What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Soil Information Thread

Coba

Veteran
a good soil is just like a house... w/o the occupants it's just an empty shell...

add a living family, that house becomes a home. full of life... architecture meets comfort meets necessity. memories and sentiments, built upon by our basic needs for protection and aesthetics.

where every room has it's purpose.

Just like any home, there are requirements, necessities... needed to sustain that family. from building codes to appliance placement... we have become accustomed to the amenities that we have... it's hard to live with out those basics...

soil life is not too different, it has had eons to become accustom to specific parameters found in soil necessary to sustain a happy healthy long lasting community. We shouldn't expect them to adjust to us... we should adjust our make shift microbe homes to fit their needs as well as our plant's needs.

Weird Jimmy

Licensed Patient/Caregiver & All-Around Cool Ass B
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lots of info, just wish the soil recipes called for coco everywhere they call for peat moss...

Coba

Veteran
lots of info, just wish the soil recipes called for coco everywhere they call for peat moss...

coco vs. peat moss vs. leaf litter vs. pine needles vs. compost vs. tree bark vs. ... whatever
if you understand what each individual component brings to the table, it should be no issue interchanging each component with it's modern counterpart or a component mix there of.

Allowing each enough space to custom match an exact equivalent to a natural living soil as much as the grower intends.

the main components to living soil (according to the UF studies) are 50% air. and 40% "mineral material".

OM (organic matter, peat, coco, leaf litter, compost... all of it) coming in at 10%.

loam is the best mineral material (40% sand 40% silt 20% clay). good quality loam being 40% of good quality living soil, everything else can just be your favorite brand of filler...

Coba

Veteran
I wonder how this whole soil thing translates into outdoor natural environments (i.e a vineyard, or ) vs synthetic man made indoor environments.

bucketswithsoil

support your local surfboard builder...
a good soil is just like a house... w/o the occupants it's just an empty shell...

add a living family, that house becomes a home. full of life... architecture meets comfort meets necessity. memories and sentiments, built upon by our basic needs for protection and aesthetics

damn homie,you do love ya dirt...LOL, awesome thread, AN i love the above saying you said one page back,straight badAss....bump for some serious info...
im still waiting on my damn rock dust to arrive...LOL
where do you source ya alfalfa at/from,online?..or locally somewheres?? thks and again,killer thread buddy!!

Coba

Veteran
What's up buckets.
Thanks for the nice words. I do love me some dirt.

I source alfalfa from two local feed stores. they both sell it in 5lb bags for $4-$5.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
cool thread coba!

ATTRA seems cool i'm gonna have to do some researching!

I wonder how this whole soil thing translates into outdoor natural environments (i.e a vineyard, or ) vs synthetic man made indoor environments.

i apply everything i learn about soil to both my indoor canna and my outdoor veggie and flower gardens. certain ideas/practices are more specific to one environment than the other, but many things are translatable.

i do prefer growing outdoors under the sun and with the elements though. most of my time and energy in the indoor garden is spent trying to replicate things that nature has already figured out.