What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indoor No Till Deep Soil Bed

rrog

Veteran
Godam fascinating. I really believe this is the ultimate direction and have been telling anyone who would listen for some time now. This is a fraction of the cost of bottled ferts, making it the least expensive grow method to boot.

M

mugenbao

:yeahthats

I am really looking forward to trying this myself, thanks for the inspiration :D

mad librettist

Veteran
I wonder ... could window light be used to grow any clover varieties in trays? One could chop up the result and use it for mulch... you would be getting your N from the sun, basically

rrog

Veteran
I love the idea. I can provide a lot of access to window light with non-cannabis. I also like the low-light marriage of mushrooms down low on cannabis soil surface.

Intuitively, I think you are exactly correct in that the entire no-till system needs symbiotic plants to complete the picture

rootfingers

I wonder what the acceptable/ideal leaf temp range would be?

The reason I use a infrared thermometer is to make sure/see what level of transpiration is happening. I assume the cooler the leaf temp compared to ambient temps the higher the rate of transpiration. Not sure if this stands up to scientific scrutiny.

On a side note, I Really love what is happening in this thread, thanks for the contribution. This style is really going to catch on I'd bet.

I

Iron_Lion

. This is a fraction of the cost of bottled ferts, making it the least expensive grow method to boot.

Soil recycling in general saves so much $$, the hardest part is coming up with a recipe that works.

I used to spend a few hundred on soil per grow, now for like 50 bucks I can make a hundred gallons or more of soil and have enough amendments left over to feed thru the entire grow.

Only down side is it saves a lot of money but it is way more physical work.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Only down side is it saves a lot of money but it is way more physical work.

I'm sort of glad that it makes me work,it's good exercise running 6k with 90% of the pots NOT being no-till. Keeps me in shape in the core bending and stretching,lifting,tying,staking,etc.
An absolute unique form of Thai Chi...'Indoor Chamber Gardening Thai Chi'.... Yet the older I get and with my own medical issues,there's no way I can continue to mix soil,lift pots,etc.as I succumb to those injuries over time.
This is also another important aspect of the no-till concept. It makes it easy for a disabled patient to grow their own medicine. Of course considering they have help in the initial set up.

I

Iron_Lion

I'm sort of glad that it makes me work,it's good exercise running 6k with 90% of the pots NOT being no-till. Keeps me in shape in the core bending and stretching,lifting,tying,staking,etc.
An absolute unique form of Thai Chi...'Indoor Chamber Gardening Thai Chi'.... Yet the older I get and with my own medical issues,there's no way I can continue to mix soil,lift pots,etc.as I succumb to those injuries over time.
This is also another important aspect of the no-till concept. It makes it easy for a disabled patient to grow their own medicine. Of course considering they have help in the initial set up.

Time to buy a cement mixer for the basement :D

Rusty420

Which would then even make it possible for someone in a wheelchair to mix soil. Man I'd hate to think I end up going dro at 75 bro.....lol

thats what kids are for no, grow them on untill they big enough to mix soil for daddy...;)

have re planted a couple of plants no till in this next run, the soil was only holding a vegging seedling so i spose it be ok..how do you re amend no till?? top dress only?:chin:

for sure a good idea to save the pita that is re mixing 400l+ of soil..:nono:

mad librettist

Veteran
I love the idea. I can provide a lot of access to window light with non-cannabis. I also like the low-light marriage of mushrooms down low on cannabis soil surface.

Intuitively, I think you are exactly correct in that the entire no-till system needs symbiotic plants to complete the picture

thought about this a bit more in my dreams last night...

so if clover spreads by stolons, couldn't we avoid buying seed for our clover trays by harvesting in strips, then refilling the strips with medium?

Mad,
Would it make sense to grow clover outdoors to use as a green manure for the no till or even to transplant into the soil bed?
Would it be better than using say dandelion, yarrow, comfrey etc.?
Just curious.

rrog

Veteran
Mad, a little cheese cutter, slightly modified would be like a sod cutter. You have a great idea here. Perpetual Nitrogen fixing for free.

Couple shots from tonight. Day 56. Two weeks and counting.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 17
Thanks IronLion!
rrog, yeah I've been taking her 10 weeks mostly. Seems to be a good round number. Thanks!

I can't wait to get this no till going. It will take a few rounds for this bed to hit stride but I have a feeling it will be quite a site to behold in a few months. Just guessing.

I can't wait to get this no till going. It will take a few rounds for this bed to hit stride but I have a feeling it will be quite a site to behold in a few months. Just guessing.

I think that's a safe guess! :kos:

Latest posts

Latest posts