This is the ECSD clone, growing in 3 gallons of organic soil, fed by the method described in the OP. This one drinks so much, she has to be in that nursery flat to provide extra water at the base.

She is about 5.5 weeks into flower. Plenty left to go!

picture.php

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
God! These pictures suck! And it's damn near impossible to see the size, since half the branches have broken downward into the center of the plant. But this is to show the size of the plants vs the size of the containers they're in.

picture.php

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's a close-up of Harlequin. Had some bud rot issues with this one. Soooo tight, the buds couldn't sweat properly because of the density of the buds. I picked this clone up from a friend in CO. Thanks again. :) I like mixing Harlequin with OGKush... makes a really great joint! Lots of THC and LOTS of CBD. :)

picture.php

cyat

Veteran
thanks for sharing... all those plants look fuckin awesome!!! been trying this a little plants look great even in the summer heat.. been doing mex and jamaican gonna try the seabird.. i also added one tbl per plant ( only once ) of 5-10-10 dry tomato ferts.

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Huge plants in 3 gallon pots, respect.

How long after rooting do you veg those beasts for?

Crazy Composer

Medicine Planter
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And why not throw in a sativa? This one's in a 10 gallon pot, fed the same way. She is called "Lemon Skunk". Whatever she is called, her buds smell like, and her smoke smell just like Kali Mist to me. This is one of the sativas that really delivers the classic potent day-time smoke. :) I love her! :)

picture.php

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very nice examples for sure. Certainly, about 2-3x more than I pull from my 3 gallon containers...

When you say "OG" - I assume you are talking about the Legend these days...

:respect:

dank.Frank

DJXX

Veteran
when you add guano to the top ...how much do you put on top for each feeding?...do you do it in veg too??DJXX

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey CC,

I love top dressing, I don't have it down quite like you do though... I need, to build a more amended soil and, a better balance of inputs to keep everything happy

I notice that mixing the guanos with EWC helps tons with the drainage issue... also leonardite since the humics help keep the clay particles in suspension or something like that... which keeps them from compacting and allows the water to flow through, even with a high clay content.

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
when you add guano to the top ...how much do you put on top for each feeding?...do you do it in veg too??DJXX

I treat it like an outdoor plant and use an amount based on the surface area, just a good spread around, not enough to hurt the plant and if it weren't enough it can always be done again.

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Are there any other items you top dress with? My plants are no where near this size even in 5gallon, I would love to get closer to that.

watts

ohms
Veteran
Botanicare just came out with organic powder nutrients called Growilla, you feed from the top like you say.